Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Limit of LS2 stock bottom end?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 03:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 9ball
The pistons are part of the bottom end....no?
I think of the bottem end more of the crank, which should be able to handle around 1000HP IMO.

There are GTO guys running 550-630RWHP on daily drivers on the stock motor with no "motor" problems. I'm around 420 now with no problems. I would say you would have to worry about your drivetrain more than your motor with only 500RWHP.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:19 PM
FormerVendor

My name's not Tony, you may be confusing me with someone else, lol. But THANK YOU! for the great info....makes me a bit more at east.
No problem and there's really no need to worry about the strength of the LS1 or LS2 engine (the bottom end is quite strong) when used in combination with twin turbos, just get the tuning strategy correct frrom day one (afr and ignition timing) and run 93 octane fuel, from there on in it should be smooth sailing.

Peter
Old 02-08-2006, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

My name's not Tony, you may be confusing me with someone else, lol. But THANK YOU! for the great info....makes me a bit more at east.

Now here's another Q:

If 2 identical cars with identical motors making identical power, which car would be faster? Really, which would have a more linear power curve, AKA more area under the power curve.

I would think that a N/A application would be a bit peakier in making the high HP numbers while a FI application would be a bit more linear, thus making it the faster of the identical cars (with identical drivers if you want to really get technical). Am I wrong in this assumption? Is the N/A actually better?

Just so it's clear, the cars would have:

Naturally-Aspirated:
Heads
Cam
Full Exhaust
Intake manifold
CAI

Forced Induction:
Roots Style SC
Full Exhaust
CAI

Saying that both these cars made exactly the same (lets say 450rwHP for argument's sake) peak HP numbers, which would have the more linear curve?

Thanks for all the helpful info folks
The FI car (assuming you mean supercharged) will defiantly have more power under the curve but it will cause more stress on the motor’s bottom end than the H/C setup. Due to the parasitic lose from driving the supercharger, the FI car will have to build higher cylinder pressures to achieve the same rwhp as the H/C car. The increased wear may be negligible at only 500rwhp but it’s hard to say.

If you got the cash get a turbo setup and you’ll have the perfect compromise between reliability, streetability, mileage, and performance.

Quick Reply: Limit of LS2 stock bottom end?