Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Blown head gasket in new LS7 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 08:38 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 427
The bleed line on the cylinder heads must be hooked up to something "uphill" on the cooling system with no restriction to flow.
Kurt
That's true, if the bleed line runs downhill you could potentially siphon out coolant from the heads every time you turned the engine off.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 71CamaroLS1
That's true, if the bleed line runs downhill you could potentially siphon out coolant from the heads every time you turned the engine off.

If that were true, wouldn't parking the car at any angle other than flat cause the same problem?

I have parked my car at all sorts of angles w/o any problem.

I think what Kurt was saying was that you have to run a T fitting to somehow let the bleed line connect to a line closer to the water pump, but I can't visualize how that would help...
Old 04-26-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Regular

Default Hot spot

It had run as hot as 220 in the past for a few minnutes while I was struggling to get the cooling system bled.

oops
Old 04-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

What do you mean the plugs were all chewed up? Electrode burnt back? Aluminum on porclan? Cracked porcelan? etc.
Ralph
Old 04-30-2007, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lovescamaros28
Maybe because you didnt properly break in the engine.A lot of break in procedures call for not running an engine over 3500 rpms for the first 500 miles.I would guess you just put the engine together added oil and thought it was good to go until the next 3000 mile oil change interval?

Dude, that would have nothing to do with what occured to this engine. You're acting like a know it all smart *** with your last sentence and you obviously do not know much.

This guy has been asking questions on this forum for months related to getting this car running and does not need more grief after losing an engine after all his work.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think those tubes are called steam vents even tho the water shouldn't normally get hot enough to turn into steam. I believe as was already mentioned it is more useful in allowing air to bleed out of the heads in order for them to fill with water which does a much better job carrying away heat than steam could ever do. The steam(air) must then vent thru the radiator to the resevoir tank and out the vent tube. The vent tube connects to a bung on the radiator via a rubber hose. If this vent system wasn't used or was somehow blocked the engine could have overheated, but you would of course always have one eye on the temp gauge and turn the engine OFF before it got too hot, right? The heater core is like a mini radiator and with the blower motor running can carry away considerable engine heat. This can be used in case of emergency(Limp Mode) to get you to the nearest filling station, but it certainly shouldn't be needed on a new crate motor.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lovescamaros28
Hi, I'm a total dumbshit and should have never wandered out of the newbie forums.

I just wanted to quote this post for accuracy.

Wish you the best getting it back together.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post a pic of the cooling system and how its setup. That will tell the story, however If it was a partial pull, I have my theories. These blocks are weak, I have had a few stock cars come through here with cracked sleeves.

Now what happened first is the question. How do the other plugs look?

Quick Reply: Blown head gasket in new LS7 engine?