Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

First impressions of my L92/L76 408 (a little long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 08:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick@Synergy
Let me start this thread to remind everyone that this thread is here to help others in their builds. This is only the first cam in this motor and we will be changing in a week or two to the next cam size. We are doing this to achieve what we really want out of this motor and to grab the best of both world. Now, the best part is this also helps everyone else out there trying to understand the new L92/L76 head and intake combo. So here it is. A break down of the car first. AND No its not Flywheel power.

99 f-body.
iron 408
11.5 CR
L92 heads, touched up exhaust.
L76 intake with UMI 90mm TB.
American Racing 1 7/8th long tubes with no cats.
Corsa catback with extra magnaflow muffler in the I-pipe for sound reasons.
42lb injectors
Ford 9inch
3.5" driveshaft.
6-speed car.
Mcloud twin disc.

This should cover most of what you need.

I am going to give out cam specs today to help other understand how simple and tame this combo is.

Cam specs. 230/242 116+2 LSA .590/.578

Customers goals where simple, TQ all the time, and fun to drive. I will admit, I wanted more powerband, but thats the great thing about trial and error, so the next cam will fit the bill even more. Enjoy.

Rick
here ya go!

Last edited by WizeAss; 12-19-2006 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dame
AS PROMISED........... the numbers are in the dyno section.
this your thread??
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/626547-l92-408-first-results.html
Old 12-19-2006, 08:21 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MrDude_1

yes sir
Old 12-19-2006, 08:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Very nice for a cam on a 116+2!

I see you must be getting older than most in here, Corsa exhaust plus and inline magnaflow to keep the noise down on top of the cam being on a 116 for nice smooth idle. I hope that does not get lost in the discussion at hand on power output.

Dave
Old 12-19-2006, 08:46 AM
10 Second Club

that is the equivelant to a stock cam in an Ls1... tame LSA.... very little lift. just a bit of duration...

man you need to go bigger!!!! you are losing at least 30-40 horses with that tame cam.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:46 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99Fbody99
Very nice for a cam on a 116+2!

I see you must be getting older than most in here, Corsa exhaust plus and inline magnaflow to keep the noise down on top of the cam being on a 116 for nice smooth idle. I hope that does not get lost in the discussion at hand on power output.

Dave

thank you VERY MUCH for pointing that out....... im sure it WILL be lost in the discussion though but since this config is STILL too loud for me..... i have decided to go back to my factory muffler AND keep the bullet inline.... i wont do that until after the new cam goes in and i get the car to the track one time.......THEN i'll go and throw away (lose) about 20-30 rwhp (someone correct me if my guess is to high/low) and go back to enjoying the car.

I figure whatever i lose in the final configuration (factory muffler & inline bullet) is a simple "jet change" away not to mention i'll be happier in the long run
Old 12-19-2006, 08:48 AM
10 Second Club

Rick at Synergy,

what do you think about the weight of the stock valves??? issues with lift and float, is that why the lift is so low?
Old 12-19-2006, 09:06 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Forteen3GT
that is the equivelant to a stock cam in an Ls1... tame LSA.... very little lift. just a bit of duration...

man you need to go bigger!!!! you are losing at least 30-40 horses with that tame cam.

exactly WHO do i need to go bigger for? if anyone wants to see what this thing will do with an "internet inspired" cam..... SEND ME SOME MONEY for labor,parts, and dynotime

Seriously though who should i install a bigger cam for?

we ARE going a TAD bigger (and i mean tad!) but not because im unhappy with the power...... more so that the cam thats about to go in was/is actually spec'd to what I WANT (as opposed to puting an on the shelf grind in there.) in plain english this cam (current) got me to about 96-97% of where i wanted to be.....im almost CERTAIN that the new cam will get me the rest of the way there: IF i get a few more rwhp out of it that'll be a plus: but not what im ultimatley looking for.

The car is FUN to drive which is what i was going for.... I had/have no intentions on being the biggest baddest L92/L76 408 owner on the internet....
i just thought i'd SHARE my real world experience with you guys... i wasn't asking for suggestions on how to make a number that the internet would be happy with

Ok im off my soapbox if i can answer any questions i will.

Dame
Old 12-19-2006, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

exactly WHO do i need to go bigger for? if anyone wants to see what this thing will do with an "internet inspired" cam..... SEND ME SOME MONEY for labor,parts, and dynotime

we ARE going a TAD bigger (and i mean tad!) but not because im unhappy with the power...... more so that the cam thats about to go in was/is actually spec'd to what I WANT (as opposed to puting an on the shelf grind in there.) in plain english this cam (current) got me to about 96-97% of where i wanted to be.....im almost CERTAIN that the new cam will get me the rest of the way there: IF i get a few more rwhp out of it that'll be a plus: but not what im ultimatley looking for.

The car is FUN to drive which is what i was going for.... I had/have no intentions on being the biggest baddest L92/L76 408 owner on the internet....
i just thought i'd SHARE my real world experience with you guys... i wasn't asking for suggestions on how to make a number that the internet would be happy with

Dame

CONGRATS dame with your car.. good to hear that u have it where you want it to be.. i could imagen what a smooth ride you have compared to mine.. .lol
Old 12-19-2006, 09:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by pewter 01 SS
CONGRATS dame with your car.. good to hear that u have it where you want it to be.. i could imagen what a smooth ride you have compared to mine.. .lol

Right on bro..... but your numbers( i saw them both) (through full exhaust) isn't anything to play with either...... i KNOW your car must be a beast.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dyno shows "Fly Wheel Power" and "Fly Wheel Torque" is that correct??? Not rear wheel???

Old 12-19-2006, 09:57 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SideStep
The dyno shows "Fly Wheel Power" and "Fly Wheel Torque" is that correct??? Not rear wheel???

Read the first post in the dyno thread

Originally Posted by Rick@Synergy
AND No its not Flywheel power.

Rick
Old 12-19-2006, 09:59 AM
10 Second Club

Dame
I just assumed you could get on a 116LSA to move the powerband, go with .610 lift and still keep the drivablility. No offense, sounds like you thought this threw. congrats.... you making 495 means those with less concerns about noise and drivability can make 535 easy!!!!

shaaaaweeeet!
Old 12-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Banned

that would be a mean street crusier. the HP/TQ is just about the same and not to far apart from eachother would just allow you to rape alot of htings on hte road and seem perfectly stock. also lets think there is so much more to be made if someoen wants to push the enevelope
Old 12-19-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Forteen3GT
I just assumed you could get on a 116LSA to move the powerband, go with .610 lift and still keep the drivablility. No offense, sounds like you thought this threw. congrats.... you making 495 means those with less concerns about noise and drivability can make 535 easy!!!!

shaaaaweeeet!
Or, how about dropping the lsa way down, going with a lot more lift. With an SD tune and 3.90's it would probably still have good drivability in a lighter car. And still make a ton of low/mid RPM torque and more peak HP.

That being said, congrats Damian for building the engine that you want.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read the first post in the dyno thread

Cool.. through a 9" rear those numbers are FAT!!!!

Old 12-19-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

AS PROMISED........... the numbers are in the dyno section.
Thanks!!!
Old 12-19-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome setup! My iron block 402 is at the shop right now. I hope I can get close to yours.

-Geoff
Old 12-19-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Right on bro..... but your numbers( i saw them both) (through full exhaust) isn't anything to play with either...... i KNOW your car must be a beast.

yeah its alright, never expected those kind of #'s either. all i was praying for was for it not to break lol.. to bad that with all the supension it doesnt hook ..pos.. you guys going to try n2o #'s with the cam or you going to wait?
Old 12-19-2006, 08:06 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I congradulate you and I understand how you feel about just wanting a really fun car on the street. You have ~500 rwhp and ~500 rwtq. Combine those with the 3.70s and that car is probably fun as hell driving around without having to shift too much. I know I hated having the 4.10s, and switched to 3.73s, but I wish I had more torque at 2000rpm. I know you don't have that problem with the amount of torque your putting down.

Congrats. Drive it like you stole it and have fun. 500/500 at the wheels must be fun as hell. I'd rather have that then 550hp/450tq.

Quick Reply: First impressions of my L92/L76 408 (a little long)