Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS7 in a 98 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 06:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS7 in a 98 Z28

What parts would I need to install an LS7 in place of the LS1 in my 98

Last edited by Deeavi; 01-25-2006 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I offer this NOT knowing if the LS7 pan will fit in the F-Body k-member...

Here is what I think you will need... assuming you will stick with existing 24x reluctor wheel based tuning setup:

1) LS7 pan adaptors and custom oil lines
2) Custom 2 gallon oil tank
3) 24x reluctor wheel installed on crank
4) Early style (1X) LS2 cam sprocket
5) LS1/LS2 cam sensor adaptor harness
6) LS1/LS2 knock sensor adaptor harness
7) Injector adaptor pigtails or splice in new connectors
8) Extend MAP sensor and Fuel Vapor return solenoid wiring to new locations
9) 90MM cable style throttle body... that will fit on the LS7 intake.
10) Custom made (doesn't exist yet) harmonic balancer OR complete custom accessory drive brackets. LS7 Harmonic balancer WILL NOT line up with F-Body acc. drive.
11) Retro LS7 fuel rail for return (in your case)
12) In-tank fuel pump upgrade

And if you are gonna spend the coin on the motor... probably set a bit aside for a header back upgrade that will allow the motor to breath.

I may be missing a few details but I think that about covers it...

Bill
Old 01-25-2006, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Whew! That sounds like a lot of work.

Are you saying that my current exhaust sustem will not work? I am not sure I want to go through all the pain for the conversion that will be necessary?

I might be better of going with an LS2 based big cube motor. I will have about $20,000 total to invest.

I also need to overhaul or replace my L60E transmission, so I am just thinking about which route to go
Old 01-25-2006, 11:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Deeavi
I will have about $20,000 total to invest.
i wouldnt call building a motor an "investment". I hope that 20k is disposable income or else hold off builing a motor till u have the extra money...If you do have 20k sitting around why not put it as a down payment on a rental property :shrug:
Old 01-25-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greekss
i wouldnt call building a motor an "investment". I hope that 20k is disposable income or else hold off builing a motor till u have the extra money...If you do have 20k sitting around why not put it as a down payment on a rental property :shrug:
If you must know!

My father died last year and he had a large farm, 900 acres to be exact. My mother and I are selling a couple hundred acres for a substantail amount. My wife and I will be able to get totaly out of debt, and have a large amount of money left over. After we donate some to the Church and start her new house, I told her all I wanted was 20 grand to put into my car. She wants me to by a new one, but she doesn't unerstand MY investment in the Z28, though I might would look at a 2008 Z28. We feel fortunate to be able to do this. She and I have worked hard and are putting two kids through college. We figure we can spend a little on ourselves!

Last edited by Deeavi; 01-25-2006 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

Whew! That sounds like a lot of work.

Are you saying that my current exhaust sustem will not work? I am not sure I want to go through all the pain for the conversion that will be necessary?

I might be better of going with an LS2 based big cube motor. I will have about $20,000 total to invest.

I also need to overhaul or replace my L60E transmission, so I am just thinking about which route to go
Oh, and probably upgrade radiator too. Ya, it may sound like a lot of work but I think a factory dry sump 427 would be very cool in an F-Body. Taking the time to ask the questions and do a little research is all part of what I think would be a fun experience for you. The parts I listed are not all that expensive... comparitively speaking to the crate motor. I would get ahold of ATI (the balancer folks... not Procharger) and ask them if they are working on something for the LS7 / F-Body swap... or perhaps ask them if they would be interested in helping you. That really is the only real holdup for you I believe. Your existing Hooker headers will bolt right up... this is just my opinion... but will more than likely choke the potential the LS7 has to offer you. A 5 pinion planatary, amongst other hard parts, is in your transmissions future going with any motor capable of substantially more power than what your currently putting to the ground.

If you do most of the foot work and are pretty good with a wrench I think you could do the retrofit for under $20k.

Good Luck,
Bill
Old 01-25-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by billreid1@***.net
Oh, and probably upgrade radiator too. Ya, it may sound like a lot of work but I think a factory dry sump 427 would be very cool in an F-Body. Taking the time to ask the questions and do a little research is all part of what I think would be a fun experience for you. The parts I listed are not all that expensive... comparitively speaking to the crate motor. I would get ahold of ATI (the balancer folks... not Procharger) and ask them if they are working on something for the LS7 / F-Body swap... or perhaps ask them if they would be interested in helping you. That really is the only real holdup for you I believe. Your existing Hooker headers will bolt right up... this is just my opinion... but will more than likely choke the potential the LS7 has to offer you. A 5 pinion planatary, amongst other hard parts, is in your transmissions future going with any motor capable of substantially more power than what your currently putting to the ground.

If you do most of the foot work and are pretty good with a wrench I think you could do the retrofit for under $20k.

Good Luck,
Bill
Thanks for encouragement!

I am not sure what I am going to do right now, but I am going check around. and see what comes up. I may actually buy another car to drive so I can work on this one. Like you said, It will be a good project. My 17 year old son sure thinks so.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not just build a 408 LS2.. saves you a lot of dough..

20k on just an engine.. ick..
Old 01-25-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I might just go put the money down on a new Corvette!
Old 01-26-2006, 08:54 AM
SSU Moderator

Let me ask you this if I can.

If one were to get a BS3 box to control the engine, how many items above would be nixed? #3-#7?

Also, could the F-Body accessories be spaced forward to align with the LS7 balancer/crank pulley or is that going the wrong way?

EDIT. Looking at the accessories, wouldn't the vette stuff fit in an F-body if you relocate the alternator? Like maybe put it over on the top passenger side (PTK has a relocation kit)?

Last edited by RyanJ; 01-26-2006 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RyanJ
Let me ask you this if I can.

If one were to get a BS3 box to control the engine, how many items above would be nixed? #3-#7?

Also, could the F-Body accessories be spaced forward to align with the LS7 balancer/crank pulley or is that going the wrong way?
Good question?
Old 01-26-2006, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Just go buy a new Z06, slap a cam, longtubes and nitrous on it and call it a day.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

You might want to talk to Street and Performance. They know thier stuff. They helped a lot with my LS1 swap a year ago
Old 01-27-2006, 01:48 AM
TECH Regular

Just some thoughts... Stock LS7 about 12k not including extra's needed to install motor and swap out exhaust... bla bla bla.
That gets you 500hp to start with... add in 1 to 2k for upgrading the valvetrain cause it is so damn new.... so 14k for a 600 to 650hp power plant now add on wiring, new exhaust (ls1 headers may not match up to the exhaust of the LS7 heads). That is a large chunk of the 20k you had set aside for upgrades... but if gives you bragging rights...

-vs-

Custom built LS2 in 402 or 408 setup (SLP/Lunati/who ever) shortblock for around 3 to 4k then pair it up with ET's new Baby LS7 heads and a high end valve train... you should easily surpase the LS7's stock 500hp and the new ET heads will allow you to use your existing LS1 style headers (if you have a set). They retain the stock LS1 exhaust ports. Add in a LS7 manifold. Looking at about 8 to 10k for a built up setup but probably well above 500hp with the right valvetrain.

Or wait on the L92 motors to become available... GM's got some good parts coming down the pipe in that setup.

Shoot I'ld really suggest waiting for a L92 with a low profile mainfold and a beefed up valvetrain...
This would get you cool things like Displacement on Demand and Variable Valve timing.
That should increased Gas mileage while daily driving along with all the performance increases.

I wounder if GM will offer a retro fit for the computer (maybe painless wiring will put a kit out to retro the L92/L72 module into older cars).

Best bet take a look at the parts available and put together a total package that offers the best bang for the buck for the amount you plan on spending.

Don't forget to look into upgrading the suspension, brakes, and a roll cage (if you're looking for that kind of power I can not stress enough the importance of safety).
Old 01-27-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bring the Noise
Just some thoughts... Stock LS7 about 12k not including extra's needed to install motor and swap out exhaust... bla bla bla.
That gets you 500hp to start with... add in 1 to 2k for upgrading the valvetrain cause it is so damn new.... so 14k for a 600 to 650hp power plant now add on wiring, new exhaust (ls1 headers may not match up to the exhaust of the LS7 heads). That is a large chunk of the 20k you had set aside for upgrades... but if gives you bragging rights...

-vs-

Custom built LS2 in 402 or 408 setup (SLP/Lunati/who ever) shortblock for around 3 to 4k then pair it up with ET's new Baby LS7 heads and a high end valve train... you should easily surpase the LS7's stock 500hp and the new ET heads will allow you to use your existing LS1 style headers (if you have a set). They retain the stock LS1 exhaust ports. Add in a LS7 manifold. Looking at about 8 to 10k for a built up setup but probably well above 500hp with the right valvetrain.

Or wait on the L92 motors to become available... GM's got some good parts coming down the pipe in that setup.

Shoot I'ld really suggest waiting for a L92 with a low profile mainfold and a beefed up valvetrain...
This would get you cool things like Displacement on Demand and Variable Valve timing.
That should increased Gas mileage while daily driving along with all the performance increases.

I wounder if GM will offer a retro fit for the computer (maybe painless wiring will put a kit out to retro the L92/L72 module into older cars).

Best bet take a look at the parts available and put together a total package that offers the best bang for the buck for the amount you plan on spending.

Don't forget to look into upgrading the suspension, brakes, and a roll cage (if you're looking for that kind of power I can not stress enough the importance of safety).
You are right! The LS2 is probably the right direction to go in for now. I don't want to have to change out everything in my car to make the LS7 work.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:47 AM
Banned

Default Wow!

WOW 20k to hopup a car and a wife that can sit on your paint job and not crack it! You got the life man! I would go for the ls2 and get rid of that 4l60e
go with a 4l80e or 400 trans with overdrive kit to hold all that power.
and if yah have enough left over. get a supercharger! looks like you already have everything else!

Last edited by 98Ztwentyeight; 01-27-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Yea, i say get a 408 built for NA at 550 rwhp or build it for nitrous and upgrade your trans or..... downpayment the new z06 and cam and spray it as mentioned above.

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 02-01-2006, 09:44 AM
That's what she said...

I think you win the prize for the most unbelievably large sig in history.

It will be removed if you do not do it yourself, there is a section in a thread somewhere where someone is resizing sig pics for people. Multimedia? User support? I can't remember.

As for the ls7, its a good project if you are starting from scratch, but its not logical if you already have an LS based setup. All the good advice has already been posted
Old 02-01-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
I think you win the prize for the most unbelievably large sig in history.

It will be removed if you do not do it yourself, there is a section in a thread somewhere where someone is resizing sig pics for people. Multimedia? User support? I can't remember.

As for the ls7, its a good project if you are starting from scratch, but its not logical if you already have an LS based setup. All the good advice has already been posted
I took the picture out!

I have decided not to pursue the LS7 issue. If I keep the Z28 I will probably go the 402 route.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I took the picture out!

I have decided not to pursue the LS7 issue. If I keep the Z28 I will probably go the 402 route.
Just get a re-sleeved 427 from someone. With the right heads, it'll make close to the same power, if not just as much. You'll have a little more money left over as well. Take a look at Crager's car. 535 to the ground undercammed and older heads. Imagine what he could have with a bigger cam that is suited for everything he has plus ETP heads. I bet his motor would see 560+ without a problem. Give MTI a call. Their work is rather impressive for how tame their setups are.

Quick Reply: LS7 in a 98 Z28