Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 Stroker/Smoker - Does your's smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS2 Stroker/Smoker - Does your's smoke?

Trying to decide on the next engine. This is for a nice street car. I like the idea of an LS2 stoker but I hear a lot of stories about them smoking. I know about the sleeve length but I'm trying to get some real world experience from people running this setup.

Does yours smoke or use oil?

Help me decide. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you build it properly it wont smoke. A very rich startup or breakin tune will make it smoke long term because it washes out the rings with the excessive fuel.

Last edited by SLED28; 09-05-2006 at 01:12 PM. Reason: mis worded
Old 09-05-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree completely with SLED, he built me my LS2 based resleeved 427ci, and it doesn't burn a drop of oil. Of course, like he said, i tuned it so it ran at stoich from start up, until you hit the gas. But, if you tune it to run rich, you'll have that engine smoking problem. You'll want it to run a little more on the lean side to prevent it from washing out the cylinders.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Same as above.We've never had a oil problem with a 402 but I tune it quickly after startup. I think people have problems because they wait to tune the car in and gas wash the motor.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the input. I won't be running juice either so I can set it up a little tighter. I think I'll pull the trigger and order up the 402 from SPDC.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Haans249 hows your car pulling?
Old 09-05-2006, 04:17 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Thanks for the input. I won't be running juice either so I can set it up a little tighter. I think I'll pull the trigger and order up the 402 from SPDC.
Glad to be of help. Let me know if ever need anything.
Thanks.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:21 PM
Teching In

WKMCD check out sleds site.SPDC just loads the motor and says have fun.Sled works with you through the whole build.Lots of pics and info!!! Goodluck!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SLED28
Glad to be of help. Let me know if ever need anything.
Thanks.

yes, as a matter of fact i need that 412, wink wink.. remember me?
Old 09-05-2006, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

PM me when ur free my good man
Old 09-05-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

Hey Hmmmm,
The motor is insane, pulls like a train I would highly recommend SLED as your builder, he really is a good man to work with.

Best Regards,
Adrian
Old 09-05-2006, 08:10 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by MyWs62FaST4u
yes, as a matter of fact i need that 412, wink wink.. remember me?
Yes I remember! BOOST
Old 09-05-2006, 08:10 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by MyWs62FaST4u
PM me when ur free my good man
PM Sent!
Old 09-05-2006, 08:12 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Haans249
Hey Hmmmm,
The motor is insane, pulls like a train I would highly recommend SLED as your builder, he really is a good man to work with.

Best Regards,
Adrian
Thankyou Adrian.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:13 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Hmmmm!
WKMCD check out sleds site.Sled works with you through the whole build.Lots of pics and info!!! Goodluck!!!
Thanks Hmmmm! Appreciate the kind words.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:31 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Trying to decide on the next engine. This is for a nice street car. I like the idea of an LS2 stoker but I hear a lot of stories about them smoking. I know about the sleeve length but I'm trying to get some real world experience from people running this setup.

Does yours smoke or use oil?

Help me decide. Thanks.
First off, when you increase the engine size by 15-20% you put a much larger load on the PCV system. You must make sure that the PCV system is working properly and that you have the correct PCV valve since there are more than one to choose from.

Secondly, there are many different types of rings, ring material, and types of oil rings to choose from. We have done a lot of research to come up with the best ring and piston package possible for both N/A and Supercharged/NOS applications.

And finally, the change in motor oil make up of the last couple of years has probably been the biggest factor of all. The oil industry has been forced to reduce the amount of ZDDP (sulfur and zinc-phosphorus) by 20% or more in their gasoline engine oils. These compounds being removed have caused an overwhelming increase in piston scuff and premature ring wear in applications with moly rings and forged pistons.

So basically what it comes down to is that the problems are not necessarily related to workmanship or quality of products used, it can be a combination of mis-matched parts, break-in procedures, etc. We have a complete information sheet on our short blocks with the break-in procedure that will make it live.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:39 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bg-sdpc
First off, when you increase the engine size by 15-20% you put a much larger load on the PCV system. You must make sure that the PCV system is working properly and that you have the correct PCV valve since there are more than one to choose from.
Brian,
As you know I recieved my shortblock from you 45 days ago and it does not smoke but, what is this about the PCV valve? Where is it? I thought we using a line from the valley cover into the intake manifold and closed valve covers except for the line from front of pass side into TB? I have a catch can inline. I thought the last PCV valve was years ago?
Bruce
Old 09-06-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

My PCV valve is inline from the intake to the valleycover, guess I never really thought about why I have it that way....but I just left it there because there was a ground wire going to the coolant plug that was connected around the PCV valve...another thing that I really don't understand why is there either.
Another thing I've always wondered as well is, if one head has PCV breathing (passenger side), and we plugged the drivers side....whats the point of the passenger side? The only thing the PCV plug point on the passenger head seems to do is draw in air (tested this by unplugging the hose).
It seems to me like the only thing that needs to be done is to hook up a line from the intake to the valleycover with no PCV valve at all.

What gives?!
Adrian
Old 09-07-2006, 06:53 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Haans249
My PCV valve is inline from the intake to the valleycover, guess I never really thought about why I have it that way....but I just left it there because there was a ground wire going to the coolant plug that was connected around the PCV valve...another thing that I really don't understand why is there either.
Another thing I've always wondered as well is, if one head has PCV breathing (passenger side), and we plugged the drivers side....whats the point of the passenger side? The only thing the PCV plug point on the passenger head seems to do is draw in air (tested this by unplugging the hose).
It seems to me like the only thing that needs to be done is to hook up a line from the intake to the valleycover with no PCV valve at all.

What gives?!
Adrian
That is the way the 04 LS1/6 and stock LS2 are, I believe- no valve
Old 09-07-2006, 11:05 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Originally Posted by See5
Brian,
As you know I recieved my shortblock from you 45 days ago and it does not smoke but, what is this about the PCV valve? Where is it? I thought we using a line from the valley cover into the intake manifold and closed valve covers except for the line from front of pass side into TB? I have a catch can inline. I thought the last PCV valve was years ago?
Bruce
Not everyone has had a problem with the PCV system but it is one of the things we found that is a cause for oil consumption in some LSX applications.

Most of the LS applications have a pcv valve or fitting as GM calls it. It is located on the rear of the drivers side valve cover. The ones that came in the factory have a large orifice and since the LSX engines are not so good about oil drain back it just acts like a vacuum cleaner. The replacement one that we found has a fixed small orifice to cut down on the oil consumption. If anyone that is not using a pcv valve is having a consumption problem and their valve cover has this provision, I would look at getting this new valve. The more crankcase evacuation you have, the better.

Quick Reply: LS2 Stroker/Smoker - Does your's smoke?