Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS3 port cu-away pic inside. is it better than a L92 port ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS3 port cu-away pic inside. is it better than a L92 port ??

Also new cam specs..
Old 05-02-2007, 01:07 PM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That port on the left looks better than the one on the right but I'm no expert. It could be the way its rotated in the pic.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:14 PM
10 Second Club

so which is which in that pic?
Old 05-02-2007, 01:19 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

ls3 should be left, i take it.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:45 PM

Hey, c' mon LS1tech readers! Look more carefully!

That port on the left is an LS6 or 6.0L port. The one on the RIGHT is the LS3 port (if that's the LS3!).

Notice it doesn't the casting provision for the injector that the GenIII stuff has (left) and it also has a larger seat diameter.

The port floor looks dead flat (huh?), and the roof has a weird shape to it as well- it looks really straight. The runner is raised more than the Gen III stuff. Look at the distance from the port floor to the deck surface.

It looks like it could make more power to me. Looks funny, but I'd be willing to give it a shot. Maybe I just look at LSx heads too much now... grinding away on 'em all the time.

Ben T.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:56 PM

I swear, if the epoxy would stick I'd get some LS3 heads and put some seats in them for a 2.08" valve and try to use them on a LS1 motor. I just have a bad feeling the epoxy would come out of the bowls...

Ben T.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Studytime

Hey, c' mon LS1tech readers! Look more carefully!

That port on the left is an LS6 or 6.0L port. The one on the RIGHT is the LS3 port (if that's the LS3!).

Notice it doesn't the casting provision for the injector that the GenIII stuff has (left) and it also has a larger seat diameter.

The port floor looks dead flat (huh?), and the roof has a weird shape to it as well- it looks really straight. The runner is raised more than the Gen III stuff. Look at the distance from the port floor to the deck surface.

It looks like it could make more power to me. Looks funny, but I'd be willing to give it a shot. Maybe I just look at LSx heads too much now... grinding away on 'em all the time.

Ben T.
well, by the title of the threat, I ASSumed that one was the LS3 and the other the L92, but after you said LS6 I can definately see the cathedral part of the port. I'd like to see a cutaway of the L92 vs the LS3 and maybe the LS7 to see the differences
Old 05-03-2007, 06:39 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The port shape looks interesting. This new LS3 technology should be awesome.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Studytime
I swear, if the epoxy would stick I'd get some LS3 heads and put some seats in them for a 2.08" valve and try to use them on a LS1 motor. I just have a bad feeling the epoxy would come out of the bowls...

Ben T.
Not that epoxy would be good right before a seat because of the extreme cross currents anyways. Ever heard of a tig welder? You can do magical things with them.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Not that epoxy would be good right before a seat because of the extreme cross currents anyways. Ever heard of a tig welder? You can do magical things with them.
Tungsten inert gas? Actually, I've ground on some SBF & SBC heads for rules class racing that head the ports opened up too big (no-go guage @ runner inlet). It's also a lot easier to weld an inch and a half into the intake runner than in the corners of the SSR.

As for the LS3, it wouldn't be practical for me to weld up the entire bowl all the way from the base of the seat until over the top of the SSR into the straight portion of the runner because I can't heliarc that well. It would be even less practical for me to talk a friend into doing that... much less eight times. If I had my own rig, I'd probably try it thought. Epoxy would just make it WAY easier to materialize the idea and get it on a flow bench.

Ben T.

Quick Reply: LS3 port cu-away pic inside. is it better than a L92 port ??