Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Voided warranty from oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voided warranty from oil consumption

recently got myself an 06 GTO 6m 18's. now i've driven about 1500 miles and well.. engine started to tick. yup i'm a dumbass for not checkin like i should have but i took it to get looked at from the dealer. needless to say in 1500 miles 7 qts went through my GTO voiding my warranty... WTF! anyways any input on this?
what are some of your cars lookin at for oil consumption?
Old 04-18-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

7 quarts in 1500 miles is rediculous

Did you run it out of oil once??
Old 04-18-2006, 08:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have worked for several dealers in the past and you should be able to get it warrantied if you sweet talk your way through it. Go to the dealer where you bought the car. They will be most inclined to help you because they want to keep your new car business.

We warrantied an engine for a customer once who went 20,000 miles before her first oil change.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:23 PM
Old Drag Racer

GM is getting as bad as Mitsubishi at denying claims for any reason at all it looks like. Burning 7 qts of oil in 1500 miles is justification for a new engine in and of itself. Am I wrong for thinking like this??? Good luck with this.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:36 PM
master of the "jack"stand

Yeah there are a lot of people that would blow an engine because of not checking the oil after 1500 miles, that is ridiculous.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rwalter14
recently got myself an 06 GTO 6m 18's. now i've driven about 1500 miles and well.. engine started to tick. yup i'm a dumbass for not checkin like i should have but i took it to get looked at from the dealer. needless to say in 1500 miles 7 qts went through my GTO voiding my warranty... WTF! anyways any input on this?
GM warranty is BS, first they give you a shitty warranty 3yr/36k, is this 1970 still?? Engines should last at least 100k easy. Then to top it they always try to void it somehow, ****** crooks.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ChevyWeatherman
Yeah there are a lot of people that would blow an engine because of not checking the oil after 1500 miles, that is ridiculous.
I never check my oil between changes. I dont consume any though.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Smokinstorm
GM is getting as bad as Mitsubishi at denying claims for any reason at all it looks like. Burning 7 qts of oil in 1500 miles is justification for a new engine in and of itself. Am I wrong for thinking like this??? Good luck with this.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:49 PM
Teching In

the thing is i'm stationed in hawaii. and if anyone has ever dealt with the people here.. you'd know how hard it is to get some good honest workers. i drove it from WA to portland.. then back to seattle to board a ship.. totalling about 1100 in alil over 2 weeks. i got the car here in hawaii last week. second day it was ticking. 7 qts and i've babied it too. how do i go about this. i'm already knee deep in it with customer service trying to regain a warranty.. thing is.. no dash lights no nothing. just the one day it make an odd sound. no leaks, the hawaii dealer even said it had the original filters.. meaning that there is no way anyone has tampered with it... I NEED HELP !
Old 04-18-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

7 qts of oil? How much oil does it even hold to begin with?
Old 04-18-2006, 11:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
7 qts of oil? How much oil does it even hold to begin with?
That's what I was thinking!

You mean it consumed ALL of the oil in the engine? (I'm assumming the LS2 holds about 7 qts?)
Old 04-19-2006, 01:32 AM
TECH Resident

If nothing else, write a letter to GM... We had some issues with Dodge warranties in the past (since we bought a $40k truck every or every second year) for instance back in 2003 we had a new 3500 (Cummins and auto), the tranny started slipping and we were about 100 miles from home and called up the service department of "the world's biggest Dodge dealership" and the Service Manager told us that with 35k the transmission was somehow not covered (yet Warranty papers show drivetrain is covered until 100k)... We ordered a new tranny from ATS, wrote Dodge a good and long letter, sent copies of receipts and everything that was relevant and ended up getting repaid for it.

But then again I have an instance where this did not work. Were coming back home (to Florida) from California in the 2005 Ram 3500 (Cummins + 6 speed), we had 68k on it (it was a few months old) and the tranny starts keeping noise like a worn bearing, nothing bad but we happened to pick it up. We stopped and called Dodge and they informed us that the warranty for the drivetrain was until 100k and I even asked "The transmission is covered until 100k too?" and they person said it is. Knowing the 2003 truck had been covered until 100k by papers too I took his word for it. So we drove back to Florida and had 70,100 miles on the truck when we got to our local Dodge dealership's Service Department, we would have stopped along the way but the noise never got worse and we were told the warranty was for another 30k miles. One of the guys puts the trucks details into his computer and tells us the transmission is out of warranty at 70k. The guy tells us Dodge may still cover it, but the dealership doesnt have a manual transmission technician nor can they start diagnoising the truck for another 2 weeks.

I called later that night to the Dodge dealership again and was told that the drivetrain was covered until 100k, and then spoke to someone else and explained what had happened and they said the only thing we can do is leave it at the dealership for them to look at it and wait a few weeks. This was just something we couldnt do, a few days was possible but not weeks. We were going to order a new transmission from the Parts Department but were told it would take about a month so we ended up having the transmission rebuilt at a local shop and wrote Dodge providing all the details. Yet they did nothing about it this time even though I feel it was an error on their part, nor would the "customer service" staff let me speak to a supervisor.

You can call GM too, but the "customer service" with their lacking automotive knowledge will probally assume you did something wrong.

Just my opinion.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:57 AM
Teching In

thats what i'm waiting on at the moment.. my car sat down at the dealer here in hawaii for 6 days before i got a returned phone call stating my oil was low.. secondly... wouldnt there be something wrong with it to make it burn all 7 qts? The book that i have states 7 qts and it was synthetic that the dealer put it. so here i am with a 35k car. which i'm afraid to run and have to engine totally go. i was told today that is about 12k to have another LS2 put in and plus the labour.. and through the dealer its going to take them 3 weeks. now i cant wait that long, and i havent even been given a rental. nor will the dealer do any maintenance to the car. i can go to the other one. but to be honest i have my doubts that they know anything. why are they so stingy on fixing one of there errors.

am i stpuid or should it be expected after spending 35k on a car that they'd fix it when it broke? how do i go approaching this issue? Legally its neglecting to throughly inspect the car when i bought it correct? I mean someone signed off on the PDI (pre delivery inspection) stating that there was all 7 qts of synthetic. and when the dealer did the oil change they droped alil less that 1 qt. so where did the oil go? no leaks and all original filters with no maintenance? obviously there was something wrong here.. or is it just me to expect better customer service? let me know what you think
Old 04-19-2006, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

That's not right of them to do! In the end you will get it all taken care of if you fight it, but that is just such a pain in the butt. This is one of the times when it doesn't pay to be nice. You will probably have to get mean with some people in oreder to get anywhere now. Good luck, Brian
Old 04-19-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

I agree with 6speeder, but remember no good will come if you start yelling at the person on the other end of the phone (they wont want to help you anymore). Just try to get to the supervisor and so on. Dont take no for an answer. Good luck.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:05 PM
Teching In

Ok I got a few questions just so I understand you bought the car new ?? How many miles are you at now?? Did they void the warranty due to no oil?? Heres the deal I'm usually on LS2GTO.com. The car holds 6.5 quarts. There are some 05 GTOs that have consumption issues. I could be wrong but in this case it seems that as long as you can prove the engine faulted thus causing the oil to vanish there should be no reason to void the warranty. Is there another dealer there who can look at the car?? Some I have noticed will wash their hands of the car due to a lack of people who know how to work on them to begin with.. Lets remember that most Pontiac Dealers sell few if any of this car. I know I am not much help here but I really do feel for ya.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't see how it'd be phyiscally possible to burn that much oil without billowing blue smoke out the exhaust and/or a tremendous leak prior to it starting to tick.

Did you actually check the dipstick before took it in or when you hear it start ticking and if so, how much was on the dipstick?
Old 04-19-2006, 01:17 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As said previously. Call Customer Assistance. Also ask the local dealer for the District Managers contact info. Set up a meeting and stay calm (I know its hard to do). If he won't give you satisfaction, keep going up the chain. Eventually someone who has a brain should put the dealership back in line. Worse case...have a local news station show up. They would love a good story and the dealership prob doesn't want the bad press.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rwalter14
You should have seen a low oil level warning with at least 2 qts low. Seems that since they provide the warning and it didn't work it's their fault.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

i still dont get how they can void a warranty for this?? on what basis? I'm not understanding..

Quick Reply: Voided warranty from oil consumption