Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LSx blocks and cam bore / bronze lifter bores...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LSx blocks and cam bore / bronze lifter bores...

Alright guys... I have commented on this in the past. I am told, not witnessing it myself, that GM line hones the cam bore after installation of the cam bearings to clean up any tooling nics and to verify the cam bore for core shift. Lets say an LS7 block had its factory installed cam bearings removed for block machine work. Wouldn't you line hone again after new bearing installation? Anybody having cam bearings replaced making sure this gets done? If not how is your motor doing? ... just heard a few horror stories and wanted to verify...
Has anyone gone ahead and bored the lifter bores for bronze inserts on an aluminum LSx motor... say an LS7? Anyone want to comment on the benefits? HP goal area would be somewhere around 1200 crank hp.
Thanks,
Bill
Old 05-20-2007, 01:19 AM
FormerVendor

Hey Bill,

From my understanding, YES GM line hones the cam bearings from the factory. I found this out AFTER my engine builder replaced one of the cam bearings cause he thought it looked bad (while originally building the motor). Needless to say, I spun it after about 500 miles.

According to the guys over at LME, its ALWAYS preferred to line hone it before re-assembly. This way you verify everything else is trued up. This is what they did with mine the last time.

Cant comment on the rest though...
Old 05-20-2007, 05:13 AM
7 Second/200 MPH Club

We always aline hone the block better safe then sorry. We also use Jesel lifter bushings. The bushings prevent oil presure bleed off with the bigger cams.

Quick Reply: LSx blocks and cam bore / bronze lifter bores...