Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LSX 455 w/ Warhawk Dyno numbers

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 12:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think everyone has lost the site of the thread, the 455 LSX has done well considering the convertor we have in the car, Ill let yall know how it does once we get it tightened up. Thanks, Jay...ARD
Old 07-27-2007, 12:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Where do you come up with these numbers? 75 HP is an *** load of power. You using a trans dyno for comparison numbers? Or just pulling numbers out of your ***?
If you're trying to compare trans to trans, you cant do any type of comparison without locking the converters in both types of trans, and then measuring the power loss.
I wouldnt think a th400 would absorb any where near that much power.
The stall is what will act like the sponge.
Holly cow, ignorance is bliss.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:34 AM

Where do you come up with these numbers? 75 HP is an *** load of power. You using a trans dyno for comparison numbers? Or just pulling numbers out of your ***?
If you're trying to compare trans to trans, you cant do any type of comparison without locking the converters in both types of trans, and then measuring the power loss.
I wouldnt think a th400 would absorb any where near that much power.
The stall is what will act like the sponge.
You sir are a idoit.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:11 AM
Teching In

Why are you tigthening the converter? Are you going to spray? Are you just trying to put down better numbers on the dyno? A looser converter "should" perform better at the track, depending on what stall, your gear, shift points, power, rev limiter, etc.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by regal
Yep, ask anyone on here running a th-400 and they will tell you it eats a ton of power. The car is full weight 3950 and ran a best of a 10.006 on the old motor. car still has a/c , p/s and all the other ammenities
Nice job, keep tweekin and you will get it were it needs to be. A old man once told me when I was in a rush to get my car done that"Dolly Pardon wasnt built over nite" So dont let anyone rush ya and keep us posted on the change.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:48 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CoozePoodle
You sir are a idoit.
And how much dyno testing have you done with locked versus unlocked converters?
and calling someone A idiot? Its AN idiot. So who's the idiot? And damn, you even spelled IDIOT wrong. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Last edited by edcmat-l1; 07-27-2007 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GOaT Cheese
Holly cow, ignorance is bliss.
And you too. How much testing have you done PERSONALLY?
I can post actual test results. How bout you?
And what exactly is "ignorant" about my post? The amount of HP it takes to turn a th400? The fact that the 'verter is what soaks up the hp? So tell me where you get your numbers from?
I aint sayin it takes any certain amount of power, Just sayin 75 hp seems kinda out there. State what you know, from first hand exp., not some stuff joe blow posted on the 'net.
Besides, you spelled holy wrong.....

Last edited by edcmat-l1; 07-27-2007 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by regal
I think everyone has lost the site of the thread, the 455 LSX has done well considering the convertor we have in the car, Ill let yall know how it does once we get it tightened up. Thanks, Jay...ARD
Sorry for the off topic. I'm sure the combo performs well.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:18 AM
On The Tree

regal,

What compression did you end up with on this build?

Also, what RPM are you turning it to?
Old 07-27-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How you gonna lock a turbo 400 converter?
Well I don't know, regal. Is there no such thing as a lock up converter for a TH400? Never claimed to be an expert on those transmissions.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:00 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll reply for Regal in case he's not sure because I am. You can make a TH400 with a lock-up, its expensive but you can do it. Again call someone like Gearstar and you can have it.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:17 AM
11 Second Club

This is why on auto cars it's easier to dyno the engine with the same exhaust and intake it will be installed with to fine tune it and see it's power curve. Then stall and gear it to the cars specs and race it. Garage queens care about dyno numbers, real men care about e.t.'s. Like stated above, dyno's (chassis and engine) are a tuning tool nothing more. HP numbers are tossed around like they are won races.

my $.02
Old 07-27-2007, 10:20 AM
11 Second Club

p.s. I'm eyeballing the warhawk stuff as I research and plan my future combo. I'm interested in what she does at the track and is it remotely streetable
Old 07-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jason99frc
I'll reply for Regal in case he's not sure because I am. You can make a TH400 with a lock-up, its expensive but you can do it. Again call someone like Gearstar and you can have it.
Yeah the vans had lockup TCs back in the early 80s. Activated by a vacuum/electrical switch. But I've never seen a lock up racing converter for a 400.
You'd need the fluid circuit to go along with it. Dont know that you can just throw a lock up converter in and it work.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Launching!

Yeah and think even the SS454 PU had it the first year but It can be done in a racing scenario but its almost as expensive as what a nicely built 80E will cost.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:50 PM
Banned

^^^At least your info comes from first hand exp.
PS love the L92 double hump fuelies and the full race, not to be confused with the 3/4 cam
Me and the fellers roll about the 3/4 cam bit all the time!!
Last time somebody told me they had a 3/4 cam, I asked them if it had 12 lobes

Last edited by edcmat-l1; 07-28-2007 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:14 PM
Launching!

edcmat-l1,
I'm glad you saw that most people don't understand what that stuff means.

I sware on the following:
My friends dad just bought a 47-55 ? ford pickup with a flathead V8 and he ordered a parts book to rebuild the engine and etc... In the camshaft section it has a street cam, a 3/4 race cam, and a full race cam. Whats funny is that the specs for the 3/4 race cam are actually a little more aggressive than the 'FULL RACE MODEL"

Funny $hit
Old 07-28-2007, 01:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

And you too. How much testing have you done PERSONALLY?
I can post actual test results. How bout you?
And what exactly is "ignorant" about my post? The amount of HP it takes to turn a th400? The fact that the 'verter is what soaks up the hp? So tell me where you get your numbers from?
I aint sayin it takes any certain amount of power, Just sayin 75 hp seems kinda out there. State what you know, from first hand exp., not some stuff joe blow posted on the 'net.
Besides, you spelled holy wrong.....
The ignorance in your post stems from your lack of knowledge about the power consumption of a TH400 transmission. I have exactly zero experience with dyno pulls, aside from that, how can you possibly omit the torque converter from the power consumption argument, when it MUST be present? So, once again, give or take a bit for a given converter, a TH400 robs about 75 horsepower (as installed in a vehicle, with converter and all). And my source is straight from the horses mouth... G.M. engineering.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GOaT Cheese
The ignorance in your post stems from your lack of knowledge about the power consumption of a TH400 transmission. I have exactly zero experience with dyno pulls, aside from that, how can you possibly omit the torque converter from the power consumption argument, when it MUST be present? So, once again, give or take a bit for a given converter, a TH400 robs about 75 horsepower (as installed in a vehicle, with converter and all). And my source is straight from the horses mouth... G.M. engineering.
I did not at all OMIT the torque converter. On the contrary, I specifically stated, its the converter that acts like the HP SPONGE on the dyno.
The reciprocating mass of clutch packs, and drums DO NOT take 75 HP to run. Thats just ridiculous.
the power absorbing portion of any auto trans is primarily the TC. Thats why, in applications with a lock up converter, locking the converter will yeild results very similar to a clutch car. Because you have removed the TC from the equation, by simply locking it one to one with the crank.
If theres one thing I do not lack it is knowledge. I been doing this junk for 20 plus years. Have built too many cars to count. Street car, drag cars, yada, yada. I understand completely how an automatic trans and converter functions. Seems maybe you dont.
The power absorption can be differentiated from converter to trans only by locking a converter, therefore taking it out of the equation.
Your turn........
Old 07-28-2007, 11:39 AM
10 Second Club

its the converter that robs power. I am going to a glide from a th400 and dont expect to pick up much rwhp. Rossler told me you wounldt even notice any power difference from a th350 to a th400 when I was going that way.

Quick Reply: LSX 455 w/ Warhawk Dyno numbers