Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Voided warranty from oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 01:53 PM
org
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems pretty obvious that the oil was low when you got the car. No clouds of smoke, no oil slick from a leak (6 quarts in that many miles would have oil everywhere.) With so few miles on it, only two possibilities exist: either no oil when you picked it up; or huge problems with the engine. No sign of the latter. If the former, the dealer's fault since his setup man didn't check it. He's trying to avoid being dinged by GM by blowing you off, based on what you've said.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

or the shipping company has a jealous ******* and drained the oil out?
Old 04-19-2006, 03:10 PM
TECH Junkie

This just doesn't sound right for some reason. I don't see how the engine can burn ALL of its oil and not even give a slight hint about it. Even if it was drained out by someone for whatever reason (prank/jealousy/etc), doesn't your car have a low oil light , or something similar?

Your situation really sucks, I feel for you man. But like others said, get on the phone and don't take no for an answer. Good luck!
Old 04-19-2006, 06:49 PM
Banned

Probably didn't have much oil in it when you bought it. I highly doubt it burned 6qts (holds 6.5) in 1300 miles. I would go back and try to talk some sense in those stuiped asses at the dealership. If that don't work talk to someone higher in the ranks. There is either a big problem with the motor, it didn't have much oil to begin with but either way it's GM's fault and they gotta fix it.

My car hasen't burned a drop of oil. Though on the other hand I had a loud spinning noise comming from the DS/Tranny. Took it to the dealer. They did some burnouts in the parking lot (I was there) and said they couldn't find the problem. Well the problem was one bolt backed compleatly out of my flywheel and another was about to do the same. They are just lazy dumbasses down at the dealers... might as well have a bunch of monkeys work on your car IMO.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:07 PM
Teching In

currently my car is at 1500 miles.. give or take afew.. however when i took in the car is was LOW on oil. what i should have done was put some in before i took in the car.. however i didnt. now i'm taking the car to another dealer who is going to try a dianostic on the car.. (wont help anything) but they cant understand either why it would burn that much... were talking 6 qts in 1300 miles. and all highway driving. GM states that anything over 1 qt per 700-800 miles is excessive. now wtf do u call 6? i'm praying that they fix it. i'm almost positive that its a bent rod or my valves are fubared. but its not really the point of buying a 35,000.00 car and only getting 1500 miles out of an engine? i can just amagine what i'd be going through if i were to ever get it around 80,000.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Veteran

sounds like a factory defect to me!!
Thats ridiculous, sorry to hear man. Dealerships LOVE $$$$$!!
Old 04-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Teching In

One other option you have, if it comes down to it is to stand on the sales floor and start complaining about your problems with the car. This works best when there are lots of customers around.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Katech
I have worked for several dealers in the past and you should be able to get it warrantied if you sweet talk your way through it. Go to the dealer where you bought the car. They will be most inclined to help you because they want to keep your new car business.

We warrantied an engine for a customer once who went 20,000 miles before her first oil change.

HAHA LOL no one else caught that huh? Before "her" first oil change, figures only a woman could be so stupid. LOL
Old 04-19-2006, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

You are running synthetic?

try running kendall Gt-1 oil.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Katech
I have worked for several dealers in the past and you should be able to get it warrantied if you sweet talk your way through it. Go to the dealer where you bought the car. They will be most inclined to help you because they want to keep your new car business.

We warrantied an engine for a customer once who went 20,000 miles before her first oil change.
Hahhaa!! Oh My Bawhahaa!! You can sweet talk, get angry, or whatever you will still get the shaft from GM. They are a **** company and they treat their customers as such. Wonder why they are going out of business.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:56 AM
Banned

The m/f's should still honor your warranty when you only have 1500 miles on the car. Ask them again nicely, then more persuasively. Tell them if they don't honor it you will go to the local media and file a report, which will cost them more in bad publicity than the cost of honoring your new vehicle warranty. Seriously, if they don't you should go straight to the media or hire a lawyer. Teach them a lesson, don't take that ****.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

thats bs, you should not be responsible to check the oil at 1500 miles. that is just like a dealership to pull some crap like that. go to their district person and that should help. dont waste you time on those people.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i'm having a hard time following the story.......

Was the Low Oil light on?
If it was on, and you ignored it for a while, I could see how you are partially responsible. If it wasn't then how the hell are you supposed to know it's low on oil?

When you brought it to the dealer it had no oil in it?

Or

Are you saying the dealer checked the oil when you brought it in for the tick, and they are voiding the warranty, beacuse it was low 1qt of oil?
Old 04-20-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Veteran

thats ridiculous! 1qt! that normal after 1k miles! i smell scam!
Old 04-20-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did that light not come on???? That's my question.

Maintaining the car is up to you, but sweet jesus, 1500 miles is brand spanking new...I don't think many people would think to check the oil since it should be a nonissue in a new car.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

one little observation, may the shipping company have drained it before boarding the ship?
Old 04-20-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Spenser309
one little observation, may the shipping company have drained it before boarding the ship?
i dont think they would do that unless it had a leak..
Old 04-20-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

call them and get them to pull up the original repair order when they got the car in. if you bought it new then it will be a pre-delivery inspection (PDI) and if it was used then it would be a used car inspection (UCI). the tech is suppose to check all the fluids when it comes in for inspection before the car is sold. go up there in person and watch them print it out so they cant mess with it. if they didnt do an inspection on it then they are liable. make sure you get a copy of it if they show you one. now if the cant do that then get an appointment with the district manager and show him the proof that they didnt inspect it. now if they did inspect it then i would call gm customer service and see what the deal is.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Thumbs down Old Chebby rep's $.02

Something mentioned about the dash being inop? If so, then the low oil lite may not work. Didn't I see something on GTO board, that the dlrs pull a fuse to disable the speedo, dash, etc, so test drive miles won't pile up?
If that's true, does the car REALLY have only 1500 mi on it??
What does the owners manual say about checking oil?
There should be a fone # in the back of the owners manual, referring you to GM Customer service. [They will not give you the district SM's fone #... BTDT, on the trans in my Duramax.]
Demand they call the rep, and have him call you.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Resident

Any updates on the problem?

Quick Reply: Voided warranty from oil consumption