Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

402 Installed and running, but got a small issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 402 Installed and running, but got a small issue

I got the LS2 402 fired up tonight, but for some reason the cam position sensor isn't picking up anything and the RPM's don't register and HP tuners shows the SES code for the Cam position sensor. I unplugged the extension that comes with the LS2 cover that runs it to the bottom of the front cover so the Racetronix adapter harness would plug into the front cover like described in the other thread I created, but it's not working, any ideas?

Did I possibly mix up the two male connectors behind the intake, the one that goes into the MAP sensor on the back of the intake and the cam position sensor male connector, they both are identical looking? The shorter plug that runs with the fuel injector harness is the one that's in the MAP and the longer one that dangled by the bellhousing is the one that went to the Racetronix harness.

Help!!
Old 04-19-2006, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pics are here of the installed motor....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/492302-few-pics-ls2-402-installed.html
Old 04-20-2006, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Videos, crappy ones but videos .....

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2...F8-EAE7B75CD13 C.htm

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/F...79-2CD9E29E36E 0.htm
Old 04-20-2006, 09:22 AM
9 Second Club

When I fired up my 402 for the first time I got the cam position sensor code also. My ractronix harness was wired wrong. I switched the two outside wires in the harness that plugged into the front of the motor and my code went away. Do a search and you will find that other people have had this issue also.

Click on the link below and it shows which wires to switch on the harness. Let me know if it solves your problem, it did with mine.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...5&page=3&pp=10
Old 04-20-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

THANK you so much, I will try this today and see if it fixes it, if so, MAN I love this board!!!!!!!
Old 04-20-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I swapped the wires on the harness and I still have no rpms,etc. what else do you think it could be?

It's weird because the computer sees the RPM's but my tach won't show them. And it's still hard to start sometimes.

Are people swapping the pins on the SENSOR or the harness? If I switch the pins on the sensor and switch the wires back to how it came on the harness do you think that would work?

Last edited by Orange Peel; 04-20-2006 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:49 AM
9 Second Club

Switching the wires on the harness that pluged into the sensor solved my cam position sensor code. Did you remove the little extension on the timing chain cover, the harness plug into the the little extension and not directly into the sensor. I really don't know what else is could be. Could you have a loose conection in the dash somewhere, it does seems like your getting a tach signal if your HP Tuners is reading it. I think the tach signal comes from the crank sensor. My 402 was hard to start until I dailed in the VE and spark tables. Good Luck
Old 04-21-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z06kern
Switching the wires on the harness that pluged into the sensor solved my cam position sensor code. Did you remove the little extension on the timing chain cover, the harness plug into the the little extension and not directly into the sensor. I really don't know what else is could be. Could you have a loose conection in the dash somewhere, it does seems like your getting a tach signal if your HP Tuners is reading it. I think the tach signal comes from the crank sensor. My 402 was hard to start until I dailed in the VE and spark tables. Good Luck
Yes I removed the extension on the cam sensor, I took the black bracket off with it, are you guys leaving the bracket attached? I took the cam sensor out last night to look at it, it looks normal, so I'm stumped. I will check the wiring for the tach, it's just pissing me off it won't work!

My car started a lot better this morning, I ran the Racetronix harness a different way to make SURE it's clear and not pinched, etc. I just can't seem to get that SES light to go away, I reset the PCM after I messed with the sensor and wiring last night, and the light came back on.

Keep the ideas coming, I need all I can get
Old 04-21-2006, 01:37 PM
9 Second Club

Yes, I left the bracket attached. Hope you get it figured out soon.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

bad sensor maybe?
take pics of where each questionable harness is plugged in.. maybe someone can spot the gremlin
Old 04-21-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just wonder if the bracket spaces the sensor out a little from the front cover and since mine is off, the sensor is too far in and can't pick up the signal or some **** like that.

I can take some pics tonight and post them up for all to see, thanks for the suggestions guys, it really means a lot!!!!
Old 04-21-2006, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

did you do a crank position relearn?

F
Old 04-21-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Florian
did you do a crank position relearn?

F
No, don't know how and didn't know it was neccessary.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

Do it, your light will go away. First, does HPTuners have the LS2 program yet? Next, Is HPTuners a 'bi-directional' type program? If so, you should be able to do a realearn.
If not, youre motor/PCM wont sense any misfires.

F
Old 04-22-2006, 08:18 AM
Launching!

Which cam sprocket did you use? Only thing I have ever had to do is swap the outer two wires. That usually fixes the tach and the hard to start issues.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:50 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Williams
Which cam sprocket did you use? Only thing I have ever had to do is swap the outer two wires. That usually fixes the tach and the hard to start issues.
+1....
Old 04-22-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used the LS2 cam sprocket with a JWIS timing chain. I swapped the outer wires back to the way they came, no luck, I tried them back to the swap way, no luck. It's weird, the tach will jump up to 1k RIGHT when the car is started then fall to 0, I don't know if it's just a default to do that or what, but this sucks.

I'm sure my buddy who is tuning it that has HP Tuners can do the relearn, but I don't know if it will even do anything.

And what does he have to change on HP tuners for the LS2 motor? He put the new injector size in there, messed with the MAF table, etc, just to get it to idle, which it does, but we are planning to do a street tune today hopefully. If there is something he needs to change on HP Tuners for the LS2 cam sprocket or something weird PLEASE let me know.

Thanks for the help so far!!!
Old 05-30-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am having the exact same problem with my 402. Did you ever figure yours out?
Old 05-30-2006, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z06kern
When I fired up my 402 for the first time I got the cam position sensor code also. My ractronix harness was wired wrong. I switched the two outside wires in the harness that plugged into the front of the motor and my code went away. Do a search and you will find that other people have had this issue also.

Click on the link below and it shows which wires to switch on the harness. Let me know if it solves your problem, it did with mine.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...5&page=3&pp=10

I did the same thing and it fixed my problem...
Old 06-01-2006, 12:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Florian
Do it, your light will go away. First, does HPTuners have the LS2 program yet? Next, Is HPTuners a 'bi-directional' type program? If so, you should be able to do a realearn.
If not, youre motor/PCM wont sense any misfires.
HP Tuners can read and program LS1/LS2 ECU's and HP Tuners has had LS2 support since build 2.04 at least.

Quick Reply: 402 Installed and running, but got a small issue