Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Found a Problem, Engine Builders Check out these Pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who is the vendor? also i would take Kurt up on his offer and find out what the real problem is and if it's the vendors fault...they would replace it. good luck
Old 03-26-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

AintQik,
If you decide to build another short give me a call and let us price you one. We could go over what you are going to do with the engine when its done, and choose a path that would hold up best for you.

Kurt
Old 03-26-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 427
AintQik,
If you decide to build another short give me a call and let us price you one. We could go over what you are going to do with the engine when its done, and choose a path that would hold up best for you.

Kurt
Leave it to kurt and the guys at W2W to offer great customer service.

Honestly your pictures leave alot to the imagination, sucks that this happened. Maybe the person who built the motor will want to work with you and atleast pay a portion of the rebuild.

Best of luck...
Old 03-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Banned

W2W is one stand up company....
Old 03-26-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Katech
Not impossible.
When a human is involved, anything is possible. And I'm not saying shops purposely let engines go out that they know have a flaw, sometimes you can't know. The head shop in Lauderdale that rebuilt my heads had a set of a sponsors heads that were a disaster, he was fixing their screw-up, but I won't say which sponsor. Not to mention an engine with head gaskets that were either on reversed sides or backwards, some **** like that, and an engine when opened up wasn't the cubic inches they said it was, all sponsors.

If a shop told me they were 100% perfect and NEVER made mistakes thats the last place I'd get an engine from. Top NASCAR and F1 racing teams have engines explode on them.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by machinistone
I'm with Katech, if it's not RIGHT, it does not leave the shop.
Sometimes you just don't know that something wasn't torqued right, or you got a bad part from the manufacturer to begin with or maybe the machine shop was a nats *** off, etc... As I said in the post above, I've personally seen with my own eyes engines and heads from sponsors at other shops, getting fixed. Its when you have a problem with an engine you learn that your builder has shops around the country that are closer to your home where you can go for repairs and they will sometimes pay that shop under warranty.

Thats why "almost" all builders offer warranties on faulty parts or bad workmanship. **** happens. The shops with the least problems are the better shops to go with, thats all.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by AintQik
unless I dropped a handful of shavings in the intake, what would cause this? I gave you my theory what's all yours? Bottom line is those deep gouges were not caused by debris. Its caused by piston to wall contact. Period. What could cause that? Nothing on my part. Its a build issue. Builder, what are you going to do about it?
Oh bro, I wasn't for a second saying you did anything to cause this. Improper piston/ring-to-cylinder wall contact is obviously the issue.

Say the builder, you should have an answer from them by now about a replacement/fix?

Send that bitch to W2W, I'd love to hear what they find out.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickin
When a human is involved, anything is possible. And I'm not saying shops purposely let engines go out that they know have a flaw, sometimes you can't know. The head shop in Lauderdale that rebuilt my heads had a set of a sponsors heads that were a disaster, he was fixing their screw-up, but I won't say which sponsor. Not to mention an engine with head gaskets that were either on reversed sides or backwards, some **** like that, and an engine when opened up wasn't the cubic inches they said it was, all sponsors.

If a shop told me they were 100% perfect and NEVER made mistakes thats the last place I'd get an engine from. Top NASCAR and F1 racing teams have engines explode on them.

With the right checks and balances, engine builders with decades of experience, and pride in the work you do, you can virtually eliminate these types of problems I am hearing on almost a daily basis.

There are a lot of engine builders out there, but only a handful that I would consider premium. Premium engine builders rarely, if ever, have these types of problems because there are enough policies, procedures, and checks and balances to eliminate the problem. We have the utmost respect for our fellow premium builders such as W2W and Lingenfelter.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Katech
With the right checks and balances, engine builders with decades of experience, and pride in the work you do, you can virtually eliminate these types of problems I am hearing on almost a daily basis.
But unfortunately, all sponsors/non-sponsor builders don't do this "as good" as others like Katech or W2W. Thats apparent by the almost weekly complaints from members about bad engines, heads, parts, failures, etc... There's even a section to complain.

There are a lot of engine builders out there, but only a handful that I would consider premium.
Agreed, just a handful. But even premium builders have had failures and bad builds, especially if they've been around for decades. All I'm saying is: It happens, and it will always happen.

We have the utmost respect for our fellow premium builders such as W2W and Lingenfelter.
Its funny you mention LPE in this discussion

Old 03-26-2007, 06:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trying to respond to your PM but you inbox is full. Thanks man.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:33 PM
10 Second Club

I see the vendor who built this has chosen not to comment yet on the subject or have they??????

Last edited by 03 BUSA; 03-26-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
Trying to respond to your PM but you inbox is full. Thanks man.
Who? Me? Its not full.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:53 PM
10 Second Club

Why not just say who the sponsor was? You will get a response then. They don't like to show bad customer service/products. Now....that is assuming there is actually a problem with your engine.

Hell....before I'd spend $3K I'd take W2W up on the offer to check it out. Post up the reults and the sponsor will feel a little more pressure to make it right. I bought a 383 from the "sponsor" too. They do too much business on here to get a bad name. Just my $.02
Old 03-26-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Last edited by LS1IMPULSE; 03-26-2007 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:19 PM
10 Second Club

Who? Me? Its not full.

No, aintquik
Old 03-26-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LS1IMPULSE
Read the end of post #29...

Quote: From Katech
We have the utmost respect for our fellow premium builders such as W2W and Lingenfelter.

Response from the person who started this thread...
I (Quickin) made the response, "Its funny you mention LPE in this discussion"

"Antiquik" started the thread.

Are you saying LPE did this engine build?

Old 03-26-2007, 09:39 PM
10 Second Club

Hang on guys, let's not assume anyone built this. This will only upset innocent vendors. I would wait till the vendor has been verified by the owner of this thread. JMO
Old 03-26-2007, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Are you saying LPE did this engine build?
No they didn't but I could take a very good guess at who it is.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1IMPULSE
Read the end of post #29...

Quote: From Katech

Response from the person who started this thread...

Hey thanks for the info!!!!

But if you did a little more detective work you'd know who built it. Same company that did my 383. I've had zero problems so I'm not gonna knock them.

Search is your friend.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:54 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 427
AintQik,
I don't think anyone can tell whats wrong with your engine by your pics, I know I can't. For me to draw a conclusion based on pictures would be careless on my part. Send me the engine if you like and I will report to you and the builder what I think went wrong, and it will cost you nothing but shipping.

Kurt
This is the BIGGEST FACTOR in my decision to go with W2W for my next engine. They have nothing to do with this and offer a helping hand! Nothing but props for W2W!

Quick Reply: Found a Problem, Engine Builders Check out these Pics