Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Clanking noise at startup til gets warm

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 10:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clanking noise at startup til gets warm

My car has been making a noise that sounds like under the intake area. Its a clanking noise and it gets louder at rev up. When the car gets warm it goes away. Any info... ? ? ?
Old 07-26-2007, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

Lifters or pushrods.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:27 PM
Teching In

yep prob lifters
Old 07-27-2007, 06:49 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks guys, but will it be ok to drive ? Or is it an issue that I need to address now ?

And thanks alot for the help and info. I called Jon at TSP and he said lifters as well, but was just wanting you guys 02
Old 08-08-2007, 10:18 AM
10 Second Club

Ok, the noise is here till it gets warm. It sounds like it is coming from directly under the intake in the engine. It is a loud tick, clank type noise. Gets louder at rev and goes away after about 2 to 3 minutes.

Is this a lifter noise to you guys ?

Is it necesary to address imediatly ?

Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If it wasn't doing it before and now is... that means something happened. I wouldn't drive it like that... you risk doing more damage to whatever is going on in there.

I'd start digging into it, maybe it's an inexpensive/easy fix now, but if you let it go, it could turn into an expensive fix.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:34 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
If it wasn't doing it before and now is... that means something happened. I wouldn't drive it like that... you risk doing more damage to whatever is going on in there.

I'd start digging into it, maybe it's an inexpensive/easy fix now, but if you let it go, it could turn into an expensive fix.
Could it be the lifters ? I have been told that, because when it warms up it goes away and sounds normal

Thanks JL....
Old 08-08-2007, 11:39 AM
Race your car!

It could be alot of things to be honest. First thing I would do is pull the plugs, see if anything there looks funny, then pull the valvecovers, check the rocker arms, make sure all that looks good, then pull the pushrods, see what they look like. If they're all strait and nothing funny there, the next step would be the valley cover, I think you can see the cam lobes from there if I remember correctly (been a while since I've seen an ls1 that way) and see if anything there looks funny. If anything looks off, then off come the heads, out come the rockers, and if one of them is wiped the cam is probably done too... so off comes the front of the motor too.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news.... but again, like I said better to get at it now then have it send metal thru the motor and wipe out all the bearings or somethign bad like that.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
It could be alot of things to be honest. First thing I would do is pull the plugs, see if anything there looks funny, then pull the valvecovers, check the rocker arms, make sure all that looks good, then pull the pushrods, see what they look like. If they're all strait and nothing funny there, the next step would be the valley cover, I think you can see the cam lobes from there if I remember correctly (been a while since I've seen an ls1 that way) and see if anything there looks funny. If anything looks off, then off come the heads, out come the rockers, and if one of them is wiped the cam is probably done too... so off comes the front of the motor too.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news.... but again, like I said better to get at it now then have it send metal thru the motor and wipe out all the bearings or somethign bad like that.
I think I should start by looking at the valve train. I hope it isnt that serious. I just prey that the lifters are the noise. I will be one pissed off mother if this 8k engine has internal failure in less than a year and less than 20 passes on it.

Its just confusing that it does it at startup and then goes away with heat. It runs normal with no missfires at all. No noise after warmup.

Thanks for the info, and it looks like you are rolling now.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

I had a clanking noise late last year that easied up after warmup, ran the car at normal speeds and reduced RPM for another month here and there, then the little **** (lifter) turned sideways, let loose and destroyed the block, cam and some of the valvetrain. $$$$ in damage.

DO NOT run the engine any further is my advice to you. Since you keep asking, you already know.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by walker94z28
Thanks for the info, and it looks like you are rolling now.
Thanks, it's getting there. I think there's about .2 to .3 left in the suspension setup that I can get out of it, and maybe another .2 from better weather (that late fall atco air) and that's all she's got n/a/// then it's time to spray it

Get those valvecovers off, and take a look @ what's going on. then get the lifter valley off, and see if you can see anything. Drain the oil too, see if there's anything in the oil that may be a tell tale sign of a problem. Don't run the engine anymore until you have found something.

Quick Reply: Clanking noise at startup til gets warm