Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Clearancing Piston #8 for crank sproket.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007 | 09:26 AM
TECH Regular

Default Clearancing Piston #8 for crank sproket.

My builder just ran into an issue with my LS2 413 build where he needed to grind down a small section on the base of piston 8 in order to clear the gears that are used for crank timing. I noticed all of the pistons had small reliefs already in them. They were all identical in size, but the #8 had to be enlarged. Did anyone else encounter this? It looked like there was still enough meat on there, but he said that if a piston goes out its going to be that one .
Old 06-13-2007 | 06:44 PM
TECH Veteran

that kinda shady
Old 06-13-2007 | 07:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fastGBcamaro
My builder just ran into an issue with my LS2 413 build where he needed to grind down a small section on the base of piston 8 in order to clear the gears that are used for crank timing. I noticed all of the pistons had small reliefs already in them. They were all identical in size, but the #8 had to be enlarged. Did anyone else encounter this? It looked like there was still enough meat on there, but he said that if a piston goes out its going to be that one .
yeah the piston can be clearanced, but you should have got pistons specifically made for a stroker. If they aren't a short skirt you'll end up burning alot of oil. Used to be an issue with Diamond pistons, but they fixed it.
Old 06-13-2007 | 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

The weights should match in the complete rotating assembly so it looks like he needs to do some mods on the other seven to bring their weight down to match number eight.

D.J.
Old 06-13-2007 | 09:25 PM
Teching In

I had to use the JE forged side relief pistons in my 4.1" stroke motor. Their standard piston has that problem but the side of the piston on these is closer to the rod and the reluctor ring does not hit.
Old 06-13-2007 | 10:56 PM
TECH Regular

Default thanks

After reading the responces I think I might have poorly explained the part of the piston that needed clearancing. The pistons were custom made for a 4.1'' stroke and custom reliefs. They have very short skirts specifically for strokers. The part that made contact with the crankshaft timing gears, sproket thing was the underside of the piston right where the pin holds the connecting rod. The part that was clearanced came close to the locks.
Old 06-13-2007 | 11:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor
20 Year Member

It will be fine if your guy clearanced the piston similar to what I did on this piston to get the wheel to clear. I've seen engines where the trigger wheel clearanced itself because no one bothered to check the piston to wheel clearance.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Clearancing Piston #8 for crank sproket.-lunati-piston-modification.jpg  
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 06-14-2007 | 08:03 AM
TECH Regular

Default great

Thanks Steve, that looks very similar to what my builder had to do to my piston to get it to clear. I figured it would be ok, but its good to have someone with hands on experience back me up.
Old 06-14-2007 | 05:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Steve - Race Eng
It will be fine if your guy clearanced the piston similar to what I did on this piston to get the wheel to clear.

Steve
I did the same thing with my Diamond piston. No problems with it, but supposedly Diamond has redesigned it.