Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They do?
Old 04-18-2006, 08:13 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
lol, i just have to share this....
i cant hear this video here at work, so i finally went to listen to it on the laptop lastnight.. obviouslly, the tinny laptop speakers wouldnt do, so i pluged it into my home stereo.
it sounded cool, and i wanted to hear it clearer, so i turned it up....

in the year or so that ive lived in my apartment, ive never had any neighbors complain to me... but apparently a dyno run at 10pm is just what you need to get not one, but TWO neighbors to knock on your door.

Well I am very proud to say that I had a hand in that. Congrats! Good thing Katech is in an industrial park. I'm sure the 24 hour durability testing on the dyno would anger homeowners.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:13 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
in case anybody didnt know, LS7s have forged pistons from the factory. sweet video, BTW

This is incorrect.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
ive never had any neighbors complain to me... but apparently a dyno run at 10pm is just what you need to get not one, but TWO neighbors to knock on your door.

SHould have invited them in for a beer and enjoy the video.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thinkBIG
They do?
no. i was thinking about a different engine. don't listen to me after a night of drinking before i get my coffee. the rods and crank are forged from the factory. pistons are CAST from the factory. sorry for the confusion. OLD SCHOOL LS7s came from the factory with forged pistons.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:16 PM
Launching!

First off, slowpoke, check your sources on those pistons!!!! It may be the same place that generates dyno numbers for half of the companies on here.
If you guys think for a second that LG's car is making over 700 FWHP, you have to stop drinking the bong water!!!!
I would love nothing more than for all the other aftermarket manufactures to put their money where their mouth is and bring their engines to Katech to be engine dyno'd. This would be the only true test of what their engines would do.

I mean come on, Katech does work for GM, and I am pretty sure that if their numbers didn't match those that are obtained at the GM dyno's, someone would have something major to say.

So, until any of you can prove LG or any other dyno munbers, STOP THINKING YOU KNOW MORE THAN ANYBODY AT KATECH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-19-2006, 01:20 AM
TECH Addict

umm, did you see the post above yours?
Old 04-19-2006, 05:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MSURacing
So, until any of you can prove LG or any other dyno munbers, STOP THINKING YOU KNOW MORE THAN ANYBODY AT KATECH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So Katech is now the end all be all because they work with GM?
LG isn't some startup shop that just popped up.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:36 AM
TECH Regular

Now what was that new standard that Chevy used to test the new LS7 engine and state it was 505 hp???

Does Katech or LG use this standard too ???
Old 04-19-2006, 06:41 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Now what was that new standard that Chevy used to test the new LS7 engine and state it was 505 hp???

Does Katech or LG use this standard too ???

The new standard is SAE J-1349. This engine using that correction factor made 610hp.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:48 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good work guys.

It good to see Katech really getting more interested in the end user genIII/genIV market. Seeing that there is about a 50-55RWHP loss from a Superflow to a properly calibrated 248c when going from a C5, it'd be interesting to see what it is in a C6 Z06. The Z06 has a heavier rear end (9" ring gear, etc...) But, I'd expect 580-590 RWHP to be pretty easy.

So, for all those naysayers.

Keep in mind that Lou was running an Meziere electric WP on his car (worth some HP). The heads were milled (according to them .010 which is worth .1 in CR). But since the heads are off you can use a tighter gasket and increase quench (but I don't know for a fact they did). Just keep in mind Lou is very good at optimizing a stock engine package since thats the rules the WC guys are forced to work in...

I think Lou's headers might have picked them up just a bit over the TPIS (from what I have seen in back to back testing of them on 346's). The stock exhaust on the Ls7 is a pooch. So, in stock form it really seems to prefer a 1 3/4 over a 1 7/8. But, on a good flowing exhaust port I've seen the opposite. On a good exhaust port I"ve seen the 1 7/8 pick up 10-20HP over a 1 3/4 on the Ls1/ls6 heads. The stock Ls7 exhaust port is around 230 cfm.

I know folks who have them already in the 270 range. I've heard claims of that and higher (but who knows till its on the bench). Couple that with an intake port that really doesn't need a lot (but can get a bit more out of it if you want), and you've got a pretty stellar combo.

Finally the motor in this test is now a forged piston motor. So, there may be some increased mass from a going from a lightweight cast piston to even a light weight forging. On the motor we did even going to the lighest reasonable forged piston and rod over the stock rod piston in a 346 cost 5-10HP, but you picked up reliability.

Take all that into consideration and you may find numbers a smidge closer than you think Also, keep in mind that GM works with Katech for a reason. They didn't just fall off a turnip truck, and when the build something they engineer it to not only be fast, but to work...

Last edited by J-Rod; 04-19-2006 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by J-Rod

Take all that into consideration and you may find numbers a smidge closer than you think Also, keep in mind that GM works with Katech for a reason. They didn't just fall off a turnip truck, and when the build something they engineer it to not only be fast, but to work...

and dyno numbers dont win races. Engine reliablity gets the car too the finish line. The driver puts the car in winning position.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FAST LS1
So Katech is now the end all be all because they work with GM?
LG isn't some startup shop that just popped up.
I would like you to prove that they are not the end all. Do you know how many engines Katech has tested? Do you know how many races they have won?
I realize that LG is not a startup shop, but that doesn't mean that they advertise with the right numbers.

I have had this argument before about using SAE J-1349 vs STP J-607.

Plus, here is the biggest problem with the Dynojet Chassis dyno.
Ok, their dyno's work off of inertia. So, knowing that the inertia of the wheel isn't changing, you can calculate the horsepower based on how fast you spin it.

This sort of for a-b testing. The reason it sort of works is when you start making more horsepower, the iertia wheel keeps inertia. So, what happens is that the stored energy carries the horsepower peak out 100 - 300 RPM farther than it actually occurs. And, we all know what happens when you make the same power farther up in the RPM band, it has more horsepower.

Well, I am goign to let you consume this information.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MSURacing
I would like you to prove that they are not the end all. Do you know how many engines Katech has tested? Do you know how many races they have won?
I realize that LG is not a startup shop, but that doesn't mean that they advertise with the right numbers.

I have had this argument before about using SAE J-1349 vs STP J-607.

Plus, here is the biggest problem with the Dynojet Chassis dyno.
Ok, their dyno's work off of inertia. So, knowing that the inertia of the wheel isn't changing, you can calculate the horsepower based on how fast you spin it.

This sort of for a-b testing. The reason it sort of works is when you start making more horsepower, the iertia wheel keeps inertia. So, what happens is that the stored energy carries the horsepower peak out 100 - 300 RPM farther than it actually occurs. And, we all know what happens when you make the same power farther up in the RPM band, it has more horsepower.

Well, I am goign to let you consume this information.
Yep, I agree. A lot, "stuff," on the internet.

Just about anyone can put in a super large cam, run a motor up for a momement for dyno run to high rpm, AFR to the edge, timing to the edge, torco in tank, dyno in the night, light a cigarette next to barometer, straight thru exhaust, carbon fiber shaft, electric pump, etc. to make a big number. As long as they post the information that they did this upfront, it great then, that they post the results. As long as they are real.

This bother me, when it protrayed that this is street engine in the real world for the average consumer. I guess this is my problem. In the past five years, I have seen lot guys taken to the cleaners.

As far as Katech and the Pratt Miller contract. Trust me, with their budget they have no one to impress here and at least deal with reality, not something that will just lighten your pocket books.

I would love to see these other motors, sit on a dyno, adjacent to a Katech 427 motor for an extended period of time. Guess which one will go pop. Any vendor willing to volunteer?

And yes, GM Racing someday may pass Porsche, as the all time leader, in the most race series won. This is really big.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't doubt LG has some non-street friendly mods done to there 620rwhp LS7. The electric water pump being one of them.
Also it's not like LG isn't out racing, and winning races every weekend. I too would like to see these two engines on the dyno, since your obviously an engineer who knows that the LG engine will explode instantly while the Katech engine will run forever at WOT, running lean at that.

The point is show some proof that LG isn't getting the high dyno numbers, or that their packages aren't reliable or durable. It's easy to sing the praises of Katech, and dog these other guys but where's your proof? I can tell you how great Lingenfelter is too, but how many people on this board are running anything from Lingenfelter$$$?
Old 04-19-2006, 06:13 PM
Launching!

Ok, You know what would be great to do. Maybe all of these companies could choose to correctly correct their numbers. Maybe they should all be advertising with the SAE J-1349 correction factor. And maybe they should all have calibration procedures in place to take care of sensor variation.
Cause I know 100% that Katech has all of these systems in place and I would guess that these types of corrections are not taken into account on most other dyno's. There are exceptions, but for the most part, it would be true.

I would just really like to have each supplier take measures to give accurate numbers. There are definately standards that can be followed and it would sure be better for us as consumers to know the "real" power numbers.

The only way to prove real numbers is to have a A-B test on the same day.

The reason I can speak about the dynojet numbers is because I worked on one for 2 years, and let me tell you, they were exaggerated numbers. But what we had to do was learn not to advertise exploded numbers and get the engine on an engine dyno. We advertised those numbers.
The dynojet was a great tool to see minor changes, but like I said before, when you have a huge difference, it is goign to be hard to really know if you are getting the true numbers.
Ask any shop who has actually done testing on both an engine dyno and then a dynojet and let me know how close the numbers are. And, when you start making a lot of power, over 500hp to the wheels, ask them how close the two numbers are and you may be scared!!!!
Old 04-19-2006, 06:32 PM
Teching In

if lgm used flywheel hp then can add approx 13 % to their numbers.
if they used stp corrected dyno numbers instead of sae they can add another approx 5 %.
makes a whole lot of difference. like close to 100 horses.

dyno results are like accounting. you can make the numbers sing to your advantage.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

nevertheless, its still a badass video. its good motivation when i start feeling lazy at work.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:02 PM
Launching!

FAST LS1.

1st, I am not singling anyone out. I just do not buy all what everyone is selling, because I do not need to be sold on the number. I do think the dyno numbers can be hit, streetable and reliable is literally a matter of opinion.

2nd, you can rest assured that the money GM Racing spends in R&D, Pratt contract and Katech contract exceeds the gross earnings of every vendor here combined and then some.

3rd, they have many years with such motors. I bet that they can tell you withing 100 miles of how long one will last. This is what we did with Ferrari.
They can make motor run 24 hours of Le Mans and win over and over, year after year. Last season, with major restrictions, they beat Saleen and Austin Martin. They other guys were faster, but Katech finished.

I bet no vendor here would take on Katech in a twenty-four hour test.

LPE by the way, also has some awesome facilities as well and the crew chiefs from both the C5R & C6R program have assisted them on at least one project.

4th. I have had a Electric water pump on my 427 for two years. Works like a champ.

Last edited by BUYAMERICAN; 04-19-2006 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by J-Rod
Good work guys.

It good to see Katech really getting more interested in the end user genIII/genIV market. Seeing that there is about a 50-55RWHP loss from a Superflow to a properly calibrated 248c when going from a C5, it'd be interesting to see what it is in a C6 Z06. The Z06 has a heavier rear end (9" ring gear, etc...) But, I'd expect 580-590 RWHP to be pretty easy.

So, for all those naysayers.

Keep in mind that Lou was running an Meziere electric WP on his car (worth some HP). The heads were milled (according to them .010 which is worth .1 in CR). But since the heads are off you can use a tighter gasket and increase quench (but I don't know for a fact they did). Just keep in mind Lou is very good at optimizing a stock engine package since thats the rules the WC guys are forced to work in...

I think Lou's headers might have picked them up just a bit over the TPIS (from what I have seen in back to back testing of them on 346's). The stock exhaust on the Ls7 is a pooch. So, in stock form it really seems to prefer a 1 3/4 over a 1 7/8. But, on a good flowing exhaust port I've seen the opposite. On a good exhaust port I"ve seen the 1 7/8 pick up 10-20HP over a 1 3/4 on the Ls1/ls6 heads. The stock Ls7 exhaust port is around 230 cfm.

I know folks who have them already in the 270 range. I've heard claims of that and higher (but who knows till its on the bench). Couple that with an intake port that really doesn't need a lot (but can get a bit more out of it if you want), and you've got a pretty stellar combo.

Finally the motor in this test is now a forged piston motor. So, there may be some increased mass from a going from a lightweight cast piston to even a light weight forging. On the motor we did even going to the lighest reasonable forged piston and rod over the stock rod piston in a 346 cost 5-10HP, but you picked up reliability.

Katech forged 11:1 pistons are 60 grams lighter than stock.

Quick Reply: Katech "Street Attack LS7" 640hp 555 lb-ft + dyno video screaming 7140rpm