Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

.800 to .900 lift for a 100% street car....anyone doing it with success?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn it's fun to watch somebody throw a grenade and see how many people jump on it.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 06-06-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pat G is the man. Always polite and gives so much help -- way, way more than any other mod (or member) 'cept maybe Pred-Z. If he blew up at this guy, it's because he's a ******* retard and deserved it. I laughed so hard when I read that post.

And, about all those, "I'll never buy from TR" people, you're all worthless and ignorant. You don't contribute anything to this site, or to its sponsors. You're worthless to everyone.

Though Pat is the nicest guy on here and doesn't even work for TR, you'd have to be so dense and so ignorant to make a statement like that. I guarantee that people talking **** about Pat don’t spend more than $100 a year on parts anyway, and the spend it frivolously on **** they don’t need at wherever their mouse pointer takes them. So, **** off you whining bitches.

I wish there had been no replies, as even a newb like me knew this was a stupid thread. Itis totally worthless. No point at all. Pages and pages of horse ****. I can't believe J-Rod, who knows as much as anyone or more (most often much, much more), wasted his time with that long post. I'm sure it was great, but i didn't read it. Bet it said something like "You'd have to be a complete and total moron to even think about putting a .800 to .900 lift cam in a 100% street car."

Lock this monotonous rag already. It's offensive to people who are trying to have worthwhile, productive conversations about real LS1 issues... like what type of headers are best, what oil to use, or what lid makes the most horsepower. +

Last edited by Sharpe; 06-06-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Pat G is the man. Always polite and gives so much help -- way, way more than any other mod (or member) 'cept maybe Pred-Z. If he blew up at this guy, it's because he's a ******* retard and deserved it. I laughed so hard when I read that post.

And, about all those, "I'll never buy from TR" people, you're all worthless and ignorant. You don't contribute anything to this site, or to its sponsors. You're worthless to everyone.

Though Pat is the nicest guy on here and doesn't even work for TSP, you'd have to be so dense and so ignorant to make a statement like that. I guarantee that people talking **** about Pat don’t spend more than $100 a year on parts anyway, and the spend it frivolously on **** they don’t need at wherever their mouse pointer takes them. So, **** off you whining bitches.

I wish there had been no replies, as even a newb like me knew this was a stupid thread. Itis totally worthless. No point at all. Pages and pages of horse ****. I can't believe J-Rod, who knows as much as anyone or more (most often much, much more), wasted his time with that long post. I'm sure it was great, but i didn't read it. Bet it said something like "You'd have to be a complete and total moron to even think about putting a .800 to .900 lift cam in a 100% street car."

Lock this monotonous rag already. It's offensive to people who are trying to have worthwhile, productive conversations about real LS1 issues... like what type of headers are best, what oil to use, or what lid makes the most horsepower. +
FYI- Patric G is associated with TR (Thunder Racing), not TSP (Texas Speed Performance)

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 06-08-2007 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Corrected vendor
Old 06-06-2007, 12:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Justin00SS
I'm sure you meant

Stock 98-00 trans am cam

Duration@.050 198.86 intake 209.25 exhaust
Lift .498 intake .497 exhausts
LSA 119.45

Stock 01-02 trans am cam

Duration@.050 196.37 intake 208.72 exhaust
Lift .464 intake .479 exhausts
LSA 115.92

Maybe you should have searched yourself.
actually i did and thats all i could come up with im pretty sure PSJ said something about it a long time ago in an LS2 thread but hey thats why i also said i could be wrong and to ask someone else to make sure ......
here this should be the correct info sorry for stearing him wrong
http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/En...6261&engCat=ls

Last edited by austin21; 06-06-2007 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by racer7088
there must be more to this story than I know with him and Quickin.
There's nothing else. I've never, that I can remember in 6 years of being here, ever PM'ed "P", chatted within a post with "P", or even posted in any thread that he started or was a part of.

This is a clear case of someone who doesn't like a member that asks alot of questions or that asks questions that are a little out there. And believe me, I'm not here to waste band-width or waste anyones time reading a thread I start. Its a serious question that I'm just wondering about and short of picking up the phone and calling a few sponsors/race shops to ask, this is the best place to ge fast answer. I'm about to drop a SHITLOAD of money on a set-up and I want to ask as much questions as possible.

And as I said before, people "WILL" be running .800+ lift in daily drivers in the near future, its the next step, its gonna happen, and its gonna be done reliably and made to last. If enough people want something, they will get it. How? I have no idea.

"PROGRESS"

Last edited by Quickin; 06-06-2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Damn it's fun to watch somebody throw a grenade and see how many people jump on it.
Wasn't my intension, but you're right, its funny to watch people that have so little going on in their lives that they need to come into a thread that they have no interest in or any worthwhile information to offer about the question and create 9 pages of crap.

But thanks to the people who did offer some info even if it is to tell me its not gonna work.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Oh man, I have another question, but I'm afraid to ask.

**** it man, I'll ask my builder everything from now on.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:23 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickin

And as I said before, people "WILL" be running .800+ lift in daily drivers in the near future, its the next step, its gonna happen, and its gonna be done reliably and made to last. If enough people want something, they will get it. How? I have no idea.

"PROGRESS"

That is like saying we're going to have cars that get 4000mpg, run 8's in the quarter, just because people want them. Where is the motivation to make .800+ lift cams for the LSX? What is the overwhelming market force that is going to drive that innovation? If this is such a a reality why has it not been done in other engine platforms with much longer development cycles, and a much more mature base? Look no further than the BBC. If .800 was dead nuts reliable, you'd see it in all sorts of performance applications like boats, pulling, and drag racing. As it is, you can do it. but it isn't exactly reliable.

You can believe what you choose to beleive. You can believe the moon is made of green cheese. You can believe That you are going to build an engine making 5HP per cu/inch. You can believe the world is flat. You can believe basically anything you tell yourself to believe. But, at the end of the day it all comes down to reality.

At this point the reality of the situation is you are talking out your rectum about something you have zero comprehension or understanding of. Just because you believe "innovation will drive us to .800 lift street cams makes it no more a reality than me spontaneously generating gills and breathing water.

Its nice to ask lots of questions. In fact I encourage folks to ask questions. Its how we learn. I also encourage folks to question the status quo, and to question "thats how its always been done". But, on the other side of it. You get folks asking questions who just want to dilly-dally about, and they don't want to have a true understanding of anything. They just want folks to spoon feed them an answer, and when they don't get it, they simply ignore the right answer, and go ask the question again until they get the answer they are looking for.

If you want to "back into" a final answer, so be it. as I said, there is someone out there who will build you anything you want. Heck, Jesel makes 2.1 ratio rockers. So, you can get some monster lift out of a cam with a "fairly" small lobe (.381 lobe lift). Again, it still comes back to the rest of the valvetrain. But of course that doesn't matter now does it?

But again, it still comes back to if someone is dumb enough to have it in their head that they must do X, there is some builder who will do EXACTLY what you ask. it may blow up in a few hours, but they did what you wanted...
Old 06-06-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by J-Rod
"thats how its always been done".
Thats what brings an industry to a stagnated state. There isn't alot of people who want to run .800+ lift on the street, but if were made possible with reliability and longevity..........they would be everywhere.

One day, that will happen, FACT.

What would you have said just 5 years that a 2,300 hp street driven daily driver engine could be buolt from a small block? You would have laughed....well they're here and VERY reliable.

I'm not gonna buy another run-of-the-mill 427ci LSx engine, it does nothing for me or anyone esle. I'm gonna push the limits as much as possible, just like I did in 2001 when everyone said I was ****** dreaming if I think I'm gonna get near 500 RWHP and 500 RWTQ with a nice, smooth idling, daily driver that is 100% streetable. I GOT ONE and ITS STILL RUNNING PERFECT. Now I could have listened to all the cheezeball companies/builders that said 440-450 RWHP is all I can hope to get and be able to drive it on the street with any reliability, I chose not to listen and to stick with my goals. I now have over 80,000 miles on my 436ci and loving it.

Oh well. We'll see what happens soon enough.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

Quickin,

There are probably more people that want to quarter their flight times than want to run 0.800" lift on the street. How come that hasn't happened? Even if you think that one day that will also happen, FACT, do you also think that one day we will be using Star Trek teleporters and faster than light starships? You do recognize that there are real physical and engineering limits that don't pay any attention to our desires or demands? Until you understand more of the physics and engineering of OHV engines, I suggest you tone down your assertive futurism and listen more to those who know.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Quickin
Two motors, two different cars. Joe knows all about my TT engine and the shop building it. This 454ci will be sprayed and put into my current WS6 and replace my 436ci.

My 436 is perfect, except for the oil burning from needing new rings and a hone, otherwise its a perfectly running engine. I don't see why he can't spray it hard.

You're building a TT 454 on spray?
Old 06-06-2007, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by J-Rod
That is like saying we're going to have cars that get 4000mpg, run 8's in the quarter, just because people want them. Where is the motivation to make .800+ lift cams for the LSX? What is the overwhelming market force that is going to drive that innovation? If this is such a a reality why has it not been done in other engine platforms with much longer development cycles, and a much more mature base? Look no further than the BBC. If .800 was dead nuts reliable, you'd see it in all sorts of performance applications like boats, pulling, and drag racing. As it is, you can do it. but it isn't exactly reliable.

You can believe what you choose to beleive. You can believe the moon is made of green cheese. You can believe That you are going to build an engine making 5HP per cu/inch. You can believe the world is flat. You can believe basically anything you tell yourself to believe. But, at the end of the day it all comes down to reality.

At this point the reality of the situation is you are talking out your rectum about something you have zero comprehension or understanding of. Just because you believe "innovation will drive us to .800 lift street cams makes it no more a reality than me spontaneously generating gills and breathing water.

Its nice to ask lots of questions. In fact I encourage folks to ask questions. Its how we learn. I also encourage folks to question the status quo, and to question "thats how its always been done". But, on the other side of it. You get folks asking questions who just want to dilly-dally about, and they don't want to have a true understanding of anything. They just want folks to spoon feed them an answer, and when they don't get it, they simply ignore the right answer, and go ask the question again until they get the answer they are looking for.

If you want to "back into" a final answer, so be it. as I said, there is someone out there who will build you anything you want. Heck, Jesel makes 2.1 ratio rockers. So, you can get some monster lift out of a cam with a "fairly" small lobe (.381 lobe lift). Again, it still comes back to the rest of the valvetrain. But of course that doesn't matter now does it?

But again, it still comes back to if someone is dumb enough to have it in their head that they must do X, there is some builder who will do EXACTLY what you ask. it may blow up in a few hours, but they did what you wanted...
You have to admit that street cars are running more and more lift these days, 650 lift in an LS1 isn't out of the ordinary these days. But I agree a step from 650 lift to 800+ lift isn't exactly a small step.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

After thinking abotu this a little more, I think the only way you could ever get 800 lift to stay together, would be to dramaticially increase the base lobe of the camshaft and the size of the lifters, both which are somewhat limited even with the lsx block. This way the ramp rates could be calmed down a little.... but at that point you probably could run a steeper ramp rate with less overall lift to get the same power with alot less work & $ involved
Old 06-06-2007, 04:24 PM
dug
Banned

Im amazed that its possible to have .650" lift in a hydraulic cammed street car. Whats the limit?
Old 06-06-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LILS
Quickin,

I suggest you tone down your assertive futurism and listen more to those who know.

No. But I do listen and learn.

Last edited by Quickin; 06-06-2007 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
You're building a TT 454 on spray?
No spray, no meth, just intercooled.

Last edited by Quickin; 06-06-2007 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by dug
Im amazed that its possible to have .650" lift in a hydraulic cammed street car. Whats the limit?
Yeah, but if you told alot of these Nay-Sayers 5 years ago about .650 lift, they would all be bashing you and telling you're just an annoying person.

My builder wants to do .650-.700 lift, his engine will stay together for years, just like they all do.

I was just toying with the probablities of going higher for a street car, and here we are 10 pages later.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
After thinking abotu this a little more, I think the only way you could ever get 800 lift to stay together, would be to dramaticially increase the base lobe of the camshaft and the size of the lifters, both which are somewhat limited even with the lsx block. This way the ramp rates could be calmed down a little.... but at that point you probably could run a steeper ramp rate with less overall lift to get the same power with alot less work & $ involved
i believe he is using a new LSX block which have the capacity to
have lifter bores machined to accept up to a 1.00 in. lifter.
if im not mistaken, i would assume this engine would be a solid roller with
liteweight valves such as Ti., and Jesel valvetrain.
pretty much fits the description of a Pro Sock motor
Old 06-06-2007, 08:01 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

The size of the LSx cam core allows for the use of lobes and lifts that would normally not be avaliable in previous generation motors. That is why we are able to run such high lifts. GM did a good thing with the LSx in that respect.

As was correctly stated I think you are going to need to step up to a larger cam tunnel bore (like 60-70MM or so). Think of it this way; if you have a 50-55mm core and your lobe lift is maxed out, switching to a larger core lets you increase the base circle by the amount you increase the core size and still have the same lift. What this allows you to do is spread the lifter acceleration stresses out over a greater area. That is going to be key to keeping the valvetrain alive.

I tell you what. I know someone who will build you the cam you want. You can call Comp and talk with one of the Sr. Engineers. But, I suspect they will tell you to go pound sand. So, I tell you what, call Howard. He goes by UDHarold on speedtalk. His number is 662-301-1245.

Originally Posted by UDHarold
I have several ramp design families that I have been using for the past 16 months, an aggressive 28* Major Intensity family that has worked fine in the lower 8000 range--No broken valve springs on any cams reported--and a 31* Major Intensity family I use for Comp engines, AND for street/strip cars. It has been spintron tested to over 9300, and the ramp opening and seating rates are those I used in an earlier 24-Hour of Daytona winner. I have had no failures, street or strip, with this family, either.
I make the 28* MI family from .3933" to .4544" lobe lifts, in various durations.
I make the 31* MI family from .3667" to .5300" lobe lifts, again, various durations.
My biggest problem so far has been finding semi-finished cam cores with sufficient high lift area to grind the cams without going into the core. I have ruined several cores in the past month, .4854" to .5300" lobe lift, because of insufficient high lift grind stock.
All my cams are designed for the journal-size being used, so there is no "duration-growth" using larger journals.
I also have less-aggressive, higher-RPM cams if necessary.
Some of the 28* ramps cannot be ground on small-base-circle SBC cams.
Alternately, you can go get the comp lobe book and start picking lobes out. You'll find a lot of lobes to get inthe lift range you want to get to. But, you better plan on spending some time on the spintron....

You've convinced me that you won't listen. So, I'll do what I can so that you can go down that road, and then you can use your experiences to educate folks on what the cost is to go down this road. So, I look forward to your reports back on how this little "experiment" works.

Quick Reply: .800 to .900 lift for a 100% street car....anyone doing it with success?