Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Warhawk LS7X 12deg.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay sounds good I will be talking to you all in Jan.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:42 PM
10 Second Club

what CC chambers will be available?
Old 11-26-2006, 10:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MerlinPro
Stang,
A very fair question and here's where we are now.
The head you see at the top of this thread has been tested as follows:
350/250 @ .700. The head was assembled and tested as it came in the door, as-cast, no bowl blend, porting or back-cut valves- basically nail heads. The numbers were still climbing at .900. This head will want big cams.The results directed that we relocate the valve job slightly-which is happening now. We should have a new test sample head next week with the adjustments, then we'll test again. I'll post if it happens or not to keep you up.
Almost forgot-I'm told we'll most likely change spec from 2.20 x 1.625 to EITHER of 2.275 OR 1.650. We'll test to confirm.
Thanks for asking.
MerlinPro,

I don't know quite how to put this, but why are the the numbers so low? A stock LS7 head will do 360cfm (albeit with a larger runner size) at a lower lift.

You say that this is due to these being unworked-on as-cast, but why should the as-cast flow so poorly? My understanding is that this is an aftermarket casting. All other aftermarket castings (dart, AFR, ETP) flow just fine out of the box, and don't need porting or cleanup work to do what they were designed to do.

Likely I am missing something here, and please do let me know if that is the case, but as I see it this just doesn't add up...
Old 11-26-2006, 11:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by black_knight
MerlinPro,

All other aftermarket castings (dart, AFR, ETP) flow just fine out of the box, and don't need porting or cleanup work to do what they were designed to do.

Likely I am missing something here, and please do let me know if that is the case, but as I see it this just doesn't add up...
AFR, ETP, Edelbrock/Lingenfelter, and TFS heads are all CNC ported castings. I believe Dart is the only "as cast" aftermarket head available.....maybe the Edelbrocks as well. Of course, a stock LS7 head is CNC ported as well.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:57 AM
Collections Removal

black_
As VIPRETR2 points out, all of our competitors and the General offer highly refined and developed parts. They use the best pieces they can find to optimize their designs. Their valve and valve job selections enhance a good port and chamber design.
I have taken pains to point out that this is a test piece, the first one cast and was tested as such-meaning NO development or optimizing. I have been reluctant to post any numbers as these are very preliminary.
We have been late to market which is killing us and the audience here has been very kind and patient to our soap-opera. They have been clamoring for ANY info, so, with the appropriate cautions about getting carried away, I posted the out-of-box number.
We KNOW the design can do better-we're just telling people where we're starting from-cause they want to know.
I pointed out the first round of improvements the testing indicated. We hope to have the recast piece in this week and I'll post as I said. These heads will be fertile ground for talented porters beyond what we offer-but these WILL be badass heads.
Build a bigger bore combination and these heads will put you in a club 3 seconds lower.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:58 AM
Collections Removal

383SS
64 and 72!
Old 11-27-2006, 08:03 AM
12 Second Club

I have taken pains to point out that this is a test piece
So it's not the end product; it's just a prototype. I knew I was missing something. Hopefully it will now be clear to anyone else reading.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:37 AM
10 Second Club

thanks for the info.

I would expect these to flow very similar or better than an ls7 when fully ported and with a good valve job. and be a much better head structurally among other things. like merlin said, as cast numbers are just that.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 383ss
I would expect these to flow very similar or better than an ls7 when fully ported and with a good valve job.
I think if they flow "very similar" to stock LS7's when fully ported, then there would be no point. Unported, it already looks like this test unit flows similarly to the stock LS7's so there's really no danger of that.

Since the as-cast warhawks are priced similarly to LS7 heads, they will need to beat the LS7's in as-cast form. Porting costs money, so when ported, they will need to compete with the 390-400 cfm ported LS7 stuff that is out there.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:16 PM
10 Second Club

I think if they flow "very similar" to stock LS7's when fully ported, then there would be no point. Unported, it already looks like this test unit flows similarly to the stock LS7's so there's really no danger of that.

Since the as-cast warhawks are priced similarly to LS7 heads, they will need to beat the LS7's in as-cast form. Porting costs money, so when ported, they will need to compete with the 390-400 cfm ported LS7 stuff that is out there.

sorry, guess I wasn't that clear. thats what I meant. I bet these will be as good or better PORTED than a PORTED LS7 head. plus these should be far superior in casting, strength and I'm sure have many other benefits.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

Old 12-01-2006, 07:27 AM
Collections Removal

Well in post #53 I told you guys we'd have tested a rebopped LS7X head by now but that has not happened. I'm told it will leave the machining center today and arrive here Mon.
Will advise early in the week what's up.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Well in post #53 I told you guys we'd have tested a rebopped LS7X head by now but that has not happened. I'm told it will leave the machining center today and arrive here Mon.
Will advise early in the week what's up.
Thanks for the update!
You guys are dedicated Professionals and it's obvious. Thumbs up emoticon.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:01 PM
10 Second Club

any more info on these? did you guys try the different size valves and placing?

jegs and summit actually shows these are available and will ship in 7-20 days... hydraulic and solid roller versions. I'm really wanting to know the specs on the springs for both versions; open/closed pressure and max lifts.

thanks

Last edited by 383ss; 12-17-2006 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Collections Removal

Just befor PRI this newest head was tested with only a fractional gain over the first version. The valve sizes were not increased but the locations in the chamber were repositioned slightly. It's disappointing news but we're working on a fix.
It pisses me that I started this thread on Oct 13 with a promise to post flow the end of that month. Thought we'd be shipping end of Nov.based on casting forecast.
Now it's a month later, and we've still got to look for flow that makes us happy and no way to predict accurate production time.
Because of this, no bill of materials yet selected for assembled head specs.
I do have the spring packages for our LS1X head but that's not what you're looking for.
Sorry if we're delaying your project.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:22 AM
10 Second Club

Just befor PRI this newest head was tested with only a fractional gain over the first version. The valve sizes were not increased but the locations in the chamber were repositioned slightly. It's disappointing news but we're working on a fix.
It pisses me that I started this thread on Oct 13 with a promise to post flow the end of that month. Thought we'd be shipping end of Nov.based on casting forecast.
Now it's a month later, and we've still got to look for flow that makes us happy and no way to predict accurate production time.
I do have the spring packages for our LS1X head but that's not what you're looking for.
thanks for the quick reply/update. really looking forward to some results and spring packages my project isn't being delayed yet, its currently still in the planning stages, with your block and heads near/at the top of the list for consideration. I'll be happy if I can get them by february.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:00 PM
Collections Removal

So will we...
Old 12-20-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Merlin,

When buying the bare head could a 2.16 intake valve be used on a 4.03 bore with the proper valve job on the ls7x head?

Can the heads accomodate a 9/16 head stud?
Old 12-20-2006, 03:38 PM
The know it all's know it all

Is the issue trying to increase as cast flow ??? I don;t know if you will be able to beat the cnc numbers just due to the casting flaws inherent in castings. I would say if you can get really close that leaves us regular schmoes to do our thing and improve upon the raw materials. I would think that most of what your fighting if i am reading correctly into what your saying is that you can't hit your targeted airflow numbers with the current port geometry. I would assume this is most likely valve head,seat,bowl geometry and it will always be a pain to get right. Either way I very mch appluad the effort to get a great as cast product out the door but would it be possiable to tool up a small CNC program to correct these casting flaws& short commings ( if my assumption is correct) to get the product out and leave enough meat for the rest of us to do as we will. I for one would love to just buy your casting in a semi finished state and get them finished & ported at a vendor like ET,TEA etc.Either way keep us up to date and we will be patiently waiting.

Sean
Old 12-20-2006, 07:10 PM
Collections Removal

Sean,
"...your saying is that you can't hit your targeted airflow numbers with the current port geometry. I would assume this is most likely valve head,seat,bowl geometry and it will always be a pain to get right."
Your quote is very near the mark. We are a little unhappy with the seat-to-port relationship. Our "target" numbers (as cast) are around 400 cfm and we've seen encouraging signs approaching that. That's without back cuts and other aids to flow. Just nail heads.
We know we need to "...get a great as cast product out the door " and we're close but not satisfied. Sure-we want the head to be great raw material for the smart porters out there so we're trying to give you all the best starting point we are capable of. Then you'd all have a monster head which is what we're shooting for. No one wants these on the market more than us.Can you say hemorrhaging $$?

To clarify for a moment: "...correct these casting flaws& short commings" . These are not prototype but rather first production samples to verify the dimensions and machining of the design. We're not correcting "flaws" to get flow-we are finding that the machine work needs certain corrections to get where we designed the head to be.

Let me ask you and the open forum: Is a $750, as-cast, bare casting that flows in say, the 360 @ .800 range suitable for you to use as-is or, use as raw porting material? Does everyone want a $1500-$2000 CNC 400+ head?
We'd be interested in your feed-back.

Quick Reply: Warhawk LS7X 12deg.