Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Spotted: 2 LS7.R engines at Katech!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 10:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up Spotted: 2 LS7.R engines at Katech!

I was in Detroit over the weekend for the Detroit Auto Show so I called Jason (user Katech on the board) at Katech and asked for a quick tour. He was nice enough to stay after hours for my son and me because we drove in.

Let me start by saying how impressed I was with the staff, equipment and overall facilities. This is a state-of-the art, first-class operation from top to bottom dedicated to Gen III/IV engine development. The first thing you notice is there are Gen III/IV parts in almost every room; from LS2 blocks, LS7 heads, LS6 heads, LS7 pistons, etc everywhere. Wow!

I wasn't allowed to take pictures of the engines, which is understandable so I included a picture from of the LS7.R installed in a C6-R. Note, it has a huge engine cover, which covers the entire top of the engine. The two engines at Katech had no covers on them.

Anyway, as Jason guided me through the building, he pointed to the floor and there they were... 2 complete LS7.R engines waiting to be shipped to their respective race cars. For a LS1 gearhead this was a rare opportunity to get a chance to examine these incredibly breathtaking engines in detail up close.

The most striking part of the LS7.R is the true carbon fiber intake that has raised runners with twin plenums and throttle bodies. The valve covers are also true carbon fiber with a red Chevrolet logo. You can see how the coils are relocated to the front of the engine which really cleans up the engine look. Jason mentioned all of the LS7.R engines have restrictor plates installed which greatly reduces the power. I asked if they have ever run an unrestricted engine on the dyno and if so what was the power, he said they did and it was easily double the power (maybe Jason can step in and give some numbers).

Jason also mentioned the LS7.R block is different than the production block as are most of the components. Either way I really appreciate the chance to see these engines in person.

Other highlights:
* Talking tech with the engineers for the CTS-VR and GTO-R programs.
* Meeting the President of Katech.
* Watching them run a durability test on a LS2 destined for a GTO-R on an engine dyno. According to the dyno operator the test is done for 3 days which simulates various engine rpms and loads to make sure it is raceworthy.
* Watching an engine technician perform a test on a LS7.R engine in the disassembly/teardown area.
* Close look at their valve covers with the available engraved logos. Looks killer.
* Receiving some free Katech merchandise including a windshield banner exactly like the one the CTS-VR car.

All in all, it was a great experience and I really appreciate the chance to visit and meet some of the staff at Katech. They are a great group of people who share our passion with these engines. I recommend anyone visiting the area to call Jason to arrange a visit. It will be well worth it.

Old 01-17-2006, 10:23 AM
12 Second Club

Very cool Gino. I want to visit there sometime. Maybe when I head out there for the formula SAE comp.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:34 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
I was in Detroit over the weekend for the Detroit Auto Show so I called Jason (user Katech on the board) at Katech and asked for a quick tour. He was nice enough to stay after hours for my son and me because we drove in.

Let me start by saying how impressed I was with the staff, equipment and overall facilities. This is a state-of-the art, first-class operation from top to bottom dedicated to Gen III/IV engine development. The first thing you notice is there are Gen III/IV parts in almost every room; from LS2 blocks, LS7 heads, LS6 heads, LS7 pistons, etc everywhere. Wow!

I wasn't allowed to take pictures of the engines, which is understandable so I included a picture from of the LS7.R installed in a C6-R. Note, it has a huge engine cover, which covers the entire top of the engine. The two engines at Katech had no covers on them.

Anyway, as Jason guided me through the building, he pointed to the floor and there they were... 2 complete LS7.R engines waiting to be shipped to their respective race cars. For a LS1 gearhead this was a rare opportunity to get a chance to examine these incredibly breathtaking engines in detail up close.

The most striking part of the LS7.R is the true carbon fiber intake that has raised runners with twin plenums and throttle bodies. The valve covers are also true carbon fiber with a red Chevrolet logo. You can see how the coils are relocated to the front of the engine which really cleans up the engine look. Jason mentioned all of the LS7.R engines have restrictor plates installed which greatly reduces the power. I asked if they have ever run an unrestricted engine on the dyno and if so what was the power, he said they did and it was easily double the power (maybe Jason can step in and give some numbers).

Jason also mentioned the LS7.R block is different than the production block as are most of the components. Either way I really appreciate the chance to see these engines in person.

Other highlights:
* Talking tech with the engineers for the CTS-VR and GTO-R programs.
* Meeting the President of Katech.
* Watching them run a durability test on a LS2 destined for a GTO-R on an engine dyno. According to the dyno operator the test is done for 3 days which simulates various engine rpms and loads to make sure it is raceworthy.
* Watching an engine technician perform a test on a LS7.R engine in the disassembly/teardown area.
* Close look at their valve covers with the available engraved logos. Looks killer.
* Receiving some free Katech merchandise including a windshield banner exactly like the one the CTS-VR car.

All in all, it was a great experience and I really appreciate the chance to visit and meet some of the staff at Katech. They are a great group of people who share our passion with these engines. I recommend anyone visiting the area to call Jason to arrange a visit. It will be well worth it.

Thanks for that great review! So everybody knows, Drkphx did some test fitting on a product we have developed so I'm happy to spend some of my time with him because he has so helpfully volunteered his time in testing.

Yes, the LS7.R breathes through 2 38mm restrictors (seen in the picture) and is engineered with these restrictors in mind. If we would to run it unrestricted, it would make about 20% more power, if we were to re-engineer it unrestricted the power could potentially double. It's anybody's guess, we've never done it. Theres no point to spending the engineering costs on something that wouldn't be allowed to race.

The engine running durability on the dyno was the GTO.R engine. It was simulating laps at Daytona for 3 days. The engine builder you saw was Ron Helzner, C6.R team engine builder with over 17 years experience in race engine building.

I'm sure I could spend hours in the parts department showing you all our products, but we were a little pressed for time. I'm glad you got to see the valve covers/coil relocation brackets though.

Before I get in trouble with the Speed World Challenge series, Pratt & Miller, and GM, I gave you a Katech vinyl sticker used on production CTS-Vs and other cars built by Katech, not the SPEED sticker used on the CTS-V.R.

I'd be happy to give any other prospective customers a tour of Katech if they are in the area (pending managment approval, scheduling etc..).
Old 01-17-2006, 10:50 AM
Shu
On The Tree

Lucky!
Old 01-17-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What kind of product did you test DrkPhx? or Jason

Is that Coil relocation bracket just for those motors or is something that would work on my f-body?
Old 01-17-2006, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Beautiful Pic!!!
Old 01-17-2006, 01:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by No Juice
What kind of product did you test DrkPhx? or Jason

Is that Coil relocation bracket just for those motors or is something that would work on my f-body?

LS2 Cam/Knock adapter harness

The coils simply mount to the a-plate on the LS7.R. We have coil relocation brackets for street cars that raise them off the valvecover.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow that is beautiful... i love twin plenums and throttle body intake setups.. looks exotic
Old 01-17-2006, 02:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Orr89rocz
wow that is beautiful... i love twin plenums and throttle body intake setups.. looks exotic
You can't see the TB in this pic. Theres 8.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

is the true carbon fiber intake that has raised runners with twin plenums and throttle bodies
You can't see the TB in this pic. Theres 8.
thats where i thought it said twin TB's. it has 8?? wow. is that what those 8 white looking circles on the engine cover are? looks to me like there is 4 runners each side, with a TB per runner.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Orr89rocz
thats where i thought it said twin TB's. it has 8?? wow. is that what those 8 white looking circles on the engine cover are? looks to me like there is 4 runners each side, with a TB per runner.
Those are retainers for the center plenum. The 8 throttle plates are in a line alternating direction. 4 runners per side, crossing through the central throttle body.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:42 PM
10 Second Club

I thought it looked vaguely similar to this Ferrari setup below, but the raised runners were not as tall and the intake plenums were connected in the middle. Please correct me if I'm wrong Jason.
Attached Thumbnails Spotted: 2 LS7.R engines at Katech!-ferrari-engine.jpg  
Old 01-17-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Junkie

if it looks like the C5R engine intakes, then i know exactly waht it looks like. i can't wait to see the C6R in action at an ALMS race before too long.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK - I am going to bite - why are there two pipe feeding the twin plenums? They look small, if they are going to feed that engine - what am I missing.
Bill
Old 01-17-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Regular

Those are the Series-mandated air restrictors. It's breathing through a pair of soda straws!
Old 01-17-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Bill's 02 Z-28 SS
OK - I am going to bite - why are there two pipe feeding the twin plenums? They look small, if they are going to feed that engine - what am I missing.
Bill
the officials decided it was unfair for a pushrod motor to be making as much power as it does and decided to make gm use restricters about the size of a silver dollar, if im not mistaken, to restrict airflow.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
I thought it looked vaguely similar to this Ferrari setup below, but the raised runners were not as tall and the intake plenums were connected in the middle. Please correct me if I'm wrong Jason.

The Ferrari is a different design. The LS7.R has 8 runners that cross in an "X". The center of the X is 8 throttle butterflys built into 1 CNC machined piece alternating direction.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Phoenix 5.7
if it looks like the C5R engine intakes, then i know exactly waht it looks like. i can't wait to see the C6R in action at an ALMS race before too long.
Different from the C5R intake. The C5R has 8 seperate throttle bodies, the LS7.R has 8 that share the same billet housing.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bill's 02 Z-28 SS
Bill
Yes, we make all that power through 2 holes the size of silver dollars. MadBill and Wnt2Go10o are right. We are forced to use the restrictors because we have an unfair advantage. On top of that, this year they have to add quite a bit of weight to the car. We have spent countless hours on our friction load test cell developing ways to reduce friction and parasitic loss on the engine to make the most of the airflow that we have. A 300hp electric motor spins the engine and measures the parasitic loss. We can therefore test different parts, procedures, and coatings to reduce the horsepower loss from friction and send more of that power through the drivetrain.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Katech
The Ferrari is a different design. The LS7.R has 8 runners that cross in an "X". The center of the X is 8 throttle butterflys built into 1 CNC machined piece alternating direction.
Thanks for the clarification. But can you do us all a favor and post some pics?
We won't tell.

Quick Reply: Spotted: 2 LS7.R engines at Katech!