Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

TEA trick flow 225 heads came today....

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hell dont bother sending brian any heads send me a set of etp 225 @12:1 compression i will put them on and give you the numbers myself apples for apples

pm me for shipping info
Old 09-22-2006, 06:30 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rmitchell242
Look pretty sweet except for the mashed corner that ups put in one of the heads.

they are 58cc-12:1 cr, 225's and are going to swap out my lingenfelter stageIII heads that i am currently running they made 493 rwp N/A. I should have some dyno numbers for the Trick Flows with no changes other than the heads (and obviously some tuning adjustments) by the end of next week!!!

Thanks ups....
Conrats on the new purchase. It's a shame the head manufacturers feel the need to get involved with their squabbling. Next we'll have AFR in here too! I look forward to your results with them new heads. Good luck!
Old 09-22-2006, 06:40 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FST99Z
holy sheet, those are some awesome numbers, too bad I already purchased afr 225's and they are already on the car.
Don't lose any sleep....comparing flow numbers from different equipment is a WASTE of time.....comparing from the same equipment at different facilities is better but not much....still too many variables.

I would have to say the standard of testing equipment in the industry is still a SuperFlow bench, and while their 1020 and 600 units can yield different numbers they are probably within a couple of percent (the 1020 historically being a little more stingy). Our advertised numbers are from a SuperFlow and I believe so are ET's.....TEA has a FlowData bench that is a few percent higher on the intake typically and ALOT higher on the exhaust (30+ CFM's). Its something that kinda bugs me as I feel that numbers represented should be assumed to be from a SuperFlow (the industry standard) or disclosed its from a different source....this topic is highly glazed over all too often but it has been touched on in numerous threads in the past. The people in the know.....know.....others, which represent the bulk of the community, might be more easily mislead.

For instance awhile back there was a thread where Brent from TEA quoted that our 205 heads flow 268 CFM on TEA's flowbench....while I would do a double back flip if they could genuinely do that, I've been doing this long enough to know that in their current geometry and configuration that is a very unrealistic number....at least on a SuperFlow bench which once again is the equipment most widely used and therefore an industry standard by default. Note that we advertise 230 CFM's....and most of our 205's will flow right there or in the 235 range....a far cry from knocking on 270's door. Also note that we advertise our larger 225 exhaust port 20 CFM stronger (part of which is attributed to the larger bore)....easy to see where I'm going with that one.

Are flow numbers the end all be all in making power....certainly not, but they are one of the more important tools used in helping consumers narrow down a cylinder head choice. Thats why the smarter folks look for independent testing or numbers at least from a known source which ultimately still makes the testing results useful.

Flowbenches, much like dyno's, all read a little different....some more than others....the only scientific comparable data of any real quality are when the parts or combinations in question are tested on the same piece of equipment....preferably by a third party that has nothing to gain from the results one way or the other.

By the way, what I'm saying here isn't just aimed at TEA....it's a situation that is very general in nature. The best advice is to look for independent results....ultimately though the dyno and the track (and independent results there) are what you should really focus on....just don't forget those numbers can vary quite a bit as well due to another dozen variables....LOL (As I typed this last paragragh it just occured to me that that it really is kind of challenging to wade thru all the info and try to determine the best course of action....especially if you dont have an intimate understanding of performance engines).

Tony M.

PS....I didnt want to disappoint anyone by NOT getting involved....LOL
Old 09-22-2006, 06:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Would the numbers on Trickflow's website, be comparable to other brands ?

http://www.trickflow.com/product/che...s1_airflow.asp
Old 09-22-2006, 06:49 PM
8 Second Club

And there you have it! More pimping.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:03 PM
Collections Hold

Default dyno

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
Send me a set of 225's and I'll put em on the dyno....I guess that is the bottom line, let me know if you're interested.

I think it would be good if we both did that Brian.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One magazine just tested a bunch of SBC heads a while back. Why dont you guys offer up your heads to GM Hi Tech for a test?
Old 09-23-2006, 03:43 AM
TECH Regular

Arrow

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Would the numbers on Trickflow's website, be comparable to other brands ?

http://www.trickflow.com/product/che...s1_airflow.asp
Based on the high exhaust numbers it looks like TEA's flowdata bench was used for the flowtesting, so the TFS heads should not be compared to other heads that have been flowed on a Superflow bench.

Basically, what Tony Mamo already said.

Last edited by Cobraeater; 09-23-2006 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:46 AM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

Which set of TEA for an LS1 would be good to get and from whom on the board?
Old 09-23-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

Question

Originally Posted by 1fastTransAm
Which set of TEA for an LS1 would be good to get and from whom on the board?
Do you mean TEA's Trickflow heads, or LS1, or LS6 heads?

If it's for your 408 you could use the Trickflow 225 , that are for 4" bores, which TEA ports and sells.

Last edited by Cobraeater; 09-23-2006 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Banned - Ed Curtis aka EDC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cary et performance
I think it would be good if we both did that Brian.
Call me. I'll fly in for that one.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

AFR , ETP , TFS , Have your tests done with an intake manifold attached for flow and then dyno. Set up three chairs in an airconditioned room . Have an Independent install,flow , dyno each . Let the numbers talk for themselfs .
Old 09-24-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Full-Force
One magazine just tested a bunch of SBC heads a while back. Why dont you guys offer up your heads to GM Hi Tech for a test?
I think that is a great idea. We need to get these 3 heads together for some kind of REAL WORLD test. I am kind of sick of hearing all the trash talking about flow numbers. Run the heads back to back on a dyno or do what cws T/A suggested. Its time to cowboy up biatches!!!!
Old 09-24-2006, 02:32 PM
Banned

I can't believe that one of the big dogs like Katech or W2W hasn't done this yet. And let's throw a set of Darts in there two just for ***** and giggles. Even though the Darts aren't CNCed like the others, it'd be nice to see what they could do as well.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:44 PM
FormerVendor

Many of us in the industry allready have flowed almost every head out there on the same bench... if we started pin-pointing cfm results, its just another can of worms and would be a mess. You guys have to just trust the people you deal with and their experience they have to offer.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:56 PM
Banned

Not talking flow numbers, rather engine dynoing the big 4.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:47 PM
Collections Hold

Default flow

I think i will just challenge Tony and Brian to a game of tex hol-em' at the pri show, I think that would be a little more fun and matter about as much as our flow number comparisons. The truth is, no matter which one of our products are put out into a test room, it will matter more who is doing the cookin' and puting the recipe together. Not to mention, we aren't the only guys out there making heads, the competition is getting tougher by the day. We have a very good product right now, and we will continue to make it better as we learn more. I am sure someone will step up and do a back to back test among all the different heads out there, but it will still end up being a drama. That is just how it happens, I would rather see a LS1 Engine masters. That would be cool.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

[ I would rather see a LS1 Engine masters. That would be cool.[/QUOTE]

Best idea I've heard all year! DO IT!
Old 09-24-2006, 06:08 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by SLED28
Many of us in the industry allready have flowed almost every head out there on the same bench... if we started pin-pointing cfm results, its just another can of worms and would be a mess. You guys have to just trust the people you deal with and their experience they have to offer.

This is 100 percent true. You couldn't have said it better.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:17 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks rick. Btw, the only way I could ever see this happening is to bring the heads to PRI and flow them in the Superflow booth on a 600 I would be glad to run the bench for you guys

Quick Reply: TEA trick flow 225 heads came today....