Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

New Crate LS-2 rod problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Crate LS-2 rod problem

Just purchased a new 06' LS-2 crate engine and while changing the stock rod bolts to Katech's superior bolts, noticed that the No. 6 rod locks up tight to the crank at approx. 15 ft. lbs... Switched bolts made no difference... Checked upper and lower rod bearings, they look perfect except I can see a tiny contact line on both upper and lower... turns over without much effort, but clearly a problem.. No side to side movement what so ever.. Any thoughts? I will try a .001 undersize bearing to see if that helps..

Thanks - Bobby Speeddoctor04@aol.com

Last edited by Speed R; 04-04-2006 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

did you plasti-gauge it yet???

Are you saying you have "0" clearance??

I'd investigate before i run out and buy an undersize bearing.. you may be masking another problem.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Speed R
Just purchased a new 06' LS-2 crate engine and while changing the stock rod bolts to Katech's superior bolts, noticed that the No. 6 rod locks up tight to the crank at approx. 15 ft. lbs... Switched bolts made no difference... Checked upper and lower rod bearings, they look perfect except I can see a tiny contact line on both upper and lower... turns over without much effort, but clearly a problem.. No side to side movement what so ever.. Any thoughts? I will try a .001 undersize bearing to see if that helps..

Thanks - Bobby Speeddoctor04@aol.com

You just can't change out the rod bolts without resizing the rods....You're begging for trouble if you do...
Old 04-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Teching In

It's just tight on one tiny (shiny) line all the way around, maybe .020 wide...
Still the same with stock bolts...
Old 04-04-2006, 07:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With the Katech bolts you can change the bolts with out resizing. I did a lot of rebuilds with these bolts when I worked for Lingenfelter Performance Engineering. The engines were being upfitted for the asa program. After they got up fitted with the parts they went right on the engine dyno for break in. We never had any rod bolt problems with the Katech bolts. The Katech bolts don't distort the housing bore like manhy other companys bolts do.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ls1Joe
With the Katech bolts you can change the bolts with out resizing. I did a lot of rebuilds with these bolts when I worked for Lingenfelter Performance Engineering. The engines were being upfitted for the asa program. After they got up fitted with the parts they went right on the engine dyno for break in. We never had any rod bolt problems with the Katech bolts. The Katech bolts don't distort the housing bore like manhy other companys bolts do.

That might be true... But banging/pressing the bolts in and out of the rod "might" distort them... There is NO WAY I'd do it without at least checking them for size and roundness... But to each his own...
Old 04-04-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are the rod bearings chanfered ?????
Old 04-05-2006, 07:48 AM
Teching In

Stock GM bearing, I believe no chamfer.. I will figure it out today..
Old 04-05-2006, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

If its not the bearing, it cound be a bent rod or if there stock rods ,it cound be mismatch rod caps. Just trying to give you some idea's of what it cound be.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:33 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We think the rod is tight. We are going to hone it.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dune-LS1
That might be true... But banging/pressing the bolts in and out of the rod "might" distort them... There is NO WAY I'd do it without at least checking them for size and roundness... But to each his own...
the bolts dont press into these rods.
they go thru the cap and screw directly into the rod.

the cap itself is a cracked cap design that cannot slide around.

you'll find that if you do it and check, it doesnt change, and if it did, you wouldnt be able to use the rod anyway (lack of available bearings.....)
Old 04-05-2006, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MrDude_1

you'll find that if you do it and check, it doesnt change, and if it did, you wouldnt be able to use the rod anyway (lack of available bearings.....)

Just one more reason not to mess with "factory" parts. JMHO.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dune-LS1
Just one more reason not to mess with "factory" parts. JMHO.
eh, theres good and bad ideas in every part... personally i think the cracked cap concept was a GREAT idea, and i love the fact that the aftermarket is starting to do it.
sure, it sucks that its a PITA to resize the rods, but the only thing stopping us is that they dont sell the bearings yet (to my knowledge).. the main reason they dont is because of the lack of demand...

if you changed bolts, and it was still perfectly round, why would you want to resize it anyway?
Old 04-05-2006, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the input .. Removed that rod / piston today and found that the rod was .006 out of round straight across the parting lines, up and down it was perfect.. Not repairable, got a new rod coming from GM tommorrow.. Contacted the guru's at Katech and its not the first..
Old 04-07-2006, 11:06 AM
Teching In

This is a stupid question but why can't you use an LS1 bearing in an LS2, are the journals larger?

I thought they where the same crank stroke being that the cranks would have similar dimensions.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:38 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

they dont sell the bearings yet (to my knowledge).. the main reason they dont is because of the lack of demand...
Not true, Clevite makes a "P" series bearing which is meant for .002" oversize rod. I can dig up the part number if anyone is intereted...
Old 04-07-2006, 02:42 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Also, the earlier stock rods had dowels in the cap. The dowel went over the bolt and had to be pressed in/out of the cap. But still screwed into the rod.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by KCS
Also, the earlier stock rods had dowels in the cap. The dowel went over the bolt and had to be pressed in/out of the cap. But still screwed into the rod.

yea, they're a bit of a PITA to pull out when swapping to Katech bolts... my friend jeff ended up snugging the new bolts in a bit, and as he unscrewed it again, it pulled the sleeve/pin out...

btw, it is cool they make an oversize rod-bearing now... last time i checked (a LONG time ago) they didnt... someday id like to think we'll have as many options as the SBC...

Quick Reply: New Crate LS-2 rod problem