Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

what the hell is going on with Comp 918s????

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, thats what I needed to know.

James
Old 06-11-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, hopefully batch 054524 proves to be a good one... I'll let you guys know.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:28 PM
sbs
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dr. Jeckel
I sent one the other day with a link to this thread. Doubt that they actually respond.
I emailed them two months ago about a similar thread and they never responded.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:43 PM
sbs
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Matt @ SDPC
Ok guys, I just got off the phone with CompCams and they want to be involved...here's what they/we need from the members here:

If you have any of these broken springs, CompCams wants and needs to talk directly to you! They also of course will want these springs back so they can test them and look into this.

it is VERY difficult (if not impossible) for them to remedy any problems there might be with a spring by reading about it on the internet! So please, call CompCams at 800.999.0853 (that's their toll free tech line), and tell them you've got broken spring(s) and want to know what to do with them! Their customer service is second to none and they want to speak to you! Again, the only way they can fix a problem that might exist is to deal directly with the customer with the springs!!!

Thanks!
We already know they will replace the broken ones. A number of people have gotten them replaced. Replacing broken springs is not "customer service second to none". Denying that there is a broad problem, as they have done with people who have called them about the failures, is not "customer service second to none." Ignoring emails on the subject is not "customer service second to none."

"Customer service second to none" would be owning up to the problem months ago when this first cropped up, finding out and explaining how the problem happened and how (if) they have remedied it, and offering replacements for people who have springs from that time period which have not yet failed.

C'mon, they have been sending out replacements for broken springs for months now. I'm sure they saw the pattern long before the community was able to put it together. And they've done nothing to prevent more failures. That is crappy customer service.

Mine are on a set of heads that I haven't installed yet and I will replace them with springs from another manufacturer before I install the heads, because I'm not risking my engine by waiting until one breaks so I can experience their "second to none" customer service and receive a replacement part which may or may not have the exact same defect.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

i just googled "comp 918 springs" and found a bunch more people reporting the same trouble
Old 06-12-2007, 06:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
i just googled "comp 918 springs" and found a bunch more people reporting the same trouble
Ain't the internet great...especially for the consumer!!
Old 06-12-2007, 08:37 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

SBS: First off, I didn't say replacing springs was great customer service (although for another manufacturer on here, replacing defective parts has been considered exactly that in the not so distant past). I said their customer service is second to none, and it is! Have you got any broken springs? Have you called Comp and talked to Red? Have you seen which of these batch numbers were from a little over a year ago when Comp DID INDEED admit to having a bad run of these springs?

Yes, I said it...they admitted it a year ago when they had problems and were very proactive on fixing the issues and taking care of customers.

So to all of those who have any broken springs, I re-iterate: WE NEED YOU TO CALL UP COMPCAMS AND TALK TO RED IN THE WARRANTY DEPARTMENT. He knows the situation and wants to get to the bottom of any issues there might be! Thank you!

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 06-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

has any one hade a problum with bach nomber 049045.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pat35
has any one hade a problum with bach nomber 049045.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/728938-broken-comp-918-batch-thread.html
Old 06-13-2007, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

My batch number for my 918's are 49826 There has
been several reported failures under that batch number
Looks like ill be pulling my valve covers to see if there is any
broken ...
Old 06-13-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Something that seems glaringly absent in the questions here are HOW are they installed? Not the installed height, not the lift, but the physical method in which they were installed on the heads. A badly used spring compressor could easily damage the springs, and all of them would be damaged the exact same way.

Not saying that was the issue, but just another idea to ponder upon.

My 918s in my GTP went 30K before changes (small cam). Another set has 4K in my RX7 and have been fine (224/230, .581/.591, intake side only). I did break a crane dual on the exhaust side, but my rocker smacked it after a bearing failure, so no fault of the spring.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

just got of the phone with comp tocked to red.i dident install my springs yet and have one of the bach nombers he gave me a roa nomber and will send a new set out as soon as he gets min. no questons asked just send them in he sed but min wer not instaled .and he sed the new ons are completle difrent then the 06 so comp is grate agen sare for the spelling
Old 06-13-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I installed my "Dual Golds" last night. I don't care if COMP says they have fixed the problem, they have lost my confidence and my business, as far as valve springs are concerned. If they gave me a written guaruntee that if my valve dropped, they would replace my engine, then I might consider putting another 918 in my engine. This is not going to happen, so I have gone to someone else that has a good track record.
I have heard "The problem is fixed" way to many times.

I guess I'll see if they will give me a new set, then sell those, but no 918 is going on any car I ever own.

James

Last edited by Dr. Jeckel; 06-14-2007 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I talked to Comp again today. According to the rep I spoke with, the springs are quote "wound wrong", putting an excessive stress at the common break point near the retainer. There were definitely batch(s) of springs involved, many of which they denied for use and sale from a 3rd party mfg. How many springs in a batch is a good question though. Obviously some got through for sale.

Want to say they were more than willing to help me out when I called.
I don't want to para-phrase what the guy said, but the just of it was above. It was my impression that good springs are out there also, some of which are elaborated about in this thread.

The good news is once we all get fixed up, MORE HP!!!!!! I think with all the "knowledge" about previous spring issues and quote great customer service, a lot of the people who sell thesed springs to use for profit should consider recalling them. They are clearly defective.

At this point, the problem is basically solved for me. My TFS heads are in a box in the living room. Yeah baby.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 03EBZ06
I talked to Comp again today. According to the rep I spoke with, the springs are quote "wound wrong", putting an excessive stress at the common break point near the retainer. There were definitely batch(s) of springs involved, many of which they denied for use and sale from a 3rd party mfg. How many springs in a batch is a good question though. Obviously some got through for sale.

Want to say they were more than willing to help me out when I called.
I don't want to para-phrase what the guy said, but the just of it was above. It was my impression that good springs are out there also, some of which are elaborated about in this thread.

The good news is once we all get fixed up, MORE HP!!!!!! I think with all the "knowledge" about previous spring issues and quote great customer service, a lot of the people who sell thesed springs to use for profit should consider recalling them. They are clearly defective.

At this point, the problem is basically solved for me. My TFS heads are in a box in the living room. Yeah baby.
Sounds like a clear admission of defective products to me.
When I talked to Comp months ago I was told that there are "indentations" or score marks that can cause the top coil to break off if the marks are deep enough.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:10 PM
11 Second Club

So i talked to red in Comp Cams warranty claims today about the situation with the 918's . He sent me a new set of 918's and told me word for word...
"I ASSURE you that you will not have any issues with these new springs . These springs that we have on our shelves are different than the ones you have" . So my question is should i just throw on the new 918's and trust theyre good this time around ? Red said theyll have the affected batch numbers within the next couple of weeks and what happened to make them that way . I also have not got a chance to pull my valve covers yet to check my springs . BUT their batch number is 49826 which is one that other people have been having failures with . Any advice is helpful . Thanks
Old 06-14-2007, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZL1LT1
So i talked to red in Comp Cams warranty claims today about the situation with the 918's . He sent me a new set of 918's and told me word for word...
"I ASSURE you that you will not have any issues with these new springs . These springs that we have on our shelves are different than the ones you have" . So my question is should i just throw on the new 918's and trust theyre good this time around ? Red said theyll have the affected batch numbers within the next couple of weeks and what happened to make them that way . I also have not got a chance to pull my valve covers yet to check my springs . BUT their batch number is 49826 which is one that other people have been having failures with . Any advice is helpful . Thanks
Honestly, I would put on one of the other popular springs, however will be interesting to compare the new and old spring. Hopefully, you can post the diff for us.

If the guys says they are good, they must be. You can imagine the butt-f they will get if they fail again.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 03EBZ06
Honestly, I would put on one of the other popular springs, however will be interesting to compare the new and old spring. Hopefully, you can post the diff for us.

If the guys says they are good, they must be. You can imagine the butt-f they will get if they fail again.

Thats exactly what im thinking Thats why im having a hard time deciding
Old 06-15-2007, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Why would he not "ASSURE" you these will be different and won't break...it's not like he's gonna say, "they shouldn't break". They might be different and the problem might be fixed. I sure wouldn't want to be the guinea pig for a new batch of springs, especially when they had problems with the 918 line a few years ago and they are having problems again.
Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice, shame on me.
I really don't have anything against COMP CAMS, but really, why would you risk your $3000+ engine on a set of $160 valve springs.
I'm sure there will be those that want to use these springs and to those I say, I should have a new set that will be for sale, IF they exchange my broken batch for the "new" ones.

To each his own. Good luck, James.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:28 AM
10 Second Club

My 918 Spring brokeon my 02 T/A, yesterday, I dropped a valve, broke a rod & cracked an LS6 block & destroyed one cylinder head, Do you think comp is gonna pay for that!! I had a TR 224 cam with stock heads!! I'm screwed!!

Quick Reply: what the hell is going on with Comp 918s????