Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

looking at building an ls7 with low end torque

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at building an ls7 with low end torque

I am a newby at all this stuff, but I have been really wanting to build up an ls7 or l92 now for awhile. I will probably need someone else to do it because i am not skilled enough to do so but would like to learn. I would be putting it in my reg cab short bed gmc sierra z71. I am not looking for a high reving engine because i would rarely get it up there anyways since it is my DD. I want one that builds up lots of torque at low end but still has lots of horsepower. Basically building big block torque with more hp in a small block 427. I want to use the ls7 block and a rotating assembly with the 24x reluctor ring so that i can control it with the original computer and wiring. I was thinking about combining that with the l92 top end instead of ls7 since it was designed for the escalade and it should need alot more torque to get it going than the z06. I could be wrong, it may be all in the cam, i dont know. IF they are a different type of head and cam for this please say so. I was wanting some opinions from more knowledgable people. I know absolutly nothing when it comes to cams so any help is very appreciated.

Also if there are any threads on an engine like this, please point them out. I have been reading everything that has been posted for some time and have learned alot, but still to far away to go about building this on my own.

thanks all for any input
Old 12-14-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bobd54321
I am a newby at all this stuff, but I have been really wanting to build up an ls7 or l92 now for awhile. I will probably need someone else to do it because i am not skilled enough to do so but would like to learn. I would be putting it in my reg cab short bed gmc sierra z71. I am not looking for a high reving engine because i would rarely get it up there anyways since it is my DD. I want one that builds up lots of torque at low end but still has lots of horsepower. Basically building big block torque with more hp in a small block 427. I want to use the ls7 block and a rotating assembly with the 24x reluctor ring so that i can control it with the original computer and wiring. I was thinking about combining that with the l92 top end instead of ls7 since it was designed for the escalade and it should need alot more torque to get it going than the z06. I could be wrong, it may be all in the cam, i dont know. IF they are a different type of head and cam for this please say so. I was wanting some opinions from more knowledgable people. I know absolutly nothing when it comes to cams so any help is very appreciated.

Also if there are any threads on an engine like this, please point them out. I have been reading everything that has been posted for some time and have learned alot, but still to far away to go about building this on my own.

thanks all for any input
where do you live?

Old 12-14-2006, 08:24 PM
Teching In

ashland ky
Old 12-14-2006, 09:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bobd54321

thanks all for any input

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/571369-katech-value-427-dyno-test-3-cams.html

Check out the torque using the LS6 torquer cam in our Value 427. That was with LS6 heads and manifold.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ That is a great "value" package, because you don't have to pony up the money for LS7 heads.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:37 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

I'm building a very similar engine (regarding the quest for torque in the 2,000 to 4,500 RPM range) for my 2000 3/4 ton Yukon XL using a Comp 212/218 114* LSA cam. I'm using a cast iron 6.0 L block bored and honed to 4.031" with a 4.000" Callies DragonSlayer, CompStar Rods, custom Wiseco -18 cc pistons with Total Seal MaxSeal top Rings and the Napier second compression rings. I plan to use the Patriot Predator Heads with the small intake runners and 72 cc chambers. I want broad-band torque and the ability to run on 87 Octane. This combo yields a 9.5:1 static CR. Operating costs are a concern to me as this is my daily and the truck weighs 6,700 pounds empty with full fuel and I tow an 8,500 pound travel trailer sometimes (see thumbnail).

bobd54321,
One suggestion that I have for you is to run the truck intake with larger injectors and the truck water pump. That way, you don't have issues with the fan design and the air intake. Westech has run tests that were reported in GM High Tech Performance that show the truck and the LS6 manifolds to be neck and neck through about 5,000 to 5,500 RPM's. The engine that Jason is describing would be a great combination for what you are defining as your goals. You might also want to consider a lower CR. For instance, at 9.5:1 versus 10.5:1, I doubt that you wold loose over 5 or 6% torque or HP and the operating costs would be significantly less for a daily driver.
Attached Thumbnails looking at building an ls7 with low end torque-yukon-xl-airstream-small.jpg  
Old 12-15-2006, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Steve Bryant
bobd54321,
One suggestion that I have for you is to run the truck intake with larger injectors and the truck water pump. That way, you don't have issues with the fan design and the air intake. Westech has run tests that were reported in GM High Tech Performance that show the truck and the LS6 manifolds to be neck and neck through about 5,000 to 5,500 RPM's. The engine that Jason is describing would be a great combination for what you are defining as your goals. You might also want to consider a lower CR. For instance, at 9.5:1 versus 10.5:1, I doubt that you wold loose over 5 or 6% torque or HP and the operating costs would be significantly less for a daily driver.
I will keep that in mind. When i said that i would use the l92 top end i was meaning to use the l76 truck intake. It will be taller to match my existing hardware. If it then gets in my way, i was thinking about getting a 3/4 ton radiator and using the 05-06 silverado electric fans. I also plan on reattaching my original vortec engine cover to give it the appearance of it being bone stock with the cold air kit.

Thanks all for the opinions, keep them coming
Old 12-15-2006, 08:19 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

The 6.2 L truck intake and engine would be the L92. The 6.2 L Aussie car engine is the L76. They appear to be virtually identical engines in many aspects except for the intake, injectors, perhaps the cam and accessory mounting brackets (altenator, etc.).

Quick Reply: looking at building an ls7 with low end torque