Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

402 swap questions, need help fast plz!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 402 swap questions, need help fast plz!

Ok, I drove down to help my buddy install his new 402 stroker in his vette that he picked up from TSP. We have run into a few issues and have been able to accomplish pretty much nothing.

1. The windage tray. TSP didn't provide us with the shims and nuts to hold the windage tray onto the new ARP main studs. Does this main stud kit include the shims and 2 nuts for every stud? The way it looks is that there is a nut to hold the main in place, and then the windage tray goes on, then another nut to hold the windage tray, is that correct?

2. Motor mounts on the vette. There is a threaded embossment on the block that is preventing the motor mount holes from lining up, is this normal? Does it need to be ground down? Does anything go in this hole? It's on the passenger side of the block.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Windage Tray Spacers

I'm not sure about the windage tray problem.

Do a search for "402" and you should find were people have had to grind down the block at the one motor mount location to swap a LS2 into a LS1 bay.

Good Luck.

Bob K.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:27 AM
FormerVendor

Answer to #1: YES, thats how its mounted. Stud,nut,washer, windage tray, nut. I put the washer UNDER the windage tray.

Answer to #2: You will have to either notch a small spot on the motor mount itself, OR you can take a dremel to the stud. You do NOT need that stud for ANY reason. I personally notched the mount. But if I had to do it over again, I would notch the block.

Originally Posted by WS6.Jay
Ok, I drove down to help my buddy install his new 402 stroker in his vette that he picked up from TSP. We have run into a few issues and have been able to accomplish pretty much nothing.

1. The windage tray. TSP didn't provide us with the shims and nuts to hold the windage tray onto the new ARP main studs. Does this main stud kit include the shims and 2 nuts for every stud? The way it looks is that there is a nut to hold the main in place, and then the windage tray goes on, then another nut to hold the windage tray, is that correct?

2. Motor mounts on the vette. There is a threaded embossment on the block that is preventing the motor mount holes from lining up, is this normal? Does it need to be ground down? Does anything go in this hole? It's on the passenger side of the block.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WS6.Jay

Trial fit the windage tray and spin the engine. If you have contact, you need washers, if not, your good to go.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:01 PM
Launching!

Thanks fellas. I just got back home, we didn't get **** accomplished this weekend... mainly due to TSP not informing my friend very well. He left there after purchasing many things, one of which is a ls2-ls7 type conversion kit... which did not include head gaskets... and nobody told him he needed 6.0L headgaskets. They didn't give him the washers/nuts for the windage tray(which definately should have been included). They didn't include any kind of instructions except how to break-in the engine, which they told him they did include conversion instructions. They told him they gave him the correct harness for his knock sensors, which they didn't and he has to get new knock sensors with a female plug rather than a male plug. The other things we lacked were due to him leaving them on his old engine when he sold it such as the cam retainer plate & bolts, the key for the crank that holds the sprocket in place, and some other bolts like cam gear and front cover bolts. He should have all the parts middle of this next week cause we ordered them from a GM dealer in Abilene.

The only thing that might not be there by wednesday is the shim/washers & nuts that TSP failed to provide him with... but he has to wait till monday to get in touch with them. All in all it was a complete waste of a trip due to the lack of communication on TSP's part. They knew exactly what was happening with the setup and they probably should have told him about shimming the windage tray, notching the block etc. We found most of that from Andy at A&A Corvette, who answered his phone the entire night last night and answered our questions, I think we called him at 11pm at the latest and he was still helping us. Anyway, i'm done with my rant. Thanks for the help fellas.

Last edited by WS6.Jay; 03-10-2007 at 02:11 PM.

Quick Reply: 402 swap questions, need help fast plz!