Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

what the hell is going on with Comp 918s????

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lock at the group byeat this link we started grate prises sare for the bad spelling

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4665206
Old 06-19-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today, I am VERY pleased to state that a few of the top dogs from Comp Cams called and were very concerned about their "918" springs. When I say their springs, I mean they were the designers of the spring. Die hard enthusiasts would best describe them.

They were very concerned about how the springs were failing and
equally about making things right for us as end users of the spring.

At this time, it is very evident they are working hard to collect data (springs, opinions, events) and analyze the problem. Keep in mind
they are fighting lots of misinformation on the web and have not yet had adequate time to assess the problem. Though the problem has not been specifically identified, mention of early 2006 springs and indications that fatigue may play a role after 3-4,000 miles was being looked at. It sounded as if they are going to collect more data, analyze the springs, call a few end users, then make an effort to let us all know what they found. While doing this, they actually found time to call end users. Very impressive.

What more could we ask? So, today, I tip my hat to Comp Cams.
For other guys with this problem, I suggest your contact them directly.
You will be glad you did. This has put my mind at ease with this issue completely and would like to express my thanks publicly.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=pat35]lock at the group byeat this link we started grate prises sare for the bad spelling

http://www.rinkworks.com/dialect/
Old 06-20-2007, 04:06 PM
Launching!

I could be wrong, but doesn't pat35 suffer from dyslexia?
Old 06-20-2007, 05:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Quick Double Nickel
I could be wrong, but doesn't pat35 suffer from dyslexia?
I believe he does.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:02 PM
11 Second Club

Your a champion Leebo, you need to run for public office mate where foot in mouth disease is prevalent there too I believe.

cheers
Old 06-21-2007, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

This really sucks as I swapped out new 918 springs in April of 2006 for my cent. supercharged stock LS6 motor making 8 lbs of boost. 5000 miles I have had 0 issues and the my stock boosted LS6 motor performs like a champ.

Do i need to be concerned here based on what has been happening or would you not worry given I have been golden after 5000 miles so far and my motor although bone stock is boosted to 7 to 8 lbs of boost via a D1SC Procharger?
Old 06-21-2007, 01:09 AM
Staging Lane

I have 049826 in my TBSS. Wonderful. Another reason to purchase the Livernois L92s.. What about the bar code? Could this distinguish anything fruther?
Old 06-22-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 03EBZ06
Today, I am VERY pleased to state that a few of the top dogs from Comp Cams called and were very concerned about their "918" springs. When I say their springs, I mean they were the designers of the spring. Die hard enthusiasts would best describe them.

They were very concerned about how the springs were failing and
equally about making things right for us as end users of the spring.

At this time, it is very evident they are working hard to collect data (springs, opinions, events) and analyze the problem. Keep in mind
they are fighting lots of misinformation on the web and have not yet had adequate time to assess the problem. Though the problem has not been specifically identified, mention of early 2006 springs and indications that fatigue may play a role after 3-4,000 miles was being looked at. It sounded as if they are going to collect more data, analyze the springs, call a few end users, then make an effort to let us all know what they found. While doing this, they actually found time to call end users. Very impressive.

What more could we ask? So, today, I tip my hat to Comp Cams.
For other guys with this problem, I suggest your contact them directly.
You will be glad you did. This has put my mind at ease with this issue completely and would like to express my thanks publicly.
Very good to hear that is definitely stepping up to the plate on behalf of COMP CAMS!
Old 06-22-2007, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I shipped mine off to Red today for analysis.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There have been many posts and replies in several forums stating the customer service at Comp is bad, I could not disagree more. Here is my story.

Comp Cams higher ups contacted me and they were very eager to get my information that led to my 918 spring failure so that the problematic products still out there could be isolated. They clearly admit now that there is a problem with certain batches since more people who have expressed problems have come forward. The first time I contacted Comp regarding this they were clearly on the defense, I think this was because the situation was still relatively new and the busted 918 threads were just beginning.

Comp has provided me with replacement products and made good on the situation, they are even working with the folks who have destroyed their motors as a result of a dropped valve when the faulty springs broke.

Every manufacturer eventually has faulty products that slip out the door. The true measure of an excellent manufacturer is how they remedy these issues and take care of the unsatisfied customer when things like this happen. The comments that some have made regarding Comp not caring or just wanting to screw people are total bunk, thing like that will not happen now days in the age of the internet.

The best thing to do when things like this occur is to document the problem and take pictures of everything to build your case before you contact the manufacturer or post on the boards. It is also best to keep product boxes and receipts. If you seem to have no luck with the first level of customer support then ask for the next higher level of customer support. Manufactures get scammed all the time, this is why they need to have the information stated above in order to proceed with addressing each customers specific problems.

If any customer feels like they are a victim of defective products and feels compelled to post their concerns on any message board, they must contact that manufacturer’s customer service too. Anything less is totally unfair to the manufacturer.

I will admit right now that I did not expect Comp Cams to be as forthcoming and helpful as they were in addressing the two major issues that I have had with their products, they have gone well above anything I would have expected.

Again I am extremely pleased with Comp Cams in helping me out with my specific problems relating to their products. I hope that others have similar positive experiences and will take the time to share them with everyone on the board.

Thanks again to Comp.
Bill
Old 07-05-2007, 03:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

***UPDATE***

Well i finally got time to swap out my crap 918's to PAC 1518's . Well
the second i pulled my valve covers i noticed the spring pictured below
My batch number was 49826 and i purchased these
918's in october 06' . Here is another victim to add to
the list of broken Comp Cams 918 beehives

Old 07-06-2007, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

ZL1 - call comp. I'm dealing with them now and they've been very good so far about making the situation right.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update on my experience

I had sent my springs off to COMP CAMS a couple weeks ago and honestly had no expectations about getting anything in return. I talked with them and have given them information about my particular case. I have to say that I am throughly pleased with the compensation that I have received. In my opinion they were more than generous and extremely friendly. It seems as if they are truely trying to put things right with their consumers and they have definitely done right by me. They were extremely fast taking care of me.....amazingly fast really.

I would have to say that it was THE BEST experience I have had while having a problem with a production item from a company. I am very impressed.

Thanks again COMP CAMS!!!!

James Hyde
Old 09-25-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone had any other positive or negative experiences with Comp Cams with respect to the beehives?
Old 09-27-2007, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Has anyone had any other positive or negative experiences with Comp Cams with respect to the beehives?
It was all positive for me. After sending them my broken ones, they sent me a check that was more than enough to cover my springs and retainers.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:46 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Comp is not making anymore 918 until this problem is fixed
Red told me if u have a set then just send them to Comp for an upgrade

I already bought PAC 1218's as my cam is only .570 lift
Old 09-30-2007, 09:06 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JS
Comp is not making anymore 918 until this problem is fixed
Red told me if u have a set then just send them to Comp for an upgrade

I already bought PAC 1218's as my cam is only .570 lift
So your saying that they will upgrade the mexican 918's to another spring ? Which other spring as mine are coming out in a weeks time.

cheers
Old 10-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS Enforcer
So your saying that they will upgrade the mexican 918's to another spring ? Which other spring as mine are coming out in a weeks time.

cheers
I'm hearing that they will send you 928s as the replacement because all non-PAC 918s are now suspect.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:17 AM
Staging Lane

K motion. . .

Quick Reply: what the hell is going on with Comp 918s????