Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Any De-Stroked LS7's Yet

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 10:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Revs do not equal speed. Have fun focusing on making the engine rev more, but I think you'd do better to focus on making the car go faster.

De-stroked engines are for running in displacement-limited class racing. There is little reason to de-stroke if you're not doing that. For a street car it is almost always a bad idea.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
I don't think this combo would necessarily rev any higher than other combo's due to lifter technology, but as mentioned by other posts it will build revs quickly

ah yeah...i guess i just got all excited
Old 01-23-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think this combo would necessarily rev any higher than other combo's due to lifter technology, but as mentioned by other posts it will build revs quickly
8000 rpm with the CTS-V race lifters.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Plasticman
I have a 3.41" crank in a c5r which was , I believe , designed to run in the under 6 litre class at Le mans. I don`t now how it runs yet as I am still trying to source parts and detune it . It currently has 4.175" pistons running in a dry liner.
That's beautiful. Who's intake is that??
Old 01-23-2007, 11:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

PlasticMan- Are you in Europe? I see that 3.5 Rover motor (Buick all alum V8) in the corner of the pic. Mikunis or Webers on it?

Is that a Vette or a TVR in the background? Is that getting this destroked C5R setup? Very cool motor indeed.

We need some video of one of these setups running and revving
Old 01-23-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gnx7
We need some video of one of these setups running and revving
I'm all about that!
Old 01-23-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by racer7088
Longer stroke engines certainly accelerate the car faster when in gear and going down the track so I guess they must also be accelerating the engine faster too!

If you're just free revving an engine then who knows but if you can do something to make more power and the engine's internals do not weigh much more then it will rev even faster.

Have you ever heard a Top Fueler blip the throttle? These engine have massive big block stroke and yet have only small block bores and also super heavy rotating components by they also have extreme power so they rev up like nothing you've ever heard!
Longer stroke engines accelerating a car faster is just as much an issue of gearing, the combination.

I have been to NHRA Nationals at HRP many times and you're right,Top Fuel is like dynamite exploding in the cylinders and you have to have uber strong internals to handle the power. Nitromethane is why they rev so quickly. Have you ever heard a Formula 1 Engine Rev to 20k rpm, IMO one of the best sounds in the world: short stroke, small bore, and lightweight internals. Top Fuel & F1 are both at the cutting edge of their respective classes & types of racing.

I'm just kicking around the idea to have a FUN combination, not to be the fastest on the street. Indeed if that were the case I would have the new LSX Stroked to the Max with N2o & a blower. I am not trying to start a debate on which type of engine is faster, I was merely asking about De-Stroked LS7's because I like the way they rev quick and IMO make a car fun to drive
Old 01-23-2007, 11:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bink
8000 rpm with the CTS-V race lifters.
8K sounds good to me ! !
Old 01-23-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

8K sounds good to me ! !
Here are a couple links for the SDPC lifters ->

http://www.sdpc2000.com/search.asp?s...8689&doquery=1

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...7+lifters+SDPC
Old 01-24-2007, 12:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bink
Thanks Bro, just added that link to "My New Build"
Old 01-24-2007, 12:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gnx7
Dave (aka 427 LS1) just told me about a 388ci LS7 block setup with Callies 3.62" stroke lightweight crank setup/Oliver rods with ARE dry sump oiling that had crazy throttle response. All-Pro LS7 heads and LS7 intake....

They built the motor for a C5 road race Vette. I think it just got running and no dyno numbers yet. He said you blipped the throttle and it revved instantly.
Frickin Dave! Going to have to talk to that dude! That wasn't supposed to be out yet...that's my car he's talking about and yes, it's ridiculously responsive!

Somehow I think I will be changing my 4:10's!!

Ed
Old 01-24-2007, 02:14 AM
Teching In

Who's intake is that??

The throttle bodies are Kinsler with 2 3/8" butterflies , I thought they were standard on the c5r ?

PlasticMan- Are you in Europe? I see that 3.5 Rover motor (Buick all alum V8) in the corner of the pic. Mikunis or Webers on it?

Is that a Vette or a TVR in the background? Is that getting this destroked C5R setup? Very cool motor indeed.

I am in the UK, the carbs on the rover engine are 45mm Dellortos. The TVR in the background is one I am repairing for a customer but the engine is destined for one of my TVRs yes
Old 01-24-2007, 11:20 AM
Teching In

My next build is an LS2 block, 4.8 crank, L92 heads, sheetmetal intake, two turbos. Why? To be different and to show people that you can still make gobs of power with the smaller displacement, just at a little higher rpms though!! Anyone remember the Lingenfelder (sp?) twin turbo truck in the 6's!! Something around 283ci if I remember correct. To each his own!!
Old 01-24-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Who's intake is that??

The throttle bodies are Kinsler with 2 3/8" butterflies , I thought they were standard on the c5r ?
My understanding is the Kinsler setup was used the first year of the C5R program. After the first year Katech did the setup in house.
How did you acquire the engine?? Anymore available?

Oh ...sorry, NemesisC5 - not trying to hijack...it's a nice thread.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

like someone said earlier...revs dont equal speed. if you look at a rice rocket not really comparable to an fbody by far but thats besides the point. the little honda motor may rev to 9k rpms but it has no torque especially at those high rpms. its funny to see a honda driving around...shifting at 8500 and only going like 30 mph As rpms increase hp will increase to a certain extent but the torque will continue to drop off. fun to drive yes but faster not necassarily faster..unless you're talking about NASCAR or F1 or something
Old 01-24-2007, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by camarolvr69
like someone said earlier...revs dont equal speed. if you look at a rice rocket not really comparable to an fbody by far but thats besides the point. the little honda motor may rev to 9k rpms but it has no torque especially at those high rpms. its funny to see a honda driving around...shifting at 8500 and only going like 30 mph As rpms increase hp will increase to a certain extent but the torque will continue to drop off. fun to drive yes but faster not necassarily faster..unless you're talking about NASCAR or F1 or something
I have 346cid supercharged LS1 with H/C, Lt's, etc. in my 99 Corvette. I am going to build a forged motor to hold more boost and at first was going to do LS2 364cid, then considered L92 378cid, then I figured WTF: What about De-Stroked wet sump LS7. More cubes than LS2 and L92, then the stronger LS7 platform for my blower should make it a potent & reliable performer at around 800rwhp with torque #'s not to far behind. What's more to me is the "Fun Factor" of revving very quickly to 7.5k or maybe a little more if feasable. I love the sound of rpms and the mptor would have more than enough torque to tool around town in without having to rev. I will keep my 3.42 gearing and install a built MN6 with G-Force 5th & 6th gears. Defintely a combo that I plan to take to "The Texas Mile". This car is not being built for the 1320, but just for the "Fun Factor" with some road course driving events and an occasional trip to HRP(maybe twice a year). I have not even started buying the parts yet, just seeing what you guys think of this combo. Maybe by the time I start to build, the LS3 with be out and may be the block of choice, Dunno.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have 346cid supercharged LS1 with H/C, Lt's, etc. in my 99 Corvette. I am going to build a forged motor to hold more boost and at first was going to do LS2 364cid, then considered L92 378cid, then I figured WTF: What about De-Stroked wet sump LS7. More cubes than LS2 and L92, then the stronger LS7 platform for my blower should make it a potent & reliable performer at around 800rwhp with torque #'s not to far behind. What's more to me is the "Fun Factor" of revving very quickly to 7.5k or maybe a little more if feasable. I love the sound of rpms and the mptor would have more than enough torque to tool around town in without having to rev. I will keep my 3.42 gearing and install a built MN6 with G-Force 5th & 6th gears. Defintely a combo that I plan to take to "The Texas Mile". This car is not being built for the 1320, but just for the "Fun Factor" with some road course driving events and an occasional trip to HRP(maybe twice a year). I have not even started buying the parts yet, just seeing what you guys think of this combo. Maybe by the time I start to build, the LS3 with be out and may be the block of choice, Dunno.

Thats exactly how i'm building mine. You should have bought that motor Nouman was telling you about (the 403 L92 project) It should be going in my car next week
Old 01-24-2007, 03:00 PM
Teching In

^^^ I told him about your motor Jeff
Old 01-24-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FactoryRaceCar
^^^ I told him about your motor Jeff
Brother Nouman, what up? Yeah I'm sure I missed a good deal but the timing was just not right. I'm remodelling the house for at least the next month with countless $$$$ that could be going to my car. With all the new stuff going on with Chevy small blocks it reminds me of the computer market with new parts rolling out every few months or less!!! Time is on my side now and will sit back and get opinions from informed people like here on LS1TECH. Just this 1 thread here generated lots of info for me.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Brother Nouman, what up? Yeah I'm sure I missed a good deal but the timing was just not right. I'm remodelling the house for at least the next month with countless $$$$ that could be going to my car. With all the new stuff going on with Chevy small blocks it reminds me of the computer market with new parts rolling out every few months or less!!! Time is on my side now and will sit back and get opinions from informed people like here on LS1TECH. Just this 1 thread here generated lots of info for me.
No worries bro. I told Jeff about the remodeling
I guess he just does not want to sell it now since its about ready.

Quick Reply: Any De-Stroked LS7's Yet