Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Slp Zl-402 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 05:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
I know a few people as well that won't even consider putting anything SLP on their car, me included because of incidents like this one. Then the legal action the results of the teardown not being publicly known is icing on the cake.
Speed_demon24,

Sometimes you have to keep your mind open and look at both sides before assuming that SLP is always wrong. Sometimes customers do not want to be proven, or worse shown to be wrong. This forum sometimes provides an outlet of anger when things break and truths become a bit grey which is understandable when things go wrong.

This is my final post on this issue. I am here for current customer service/issues and most of all technical help.

Please know that no one will be given a "run around". If the part or parts that broke is SLP's fault then we will fix it. We stand behind all of our products. Look in our new catalog. Most all of our performance pacs offer a 3 year 30,000 or 6 year 60,000 mile warranty. This covers rocker arms, springs, diablo tuners ect. As well as lifetime on exhaust. We stand behind our products as well as provide a warranty on products that we do not manufacturer at SLP such as the diablo tuner that you will not find anywhere.

Thanks
Hank
Old 12-22-2006, 05:24 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a legit question for you hank, will slp ever re-release the slp dual/dual setup? I have a LM1 on my car now.. and it was great with just boltons and was o.k. even with a cam only setup... but now with a high compression big cammed, big stalled setup, it's a little obnoxious.

Or, a full dual 3 inch x piped setup... is that something that you ever plan to work on?
Old 12-22-2006, 05:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I have a legit question for you hank, will slp ever re-release the slp dual/dual setup? I have a LM1 on my car now.. and it was great with just boltons and was o.k. even with a cam only setup... but now with a high compression big cammed, big stalled setup, it's a little obnoxious.

Or, a full dual 3 inch x piped setup... is that something that you ever plan to work on?

I would suggest going with the LM2 bullet muffler if you have the modular system to tame her down. The LM2 really makes a big difference over the LM1. I will work on sending you some sound clips after the first of the year. If you do not have the modular system you can buy just half the system with the LM2 retro fit kit. Please see below.

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=31069

Right now there are no plans to re-release the dual dual full muffler setup. But I do not want to say never. I will look into our sales when the program ended to see if that was the reason for discontinuing the part. I will let you know after the first of the year.

Thanks
Hank
Old 12-22-2006, 05:48 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

o.k... at this point I'm considering alot of options, the first being a full dual 3 inch setup with an x pipe, much like the dual 3 inch setup that kooks did. I am expecting it to be a 1500+ dollar setup, so I'm putting it off as long as I can (first harrasment about car exhaust volume, and I'm gonna bite the bullet and do something) but the dual/dual would be a nice alternative.. it's just impossible to find a new one, and every time i see one for sale it's hacked/chopped/dented whatever.

I think that setup would sell good again/now, alot of people are tired of teh insane loud cars now and want something that performs good and doesn't crack your eardrums every time you drive it.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SLPPower
Speed_demon24,

Sometimes you have to keep your mind open and look at both sides before assuming that SLP is always wrong. Sometimes customers do not want to be proven, or worse shown to be wrong. This forum sometimes provides an outlet of anger when things break and truths become a bit grey which is understandable when things go wrong.

This is my final post on this issue. I am here for current customer service/issues and most of all technical help.

Thanks
Hank
It's kind of hard to look at both sides when you guys won't even let anyone know what failed....
Old 12-22-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the process of having a 408 built now and it's not by SLP but by another sponsor. The way in which the nuked engine fiasco played out was a disgrace. No credit cards. no warranty,no way!!!
Old 12-22-2006, 09:06 PM
10 Second Club

I am not going to get into deep here with my response but I would highly recommend you go with TSP, LME or one of the other site sponsors. Just my opinion. Got screwed by SLP 4 years ago and have heard nothing but negatives about them. As far as performance, you really do not see any SLP stuff setting the world on fire. If you are looking for a good OEM product maybe. Otherwise I'd go elsewhere.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:09 AM
Teching In

I have made a sound file for my engine. Input is appreciated!

Chuck
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/chu...//402_idle.wav
Old 12-23-2006, 06:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Harmon

Chuck
Compared to my SDPC 402 that sounds like crap. It's hard to tell what's valve train noise or piston noise. I run Cadillac Racing lifters and my valve train is about a noisy/quiet as stock.

Either way, when I was looking for a 402 short block SLP was off the list partly because of the "allegations" reqarding the quality of their builds but almost entirely on the way they treated the customer. MY SDPC engine burns no oil, does not smoke at all and is mechanically very quiet. I only have about 800 miles on so hopefully it will stay that way.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:37 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Chuck
Good Morning Chuck,

Thank you for the quick sound clip. The piston slap at idle engine speed does not sound out of line at all for a cold/warm start up. Forged Pistons will expand as they get hotter and the noise should get slightly less after reaching a running temp of 180 F. Also with long tube headers clatter/noise/ticking comes from the exhaust pulses at an idle through the thin walled header tubing. Cast manifolds because of their wall thickness do a great job at muffling this noise. .065" wall header tubing does not. I am by no means saying that all of the noise you hear is this, just adding to the underhood noise of the piston slap.

Please PM me your PH# if you would like to speak on the phone so that we can both be more productive.

For the naysayer’s of SLP this is not meant to hide anything from you. Live conversations are just easier especially when away from the office.

Thanks
Hank
Old 12-23-2006, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

Input is appreciated!
That sounded like one of those Ford 7,3 diesels!

I guess thats cool if you have a diesel truck, but from a vette

Br//
Old 12-23-2006, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Chuck
Let me get this right... that noise stays that way all the time??? it does not go away when the engine is warmed-up???

I hope you get some resolution to this... that is NOT normal!

Good Luck
Old 12-23-2006, 10:04 AM
11 Second Club

Dame,

Please let me know why you feel that customers should stay away from SLP ZL402.

Thanks
Hank

I was reffering to the customer service (or lack thereof) that SLP "USED TO HAVE"......... from the sounds of your post it looks as if things might have changed........ I look forward to seeing how the "new slp" customer service is.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:10 AM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

I would definately not live with that engine noise.All the exuces in the book(ie:thin walled headers?!)does not cover for the fact that there is something wrong with that engine.That thing does sound like a diesel. Traver
Old 12-23-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

My buddy has an SLP 402 (Iron block) and it's working just fine. He drives the crap out of his car on the Autobahn so it's take a lot of abuse! Just my two cents.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:59 AM
10 Second Club

We should make this thread a poll to see how people really feel about SLP.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:12 PM
JBM
TECH Enthusiast

I would suggest going with the LM2 bullet muffler if you have the modular system to tame her down. The LM2 really makes a big difference over the LM1. I will work on sending you some sound clips after the first of the year. If you do not have the modular system you can buy just half the system with the LM2 retro fit kit. Please see below.

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=31069

Right now there are no plans to re-release the dual dual full muffler setup. But I do not want to say never. I will look into our sales when the program ended to see if that was the reason for discontinuing the part. I will let you know after the first of the year.

Thanks
Hank
The problem with the LM2 is the fact that you can not fit a 2.5" pipe through it. Why would you have a 3" y pipe, and funnel it in to a <2.5" resonator? You guys no longer sell a good exhaust for a modded car.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:27 AM
Teching In

And the hits just keep on coming...tried to warn ya. Now there's a sound bite posted for all to hear what they can potentially expect from their SLP engine.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:37 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am running and SLP 402 w/ their AFR 225's and it runs good. Mine does not sound like Chucks cold or otherwise. I am also running more duration and more lift. I am a satisfied customer. It does burn some oil though.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:47 PM
Teching In

CobraKiller,

Thanks for your post, it gives me some encouragement! Are you in the Bay Area?

Chuck

Quick Reply: Slp Zl-402 ?