Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Why is GM continuously screwing up...Solstice

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is GM continuously screwing up...Solstice

GM has moments of brilliance...LS7 Z06...then tons of blunders that financially kick them in the nuts...is their marketing that bad?

The Solstice should have the LS2 as an engine option...blow the competition away...not bring it out as a pooch and then give it a new turbo engine...that is still a pooch. People would check the $5000 option box of a $20k car to have the LS2 inside. Not let the aftermarket do it. My coworkers are all buying Miatas and that is the better choice but it shouldnt even be close. GM wants to be mediocre.

That new Tahoe is bland and still a pooch. No reason the Hemi motor is top dog over GM trucks/SUVs...a 350-400hp LS2 should be an option....just like the Duramax in the Suburban/Avalanche. Most people here have long switched over to Titans which is a much better pickup. An SS Avalanche with a 350hp 6.0L should have been out years ago. And now the trailblazer SS comes out and its competition has 425hp...loses in every performance catagory to the JEEP SRT8. 395hp is playing catchup...making us soup them up the right way.

Its bad enough their designs are bland (chevy cars) but when you have all that HP in your arsenal and dont use it...they deserve to be in financial trouble. A new Camaro is an disaster waiting to happen.

What do you guys really think is the problem?
Old 02-06-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Guys like us arent the President of GM?
Old 02-06-2006, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

GM is ruled by weenies and is slowly dying like the rest of American manufacturering
Old 02-06-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually, that grassroots motorsports mag took 3 cars out to a road race track and did a time comparison. A stock Solstice, a new Miata, and a 99 race prepped modded Miata. The Solstice (not even a turbo one) blew the doors off of the new Miata and was almost running the same track times as the older model that was actually a fast track car. I don't know what your beef is or were you get the idea the new miata is a better car. Sure, it'd be cool with a V8, but I'm sure its a fun car as it is.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Because they know the aftermarket competitiors will do it anyways. Go see the Mallet Solstice. He already did it and offers it.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Last i heard the miata isn't the world's top-selling entry-level two-seat roadster, the solstice is according to the Automotive News today. You have to remember the people who buy that type of car, they aren't looking for a corvette.

Last edited by BanditTA; 02-06-2006 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know it's hard to believe, but I doubt GM is looking to get the quickest 1/4 mile times out of every vehicle in their lineup. It would be nice if a Solstice with an LS2 was an option, but that's not what that cars target market is looking for. It's supposed to be a cheap, fun, roadster; not a monster on the dragstrip. If you could buy a 400hp Solstice for 25K, how could GM possible justify charging double that for a slower Vette? I know the gearheads want the most possible power in every vehicle, unfortunately the majority of buyers aren't looking for the same thing.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like the Solstice...but like all the magazines say...hp/TQ would make it blow away the competition. If their target audience doesnt want it..fine...but make it an option for a NEW audience. That Mallett Solstice is BAD ***.

The Sostice isnt top selling anything...they didnt plan on making many..13k/yr?..and they cant even make them.. GM could sell 50k but they dont want to.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

I hear what your saying, but GM would probably say- if you want an LS2 vert, they have one, the C6 vert. On a good note, the Solstice will probably be great fun w/ the turbo!
Old 02-06-2006, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

If the Solstice came out with an LS2 as an option, there is no way in Hell it would be less than the Corvette....and likely detuned....

EDIT - Oh, and also the fact that it is the most hideous thing since the Aztek doesn't help either....
Old 02-06-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the Sky better than a Soltice. Has anyone seen a license plate on the front of one yet? I bet that has to look worse than our cars. I do like the fact that they are light and almost 50/50 weight distribution. That would make a fun daily driver.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

The one I sat in at the Midlands show had a front liscence plate holder and yes, it looked very out of place.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

GM understands that the demographic that buys a Solstice is not interested in tire roasting insane power. Those people are looking for a peppy little car that is fun to drive. People aren't going to drag race these things.

As far as the Tahoe is concerned, there is a reason Chevrolet sells so many of these damn things and it's because they are extremely refined vehicles. They sell themselves - go drive a Tahoe and then go drive an Expedition and I guarantee you will pick the Tahoe. The previous Tahoe model was a damn good truck, I can't imagine how nice this version will be. They also have plenty of power for what they are - again people who buy these don't care that their Tahoe doesn't run 13s stock, they aren't racing them, they are looking for decent acceleration/passing power, comfort, and reliability.

The SS Silverado is a nice truck. I was a little disappointed that it didn't have more power, but look how many more GM sells than Ford did with the Lightning. It is a much more practical vehicle.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Solstice is selling very well.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

GM has already announced the turbocharged 260 hp solstice GXP. Should cost about 4 grand more than the stock 177hp version..(plus the cost of various standard items versus the optional items...)

I don't see the need for the LS2 version. I think the turbocharged version makes more sense...(Y have two ls2 convertible two seaters)

I believe this is a smarter way for GM to go.

The price performance ratio for small 2 seat sportsters such as the Solstice and Solstice GXP adds to the customer mix rather than having an ls2 solstice competing with the Corvette convertible...

Remember these are both 2 seaters..

Next bring in the 2 + 2 camaro and GTO powered by the LS2 makes an additional customer list...

Then add in the CTS V four door luxury sports sedan..

and you're getting an additional market segment...

What GM really needs is a four door rwd automatic low 30 sedan powered by ls2. Ie..Future Impala possibly?
Old 02-07-2006, 01:14 AM
On The Tree

I agree that sticking with an I-4, whether super or turbo charged, is the smart idea, but I'm one of those guys that'd still love to see a 9,000 rpm 602ci under the hood....maybe even a supercharger sticking up thru the hood...
Old 02-07-2006, 06:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BanditTA
Last i heard the miata isn't the world's top-selling entry-level two-seat roadster, the solstice is according to the Automotive News today. You have to remember the people who buy that type of car, they aren't looking for a corvette.
Its top selling at least here in the US and in total it is the top selling roadster ever. They have sold over a million IIRC. The solstice was designed to compete with the miata and it has done so quite well. I have seen comparos of them numerous times and the miata usually comes out on top as it is slightly faster and handles better, but for GM to even put out a two seat entry level roadster is good. No one else has built anything to compete with the miata or take a chunk of the market except for Toyota, and the MR-S is gone now. I would like to see a V8 option as well, but at least there will be a good aftermarket for swapping them in as with miatas.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
GM understands that the demographic that buys a Solstice is not interested in tire roasting insane power. Those people are looking for a peppy little car that is fun to drive. People aren't going to drag race these things.

As far as the Tahoe is concerned, there is a reason Chevrolet sells so many of these damn things and it's because they are extremely refined vehicles. They sell themselves - go drive a Tahoe and then go drive an Expedition and I guarantee you will pick the Tahoe. The previous Tahoe model was a damn good truck, I can't imagine how nice this version will be. They also have plenty of power for what they are - again people who buy these don't care that their Tahoe doesn't run 13s stock, they aren't racing them, they are looking for decent acceleration/passing power, comfort, and reliability.

The SS Silverado is a nice truck. I was a little disappointed that it didn't have more power, but look how many more GM sells than Ford did with the Lightning. It is a much more practical vehicle.
Im talking about new "demographics". Why only sell to people that want a convertible pooch? Why not steal all the 350Z and S2000 with parts you have laying around and that will fit? Miata buyers are loyal..I dont know why..but they wont be buying Solstices. Just like Mustang buyers...loyal as hell even though it only has 300hp.

I dont understand the Tahoe thing but I agree they sell a ton. The 295hp 5.3L is BARELY adequate in that heavy vehicle. If you have one, get some 4:10s, air intake and cat back...and you have a completely different vehicle. Forget about the 4.8L. Just make the 6.0L an option and brag that you have the most available HP. And Tahoes dont sell on looks...they sell on discounts.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JBsZ06
GM has already announced the turbocharged 260 hp solstice GXP. Should cost about 4 grand more than the stock 177hp version..(plus the cost of various standard items versus the optional items...)
If this part is true, the turbo solstice will be anything but a pooch(not that a 260hp/260tq 2900lb car is exactly a pooch anyway). 28k loaded for a 260 horse roadster that looks amazing? Sounds good to me considering that undercuts the s2k by nearly 5 grand. The solstice needs a 6 speed in the base car but other than that its good.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

The turbo version of the solstice will have a ton of potential. Anyone who goes to the track knows the performance potential of the SRT-4. The solstice will be just as capable if not faster due to its rear drive setup.

Gm would not be able to offer the ls2 as a 5k option. There is a lot more to making an ls2 soltice than just throwing the motor in.

Quick Reply: Why is GM continuously screwing up...Solstice