Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS7 oiling help

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS7 oiling help

We are currently upgrading our LS7 to Katech forged pistions and the showroom stock cam. My question is this... would it be wise to run an oil cooler on this motor? If so, should I plumb it in line with the drysump tank? Or should I plumb it off of the boss above the oil filter??? Also does anyone know where I can find information about the torque ratings for the bolts and wheather there are any "torque to yeild bolts" other than the head bolts which I think are TTY. ~Phillip
Old 03-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Needs to finish car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The C6 Z06 runs an oil cooler; it's plumbed from the boss above the oil filter. I don't know about the bolts, though.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

I thought that was what those to oil passages were for above the oil filter. They just seemed so small!! That is why I was thinking about running it inline with the sump.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Phillipm
We are currently upgrading our LS7 to Katech forged pistions and the showroom stock cam. My question is this... would it be wise to run an oil cooler on this motor? If so, should I plumb it in line with the drysump tank? Or should I plumb it off of the boss above the oil filter??? Also does anyone know where I can find information about the torque ratings for the bolts and wheather there are any "torque to yeild bolts" other than the head bolts which I think are TTY. ~Phillip

FYI, the rod bolts are only recommended to be torqued 3 times. You probably won't find this information elsewhere. We have modified our rod bolt for use on the LS7 rod and are testing it now. Did you get your pistons yet? What CR?
Old 03-17-2006, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

Jason, I am actually sending the pistons and rods to you next week to have you guys install the rod bushings and assemble and balance the pistons. I went with the stock 11 to 1 compression. I talked to Kaleb about getting some pushrods and he sent me to Trend but the boys over there weren't sure on the length.

As for the rod bolts your saying that I can reuse these?? I am always worried about rod bolts after the LS6 bolts and how much they suck. How about the main bolts... are these torque to yields also?
Old 03-17-2006, 04:02 PM
FormerVendor

The stock rod bolts are pretty weak, at best grade 8. I'm getting some ARP 2000 upgrade bolts to test fit, I'll let you know how they work out.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Phillipm
Jason, I am actually sending the pistons and rods to you next week to have you guys install the rod bushings and assemble and balance the pistons. I went with the stock 11 to 1 compression. I talked to Kaleb about getting some pushrods and he sent me to Trend but the boys over there weren't sure on the length.

As for the rod bolts your saying that I can reuse these?? I am always worried about rod bolts after the LS6 bolts and how much they suck. How about the main bolts... are these torque to yields also?

No worries on the main bolts. The rod bolts are only recommended to be torqued 3 times. Since they torque 2x already in wixom that left us to figure out what to do for further enhancements. So far we have machined our rod bolts to work and we are looking into using those in the future.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

427ls1-- If you could let me know how that works that would be great. We need to figure something out for sure. -Phillip

Quick Reply: LS7 oiling help