Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Crank Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 07:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like I have said stop playing games with it. It is not worth the aggravation. My problem is was more obvious from boost all #6 not much. I have read before once you break the factory seal on the balancer it is tough to match the original press seal. The nice thing now is I have anti-sieze on my crank bolt with it being pinned now. Life is good. I learned my lesson.

And for those who can get 240 ft/lbs god bless YA I am 6`0 and 200lbs with a 5ft breaker bar the best I can get is 180 ft/lbs. With the car in gear and emergency break on and still trying to chock wheels. Not to mention if it slips there is gonna be some serious fiberglass work needed. Good Luck to All.

Last edited by mikep2002; 11-01-2006 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done it five or six times with never a problem. It is spelled out in LS1howto. I slide my floor jack handle over the breaker bar and you can flip the car over if you want.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:40 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I've got the required 140 degrees on the bolt with the help of a jack handle on the breaker bar along with another person. The balancer didn't seem to care as it still spun....maybe it was the 500+hp and extra load from the radix it just couldn't deal with.

Seriously guys, I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do but, just trying to say that it's not uncommon at all for the balancer to spin and back the bolt out when you start driving extra accessories or start making a lot of power/torque. It doesn't happen to everyone but, the stock fastening setup was just not made to deal with some of the abuse we put it through. It is a good preventative measure to pin the crank and then you just don't have to worry about it ever coming loose.

Mine came loose as I mentioned and the balancer had the chance to start backing off the crank snout. I had a pin kit but, didn't have time to do it right then so I tightened the bolt back up and drove easy the next day because I was paranoid at that point. Who wants a 10+lb balancer flying off spinning several thousand rpm right? Now that's it pinned it's not a worry anymore, that is a nice feeling and well worth the price of a pin kit.

Quick Reply: Crank Bolt