Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Is this 6.0L a blem block?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 06:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DoesSpeedTurnUon
I'm sorry, i wasn't trying to come across that way. I think i was really trying to understand your question a little bit better. Sorry.
Yeah, just curious as to what this was. All I wanted to know is what made it different. So with that outta the way.... is there some obvious differences that you can see with the DOD and VVT? It's interesting to see that GM produced another 6.0 block when they already had the LS2 out.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Yeah, just curious as to what this was. All I wanted to know is what made it different. So with that outta the way.... is there some obvious differences that you can see with the DOD and VVT? It's interesting to see that GM produced another 6.0 block when they already had the LS2 out.
I bet it's the new Vortec max motor block in the 07 trucks and it's RPO coded L76 BTW. It may be on of those blocks since the part number itn't in the system yet.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:30 AM
TECH Regular

A quick way to tell between a DOD and NON DOD motor would be the solinoid mount points in the valley.

On the LS2 they are there but were not drilled out (ie no oil flows threw them). On the Vortec Max (L76) or any other DOD Gen IV they will be functional (IE if you don't cap them off oil will flow through them and throw off your oil pressure reading). Damn shame you can't hook up a pump to see if it flows or not.

The thing I hate the most is the page is blocked at work so I can't see the images until I get home.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bring the Noise
A quick way to tell between a DOD and NON DOD motor would be the solinoid mount points in the valley.

On the LS2 they are there but were not drilled out (ie no oil flows threw them). On the Vortec Max (L76) or any other DOD Gen IV they will be functional (IE if you don't cap them off oil will flow through them and throw off your oil pressure reading). Damn shame you can't hook up a pump to see if it flows or not.

The thing I hate the most is the page is blocked at work so I can't see the images until I get home.
It's got the DOD holes and they are drilled.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:44 AM
9 Second Club

Even if it has DOD Just use the proper valley cover and it comes with O rings to seal them. If you want to go the extra mile tap them and plug them. Its kind weird how it is painted.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:58 AM
TECH Regular

Plug em, seal em, or tap em and plug em, or duck tape em (okay don't do that last one).

Sounds like the L76 block, and that is about the only difference between the LS2 and L76 block.

It's a shame it wasn't a 4.065" bore L92 block (then you could put together a 414).
Old 12-15-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bring the Noise
Plug em, seal em, or tap em and plug em, or duck tape em (okay don't do that last one).

Sounds like the L76 block, and that is about the only difference between the LS2 and L76 block.

It's a shame it wasn't a 4.065" bore L92 block (then you could put together a 414).
Yea, i was kinda hoping it might be, but then it'd say 6.2 on the front
Old 07-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Can someone post a pic of where exactly these holes are that need to be plugged?
Old 07-14-2012, 01:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Gen IV truck blocks

The 6 L and 5.3 L truck blocks have solid main bearing bulkheads, no cast in breather holes. They are stronger than other production blocks for that reason.

I got one in to sleeve about a couple of years ago. I thought was some sort of factory prototype piece. A short time later I found out it was a production truck casting.

The lack of breather holes causes a horsepower loss at high rpm (roughly 20 hp according to one of my NHRA stock eliminator customers) unless you run a good dry sump system capable of pulling a vacuum in the pan in which case there is no loss in power - tested by one of my shop customers on his dyno.

I have sleeved a good number of these blocks for big inch applications. There is one casting number 12569513 5.3 L that has non siameesed Gen III cylinder walls making it unsuitable for dry sleeving. I have not run across a 6 L block casting with non siameesed Gen III cylinder walls.

Steve

Originally Posted by DoesSpeedTurnUon
They were from an ebay auction. Is there any difference between that block and an LS2 block?
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net

Quick Reply: Is this 6.0L a blem block?