Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Found a Problem, Engine Builders Check out these Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AintQik
You may deal with scum bags all day long but I'm an officer in the military and we kinda live by a different code then the average citizen. I have given up good pay, a family, my passions for racing, a home, holidays, I eat **** and sleep in it.
Well said!
Old 04-14-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor @ Texas Speed & Perf.
Let's agree to disagree. Arguing all weekend long is getting us nowhere, and we have stated numerous times that we'll cover the engine. I'm not sure what else you're looking for at this point, and I honestly don't know how many other ways to say it. As per the original agreement, we will cover the engine. If you would like to discuss this any further, feel free to give us a call. If not, then we will contact you once the engine is torn down and a time frame before it is back together and ready to be picked up from our facility. We're standing behind the engine, just like you wanted us to. All we can do is proceed forward with getting the engine taken care of and back to you. All of the arguing is pointless.

Feel free to PM or call with any other concerns.

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance
Cool, guys I'm with the agreeing to disagree thing. Y'all let me know what you find out and what it is going to take to get it beck to me. Agreed the arguing is pointless, like I said I'm going to take whatever you tell me. I may not like it but it is what it is.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be honest with you guys, I am getting nervous with this whole deal because my motor is seriously burning oil and I am not sure if it is the rings did not seat or my PCV setup. If it is the rings have not seated with over 500 miles I am hoping for TSP to step up and take care of this as they have in your situation. I do not want to go through all of this to get anywhere. I have spent alot of money and my wife is still bitchin about it and if this thing is not perfect and continues to burn oil I cannot afford to spend a dime more on it. I have been keeping TSP in the loop via e-mails and phone calls just so that if there is a problem and I call them I want them to have known about it all along. I have not been able to put alot of miles on it due to either weather or my work schedule but 500 miles is plenty of time to see what is going on and there is oil burning big time. I too have gotten all kinds of PM's from others reading my 427 oil burning thread just ripping TSP and their work, I have read them but stayed away from bashing anyone behind their backs. I just need to know if I have a problem with these rings not seating and they are indeed the cause of my oil burning issue willl YOU TSP take care of this? I want to be proud of my decision to go with TSP and I would like to recommend TSP to others looking for a quality build. I am sorry to thread jack but I figured instead of starting this all over again in the future I would get this out of the way now. Also, I think the biggest part of the problem is that TSP does not build in house. I think if they did we would not see these issues. When my motor was being built the actual builder told me he had to get 92 motors done by the end of the month and mine was one of them. That is a **** load of motors to get built and I can see how mistakes could be made in those situations. Thanks for everyones time.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:17 PM
Launching!

I'm completely amazed by people today. You guys don't even know what the problem is & yet you continue to beat on a company that ships hundreds & hundreds of engines.

You're telling me you're going to beat on a company online & demand new parts/motor when you don't even understand what's wrong with the engine? You then go on to tell people it is what it is? WTF is up with that? You're getting a free motor rebuild from a reputable company because you bitched on the internet. It's absolutely that simple...

I run 20psi of boost on my stroker, change heads several times, melted heads, etc... I demand a rebuild on my short block! I can tell you that if my short block isn't rebuilt within the next week I'll start my own thread. I guarantee TSP's competitors will back me up. They have nothing but business to gain from attempting to discredit the competition.

Did it ever occur to you guys that possibly something went through the engine? These guys see 100s of motors a year & yet everyone on here thinks they're ls1 wizards because they read a few posts & installed their own short-blocks. Lets face it...even if we found out tomorrow that the engine clearances were perfect you guys would just call TSP liars.

What bullshit... But I guess maybe I just live by a different code. I wouldn't bash & discredit someone for something that I wasn't damn sure they were at fault for.

How many shops on here would warranty this one year old short block that they didn't install, didn't assemble long block, didn't tune, etc.... I think you'd be very hard pressed to find ANY shop that would make that happen.

I have an idea you should demand labor for reinstall, pain, & suffering. Worst case is they don't agree & you can throw out pics of something you think isn't right & toss out something totally unrelated to gain added sympathy. God bless our military, but you honestly shouldn't use "I'm military" as a reason for you to be right. The engine isn't even apart yet, you have no idea what's wrong with that engine.

How can someone sleep at night knowing they're bashing & discrediting a company for something they aren't even sure they did wrong? I can't believe after several head swaps you get on here and say I'm 100% sure I didn't get anything in this motor, it must be the guys at TSP's assembly.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1itldo
I'm completely amazed by people today. You guys don't even know what the problem is & yet you continue to beat on a company that ships hundreds & hundreds of engines.

You're telling me you're going to beat on a company online & demand new parts/motor when you don't even understand what's wrong with the engine? You then go on to tell people it is what it is? WTF is up with that? You're getting a free motor rebuild from a reputable company because you bitched on the internet. It's absolutely that simple...

I run 20psi of boost on my stroker, change heads several times, melted heads, etc... I demand a rebuild on my short block! I can tell you that if my short block isn't rebuilt within the next week I'll start my own thread. I guarantee TSP's competitors will back me up. They have nothing but business to gain from attempting to discredit the competition.

Did it ever occur to you guys that possibly something went through the engine? These guys see 100s of motors a year & yet everyone on here thinks they're ls1 wizards because they read a few posts & installed their own short-blocks. Lets face it...even if we found out tomorrow that the engine clearances were perfect you guys would just call TSP liars.

What bullshit... But I guess maybe I just live by a different code. I wouldn't bash & discredit someone for something that I wasn't damn sure they were at fault for.

How many shops on here would warranty this one year old short block that they didn't install, didn't assemble long block, didn't tune, etc.... I think you'd be very hard pressed to find ANY shop that would make that happen.

I have an idea you should demand labor for reinstall, pain, & suffering. Worst case is they don't agree & you can throw out pics of something you think isn't right & toss out something totally unrelated to gain added sympathy. God bless our military, but you honestly shouldn't use "I'm military" as a reason for you to be right. The engine isn't even apart yet, you have no idea what's wrong with that engine.

How can someone sleep at night knowing they're bashing & discrediting a company for something they aren't even sure they did wrong? I can't believe after several head swaps you get on here and say I'm 100% sure I didn't get anything in this motor, it must be the guys at TSP's assembly.
u might want to reread the 1st post.

the only posts that matter in this thread are the ones from the original poster and the vendor.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
I will be honest with you guys, I am getting nervous with this whole deal because my motor is seriously burning oil and I am not sure if it is the rings did not seat or my PCV setup. If it is the rings have not seated with over 500 miles I am hoping for TSP to step up and take care of this as they have in your situation. I do not want to go through all of this to get anywhere. I have spent alot of money and my wife is still bitchin about it and if this thing is not perfect and continues to burn oil I cannot afford to spend a dime more on it. I have been keeping TSP in the loop via e-mails and phone calls just so that if there is a problem and I call them I want them to have known about it all along. I have not been able to put alot of miles on it due to either weather or my work schedule but 500 miles is plenty of time to see what is going on and there is oil burning big time. I too have gotten all kinds of PM's from others reading my 427 oil burning thread just ripping TSP and their work, I have read them but stayed away from bashing anyone behind their backs. I just need to know if I have a problem with these rings not seating and they are indeed the cause of my oil burning issue willl YOU TSP take care of this? I want to be proud of my decision to go with TSP and I would like to recommend TSP to others looking for a quality build. I am sorry to thread jack but I figured instead of starting this all over again in the future I would get this out of the way now. Also, I think the biggest part of the problem is that TSP does not build in house. I think if they did we would not see these issues. When my motor was being built the actual builder told me he had to get 92 motors done by the end of the month and mine was one of them. That is a **** load of motors to get built and I can see how mistakes could be made in those situations. Thanks for everyones time.

TSP can build the engine,but not break it in for you.You guys are killing me with this ****.Modding your car requires some input of knowledge by the person modding the car.I would bet if the rings didn't seat it is your fault.

Last edited by 2000PewterZ28; 04-14-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

5. Trevor I disagree with your theories because sir, they are highly improbable if not impossible. Debris can't be on top of the ring and below the ring and can't be real bad in one hole then get worse, then slight in one then get worse, then be exaclty where the end gaps are ON EVERY PISTON!

This is on the internet because you made it on the internet. It started with a simple question, why is there a chip in my block between 3 and 4 and why are there scratches in hole 7. THAT WAS OUT OF THE BOX.

And, I keep bringing this thread up because people keep asking me what is happening. I have PMs from people that want to know what's up. I have PMs from people THAT HAVE SEEN THIS motor and want to know what you think. Not because they don't know what is wrong, but because THEY KNOW WHAT IS WRONG and want to see what you think. So, I told them what you think. Do you think I would actually send the motor off without a reputable shop looking at it? Do you think I think my mechanic skills are so godlike that I could never do something wrong? Nope, I consulted many people before I was convinced I had a build issue.
LS1itldo you might have skipped this part of his rebuttle.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:08 PM
Launching!

This is BS!No other engine builder would fix this.You bought an aftermarket short block.You finished the engine with a used oil pan,used windage tray,used front and rear covers,was any of these vatted and cleaned by a machine shop?My guess is no.Was you garage completely clean as a engine assembly room used by an engine builder?My guess is no.Let me say this again,NO other engine builder would fix this,regardless of what they have posted in this thread to try and gain business away from TSP.There is so many ways debris could have entered this engine.The customer,his friends,and the rest of the internet guru's in this thread have backed TSP in a corner.They have come out and said they will fix this engine that is not their fault.So its a dead horse topic.IMO,TSP is going way beyond what any business would in the customer service situation.For that I buy all of my products from them and will continue to do so.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:09 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I just sit down to attempt to defend myself here, but I'm not really sure what to say.

I've been bashed because the rings were wrong, I've been bashed because the block was bad, I've even been basically called a liar by the originator of the thread. ANYONE WANT TO SHOW ME WHERE ANY OF THESE STATEMENTS WERE TRUE?

On top of this I have to deal with vendors getting in the thread attempting to discredit our work in a effort to improve their own.

How can you guys still be hammering on us when we're eating a motor that most likely has no issue caused by anything done at TSP?

What else do you want me to do? I'm eating a motor & being bashed at the sametime.

What I can tell you is we don't ship 40+ motors a month without issue because we don't know what we're doing. The reason I can stand behind our products is because our attention to detail allows us to produce one of the most consistant products available.

All I can say is go ahead & continue to hammer on us. We sure are butt holes for ________ (enter your theory here).
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 04-14-2007, 08:19 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by usd2sing
u might want to reread the 1st post.

the only posts that matter in this thread are the ones from the original poster and the vendor.
If that was honestly the truth then why does so many vendors get on here & attempt to throw fuel on the fire? Why does the originator of the post decides to tell everyone he has a bad block when he thinks he might not be getting exactly what he wants?

Here's the bottom line:

I'm rebuilding a one year old short block that had the heads removed 4 different times. On top of that I've been blamed for the rings reaching up past the top of the ring lands, I've been blamed for sending the customer a bad block & I've been called a liar.

After all of that I'm rebuilding a short-block that most likely didn't have a build issue at all.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

It sounds to me like TSP is trying to make this right.. Why are people still bitching?
Old 04-14-2007, 08:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
If that was honestly the truth then why does so many vendors get on here & attempt to throw fuel on the fire? Why does the originator of the post decides to tell everyone he has a bad block when he thinks he might not be getting exactly what he wants?

Here's the bottom line:

I'm rebuilding a one year old short block that had the heads removed 4 different times. On top of that I've been blamed for the rings reaching up past the top of the ring lands, I've been blamed for sending the customer a bad block & I've been called a liar.

After all of that I'm rebuilding a short-block that most likely didn't have a build issue at all.
i only posted to help clarify some items that the guy above me posted and ranted about which seemed very biased.

your doing the right thing in my personal view and opinion. fwiw
Old 04-14-2007, 08:33 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I appreciate that Mr. usd2sing.

I don't feel we've done anything at all wrong & I'm still going to eat this engine. After all of this we have people in this thread stating they will not be buying from tsp anymore. That absolutely makes no sense to me.

I will keep everyone posted on what we find out when the short block is completely apart. I'm not here to push my opinion of what happened to the short block on everyone like some other individuals in this thread. Either way Ill be rebuilding the short block.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2000PewterZ28
TSP can build the engine,but not break it in for you.You guys are killing me with this ****.Modding your car requires some input of knowledge by the person modding the car.I would bet if the rings didn't seat it is your fault.

First of all, your statement is half correct. TSP cannot perform the break in. With that said Nick Williams is my tuner and a friend of mine and before this thing was started he was here with me laptop in hand to fire and make sure all was perfect as it was. Do not tell me if the rings did not seat it is my fault. I have worked in the auto industry all my life and now I take care of motors for Ken Schrader, I do not build them but I do tune them at the track and such. Also perform all tests on them after the races and replace springs when needed. I know this isn't rocket science but I do have more knowledge about this **** than you do pal. So do not discredit me for no reason. I have not said anything bad about anyone to no one and do not deserve your bullshit. I have done everything that TSP recommended, so if something is not right on this thing I do not know what to tell you. I just want to know what is going to happen if they haven't. With over 2 qts gone in 500 miles I would put my money on rings not seating. I take pride in my work and all the install work was perfomed by me not any other shop or any help, except Nick Williams with the tune. I am asking TSP a question that is all. Can I count on them if this oil consumption continues to stand behind their work?
Old 04-14-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sorry but I read damage control come out after it was anounced whose block was being used. Then later after the motor was shipped back things started back tracking on TSP's end. Then damage control came back out. I just hope that you post the findings, whether they turn out bad or good for the poster. It sounds like you will take care of him either way it turns out.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:42 PM
10 Second Club

2nd I have already recommended TSP to others for their motors. I have been to a couple of car get togethers and everyone wants to know who built it and I tell them if they are looking to get one done I would recommend TSP be given the opportunity to let them know how they can help them. Everyone around here knows who built my motor, I cannot tell you how many guys are drooling over this thing. I have nothing bad to say about TSP. I feel what they are doing for Aintquik is stand up and very proffessional. I also feel this thread has gotten way out of hand. I am not trying to add any negative to this. I spent alot of money I should not have at this time and I just want to make sure what I got is perfect and if something was overlooked or whatever, I get what I paid for.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:59 PM
Banned

Mods please delete this thread as it seems I've painted a bad picture of TSP.
**** no dont delete this....Its exactly what needs to be on the net. People can learn from this. Amen brother. Keep your head up, shoot down some bad people and Keep rocking. I AGREE WITH WHAT YOU ARE SAYING AND EVERY BIT OF WHAT YOUR RESOURCES HAVE TOLD YOU!!! Rock it!
Old 04-14-2007, 09:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ls1itldo

Cookie cutter is cookie cutter. Thats all. You get what you pay for folks. Its been said time and time again!
Old 04-14-2007, 09:12 PM
10 Second Club

The statement you get what you pay for is correct. However, just because you don't go with the greatest componetnts doesn't mean you should have these issues. I went with TSP because they have a killer product for a great price. Sure I got an Eagle crank instead on a Callies but I am not Drag racing every weekend or going FI. It is a street car for a weekend toy. So I saved some money instead of going with the greatest parts but I should not be burning oil like I am. I had a GM built LS1 before this with some cheap components and I never had a problem. I paid close to 10k for the motor and I expect to get my 10k out of it without putting oil in it everytime I take it out to play. I do not regret going with TSP, before this thread I have not heard many bad things about them.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, hope everybody is having a good saturday night...

First, If anybody here thinks this is my first hotrod, well you're wrong. I've had motors with 27psi too buddy. Good fun aint they. If you think I don't know my way around a car, well I'm sure there are a few people here that know me personally and can vouch for who I am.

Second. I'm not calling anybody a liar. I am simply asking for a detailed explanation as to how debris could do what it did in the manner that I have tried to describe. One person tell me how that happend. There may be things I do not understand. I'm not 4 years old. If you are going to tell me I'm wrong educate me while you are at it. Like I said the more the motor ran, the more the marks get deeper.

Third, I mention the military as a means of explaining how I simply could not lie. If you don't get it, you may never will. I don't want sympathy. My job doesn't allow that either.

Forth, the motor is a year old. But, it has been run 3000 miles. I'm not home alot. I am in countries most of you don't know exsist but I don't want sympathy so I'll just shut up. Yes its a performance motor. No I don't expect a warranty. From day one I had been asking about these marks that got worse and I've finally got worried enuf to asak others. Read how this started. I wasn't asking for a thing. I just wanted to know if this was a problem.

Fifth, the block scares me. It has wierd marks on it. If the cam galley is normal cool. I have said that TSP was right. If the other wierd stuff is normal, cool there too. I'm a guy that is scared about a large purchase and now getting freaked out. Again, not alling anybody anything, I just posted some pics and got what I wanted... an answer. Its normal. The chip between 3 and 5, somebody dinged the block. Wasn't me, it sealed fine so oh well, I got a block I can't sell. sucks but so does life.

Sixth, I'm not asking you to eat anything. You volunteered so I took the motor out and sent it to you. If you find the pistons and rings to be within tolerances, don't put it together adn send it back to me. Put the block on the cradle and box the pistons and rods up with the rings still on them. Now I'll eat half the shipping (there) just to give you the opportunity to prove to all these guys you were right. You are out $250 to prove that the motor was fine. Then I get it back to take and have it looked at. Can't really beat that. If you don't want to eat it don't. Give it back to me the way it sits and we'll call it a day. You sell 100s of motors a month, I don't. I prolly make less then the guy sweeping your floor. But I'll eat this if it is hurting your bottom line.

Seventh, I've always stood behind TSP. There was not a single bad comment floating around when I bought my motor. Today, well that's not the case. I'm a littled miffed now but I'm one guy. Who cares. I never intended this to be a **** on TSP thread. I was worried about continuing to run the motor with it doing what it was. Unfortunately somebody had to make this about you. I didn't want to send the motor back. In fact on the phone I said I didn't want to send the motor back but you all insisted I assume to clear your name.

Lastly, you keep asking what I want you to do. Well, since you asked let me tell you. I wanted you to accept my first call with a little more seriousness. I buy a $5k motor I take out of the crate and the first thing I see is a chip between 3 and 5. I freak out and call. Then I turn the motor over and see some wierd marks in the walls. I call and send pictures. It would have been nice for you to say, hey RJ, maybe we got a bad one there, send it back and we will take a look. Or, hey RJ, we're not comfortable with that either, take it to XXXX shop and have the guys go over it and let us know. I got, dude, there is nothing wrong with that. I took the heads off, and the marks were multipliing. and I was told it was ok. I called when I took the heads off again and was told its ok. I wanted somebody to address this when it was still in the crate so I didn't have to listen to John Force tell me I can't put a motor in a car.

So, its really a matter of perspective. I aint got nothing against you all cause I don't live like that. You look at it and if you feel it aint your problem then send it back. If everybody wants to forget this thing was giving me wierd vibes from day one, then go ahead and keep telling me I'm stupid and don't know what I'm doing and that your psi is bigger than my psi. Look, people **** stuff up everyday here and a lot of them try to get the vendor to fix it all better. Remember the SLP fiasco? Know why you never heard what the final outcome of that was? I live next to SLP. Ding bats will not tune a car right, mash parts together, generally skimp on stuff and blame people who are trying to make a living selling shortblocks. I want to punch those people in the lip. In my business you take responsibility for your actions. So, if I had even the slightest sliver of doubt I would have never brought this up to begin with. That's not saying that I couldn't be wrong, but I have more automotive knowlege then you think. I was ASE certified before I joined the military and I've been doing this for a while. In my opinion there just is no way debris can make one mark, then 3 months later with differnent heads make another mark next to it, then 3 months later with a head change make 4 more marks next to those. But, I will defer to the experts. If TSP says its my fault then just give it back to me. I mean how much more accomodating can I get? I truly in my heart believe I have a jacked up build, I send it back, then refuse a free rebuild when it is proved to be debris. What do you guys want from me? In fact don't rebuild it. Just send it back. I'm not going to stand here and be called names for asking for somebody to tell me how those marks got like that in the manner I described. Are you guys calling me a liar? It happened like I said it did and at least one member here saw it, exactly as I described. This has gotten so blown out of line. I don't know what you all want from me. If I'm wrong then please explain to me how. Those marks are from the top of the piston slapping the wall. Like you said there is no ring touching there. So, what caused it? Debris? 4 times? There was a new mark there every time I took the head off. So, take #7 slug out and show me the piece of something in the ring. By the way, I looked in the ringland and I know there is nothing there. So, explain to me how those marks got there then I will gladly take the motor back and fix it on my own. No problem. I'm not being a smart ***, I just want to know, just like I did from post one, what is causing this, can it be run, and what should I do.

Quick Reply: Found a Problem, Engine Builders Check out these Pics