Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

402 L92/L76 is on the road

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 05:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kevin, what's happening at 1500RPM?

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Well, you drove it. The lack of cam effect is really interesting. The torque curve on this thing is sooo flat. There is no bump at 3000rpm and another at 4500 like the 346 had. It just progressively gets stronger. Chip and I did a 5th gear roll on from 2k. I pulled him by 10 car lengths by the time we reached 100MPH...He said he felt like he was driving a Toyota. The closest thing I can describe is it's like a big electric motor.

We still need to work on that 1500RPM thing when Phil gets back. I think your probably right about the RWHP. I'm thinking 525-540 but a really big RWT number.

It may actually see a dyno soon but probably never a track. Thanks for working with Phil on the car.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98blackSS
Kevin, what's happening at 1500RPM?
PM sent
Old 12-03-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
While I agree with your points, if it were my car I would share everything because that is what the board is for. Holding back information on a public forum is just silly. Reminds me of a certain "Results with ETP Heads" post where the starter would absolutely not share cam/etc information which made it extremely hard to take anything useful from the post.

But, it isn't my car. Carry on.
I agree this thread is useless... self-appreciating... waste of forum band-width... Ancient Chinese secret... blah , blah, blah... Why even post this thread, bragging rights only???
Old 12-03-2006, 06:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SideStep
I agree this thread is useless... self-appreciating... waste of forum band-width... Ancient Chinese secret... blah , blah, blah... Why even post this thread, bragging rights only???

The interesting thing is no one here is selling cams.... It isn't like this guy is freakin Lou at LG!!! I mean if he was offering a cam to the public that would be one thing. No one was asking for a damn cam card... just input on the suggested lift and duration and what works with these heads. It isnt like this won't be out in 6 months anyway........ I am sure once all the real parts distributors get on the stick with these news GM parts his secret will be something nobody gives a rats *** about . Kudos to you guys for being the first...... this is why I give you a toast... no the fact that you think you have found something with this cam that others will not be able to do in 6 months.

my unwarranted .02 cents.

so everyone... lets all stand up and give them a pat on the back. sounds like a beast. Maybe after "somebody" gets thier lips of someone else's *** they will tell us more about this torque monster.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Junkie

You guys are real pieces of work. I give out every single spec on the build here with the exception of cam specs which I was asked not to by BRE. The reason for the post was to let everyone know that the setup works and works well.

If you want a cam, do what I did. Talk to everyone you can who seems knowledgable and make a gut level decision on who you think can produce the cam that will meet your needs.

If that's not good enough - pound sand.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Banned

Guys as I said giving you cam specs or partical cams specs only does two things:

1. Gives guys free R&D to what works and what doesn't
2. Confuse 99% of you. There is a lot more in these L92 setups than is just seen in a duration number. I'm not trying to be all knowing omnipitent ***, but unless you understand cams are more than duration, lift and LSA numbers or valve events you will not come close to actually getting something usefull out of it.

Besides I doubt this whole deal will be figured out unless someone leaks it, and it's not going to be me, kevin, phil or anyone in my shop.

Bret
Old 12-03-2006, 09:01 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

So how long before this thread is deleted too?
Old 12-03-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm glad to hear the cars running great.

Its cool to hear what can be accomplished.

I don't mind the "secrets" kept as when the time comes for me to have a motor built...I'll be paying someone who knows what the hell they are doing...so I don't need to know if thats not where your at...

Just glad to hear the cars a success...

Looking forward to continued updates on your car...

Keep it coming.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't think WKMCD deserves the grief that he is getting for not releasing the specs, because he was asked not to by someone that helped with his build. I am sure he is thankful for all the help everyone involved with the build gave to him.

On the other hand, I think the people keeping the specs secret on thier cams should be banned from the forum seeing how it is an information SHARING site and they are not contributing in any way. I think vendors should be be included in that also, which is a huge reason I would NEVER buy even a damn lugnut from LG. Most people on this forum would do anything they could to help anyone even the newbs that ask what is the best cam as their first post but then there are the people that use this forum for free R&D and then keep and hide info from the public and that is just wrong.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:09 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=WKMCD]If you want a cam, do what I did. Talk to everyone you can who seems knowledgable and make a gut level decision on who you think can produce the cam that will meet your needs.

I agree, there is A LOT that goes in to choosing a cam, not the least of which is where YOU want to make power.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:28 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Blue02Ws6
On the other hand, I think the people keeping the specs secret on thier cams should be banned from the forum seeing how it is an information SHARING site and they are not contributing in any way. I think vendors should be be included in that also, which is a huge reason I would NEVER buy even a damn lugnut from LG. Most people on this forum would do anything they could to help anyone even the newbs that ask what is the best cam as their first post but then there are the people that use this forum for free R&D and then keep and hide info from the public and that is just wrong.
You dont have to buy a lugnut from me. I dont have to sell you a lugnut either. This forum is about A lot of things, and sharing my cam specs at my discretion is up to me.

On the other hand, you can buy your LS7 cam from someone else like Greg Fell did with no one to help analyze his results other than a bunch of internet experts, and make sub par numbers with BOTH cams, let alone one. Going off of what other people say is good in theory, untill you hit the track or the dyno. Sure There are a lot of variables, and sure there are a TON of internet experts who think they can have a cam ground or port a set of heads with the best of them. There is a reason We do this for a living.

Not only do you get a proven cam that has been a staple for years, you get the tech support with it. Your car isnt making power? We can sort through the combo to find where the missing link is and what we can do to make it better.

Im certainly not going to trouble shoot a customers car for free when he has a custom ground joe schmo cam. If you worked at Cingular, are you going to help a customer who calls you and says " My Verizon phone is acting up, what can I do?"

Its a free country, Bret and Kevin have a real, live, running L92 setup. That is as far as we know. It hasnt hit the rollers yet, and we have nothing to compare it to. Therefore, this cam, or combo may yeild typical AFR/402 numbers. We dont know, we cant draw conclusions based off of a 1500 pull from a stock car. Its a stroker, Big CR at that, it should pull a stock car.

Maybe there is a reason GM put these on the trucks, maybe there is a reason they have yet to put them in a full size car yet. I dont know, do you?

Louis

Last edited by Louis; 12-03-2006 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:29 PM
Launching!

You guys quit complaining.

I can appreciate the effort that went into the build and not wanting to give knowledge earned through hard work away. I've been following this build because it was something totally different. You guys wanting cam specs, I'll agree about finding the guys at the top of their game. They want paid for designing, installing, and testing several grinds to deliver the customer a proven product.

Once again, congrats and hope to see some vids of this engine in action when you guys get it all dialed in.

Last edited by Cool_Hand_Luke; 12-03-2006 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:32 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

This thread is continuing on a downward spiral...very sad to see.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blue02Ws6
On the other hand, I think the people keeping the specs secret on thier cams should be banned from the forum seeing how it is an information SHARING site and they are not contributing in any way.
LOL now that's funny, you CAN'T share your opinion on a sponsors products if you have a educated opinion, so why should someone give out free info???? There is no way that this place is a FREE sharing of information and opinions and never will be if anyone is paying to "sponsor" here.

Originally Posted by Blue02WS6
then there are the people that use this forum for free R&D and then keep and hide info from the public and that is just wrong.
So using this forum for free R&D by getting free cam specs is ok? Anyone who uses this place for free R&D is a moron, period. We could do like we did before and just give out bogus specs and you would all eat it up as gospel, nobody says that doesn't happen a lot.

This place is an anomaly in the world of engines, where cam specs matter more than performance or engine output not to mention the average torque output, idle quality and drivabily.

Bret

Last edited by SStrokerAce; 12-03-2006 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WKMCD
You guys are real pieces of work. I give out every single spec on the build here with the exception of cam specs which I was asked not to by BRE. The reason for the post was to let everyone know that the setup works and works well.

If you want a cam, do what I did. Talk to everyone you can who seems knowledgable and make a gut level decision on who you think can produce the cam that will meet your needs.

If that's not good enough - pound sand.

your right... guess i was just stirrin the pot....... I was pissed Automatica missed the first field goal. lol

Still dont understand the
Old 12-03-2006, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
This thread is continuing on a downward spiral...very sad to see.
Agreed, but saying a vendor (who by definition PAYS the administration of the site to provide all of us with the information we all read on a daily basis) deserves to be kicked off the site because they are protecting their own intellectual property should not be ignored.

Let's get back to the action and stop the spec argument. It has happened far too many times in the past, if you care, search, and dig up one of the old threads. The L92/L76 info is far too innovative to contaminate with some drivel about secret specs and what 1 or 2 members' opinions of holding specs are.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Banned

i just want to hear this thing Idle dammit
Old 12-03-2006, 09:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Louis
You dont have to buy a lugnut from me. I dont have to sell you a lugnut either. This forum is about A lot of things, and sharing my cam specs at my discretion is up to me.

On the other hand, you can buy your LS7 cam from someone else like Greg Fell did with no one to help analyze his results other than a bunch of internet experts, and make sub par numbers with BOTH cams, let alone one. Going off of what other people say is good in theory, untill you hit the track or the dyno. Sure There are a lot of variables, and sure there are a TON of internet experts who think they can have a cam ground or port a set of heads with the best of them. There is a reason We do this for a living.

Not only do you get a proven cam that has been a staple for years, you get the tech support with it. Your car isnt making power? We can sort through the combo to find where the missing link is and what we can do to make it better.

Im certainly not going to trouble shoot a customers car for free when he has a custom ground joe schmo cam. If you worked at Cingular, are you going to help a customer who calls you and says " My Verizon phone is acting up, what can I do?"

Its a free country, Bret and Kevin have a real, live, running L92 setup. That is as far as we know. It hasnt hit the rollers yet, and we have nothing to compare it to. Therefore, this cam, or combo may yeild typical AFR/402 numbers. We dont know, we cant draw conclusions based off of a 1500 pull from a stock car. Its a stroker, Big CR at that, it should pull a stock car.

Maybe there is a reason GM put these on the trucks, maybe there is a reason they have yet to put them in a full size car yet. I dont know, do you?

Louis

Louis... this is apples and oranges. You have a real business with many wannabe's and copycats. This is a single and first of its kind engine build. Keeping this info a is simply being arrogant IMO. While they pat eachother on the back and congratulate for a job well done after pulling a stock car by 10 lengths, we are sitting here wondering if the cam they selected was even equivelent to a typical 402 car. I for one am anxious to see dyno and track times...... but I am sure only time will tell what this setup will do.

One thing is for sure, WE ALL GREATLY APPRECIATE this thread in its wealth of information and having the first of the sort with this setup keep the heart of the engine (the camshaft) on the down low.

Meanwhile, hopefully you or TSP or another parts distributor/manufacturer will get some numbers out on these new GM products. It would be nice for those of us building L92 combos to not have to swap cams or spend our own money for the R&D to get the right setup......... I assume that is what we all pay YOUR companies to do??? By the way...... I would buy a lugnut from you....
Old 12-03-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Louis
Yeah or you can not jump into things and make an educated decision from all the very valuable information on this board posted by people that do actually know what they are talking about. For each the few people that screw up their choice for a custom ground cam there are 10 atleast that have made great power with one by going off information that others have SHARED on this site.

Support is a very nice thing, but I have seen tons of threads on here where people have posted about poor results or problems with their setups and have recieved many replies that have lead to the solution, which imho only solidifies the fact that information sharing is the biggest part of this website.

Louis
I have no idea about this setup, that is the thing there isn't enough info to form any kind of opinion at this point for anyone to really know what this setup is all about.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:08 PM
Banned

Yep it's all about arrogance.

Quick Reply: 402 L92/L76 is on the road