Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

How much market for full tilt L-92's

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much market for full tilt L-92's

Just as the title says...how much market is their "really" for full tilt L-92's right now? I have a hard time believing this is a must have with the on-coming CV and splayed valve heads.

Just a curiosity
Old 08-09-2007, 09:48 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great question
I'm constantly asked about a maxxed out CNC version for the L92 heads and I always answer the question with "why?". Most street dirven cars can barely use what the Stage 2 version can dish out. Furthermore the L76 intake will not keep up with the current port programs so what's the point? As head porters we always want to give our cutomers the best port designs we can, but in this case the intake tract upstream becomes the bottle neck. Perhaps when a new performance oriented intake becomes available we can proceed with further development. Instead of the L92's, we've been focusing on the All Pro LSW castings.

Richard
Old 08-09-2007, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply Rich...I keep hearing mumble..and I have the master with a buyer that thinks he will make major cash...but I don't think the market is here!!! As you know about 1.5% of my market is street duty stuff so I thought maybe I was off base. Would like to hear it from the horse's mouth if you know what I mean.

Thanks
Dennis
Old 08-10-2007, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the L76 intake isn't keeping up why not use a carb-style? I am currently working on a big cube, solid, l92 setup. We will see just how much we can wring out of these things.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:10 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Pwebbz28
If the L76 intake isn't keeping up why not use a carb-style? I am currently working on a big cube, solid, l92 setup. We will see just how much we can wring out of these things.
In a race car thats ok, but for a dd it takes quite a bit of modification to run elbow/tb combos or 4bbl throttle bodies not to mention that specing a cam for a single plane is totally different.

Airflowdevelop,

What splayed and canted valve heads are you talking about? the R07 Stuff?
Old 08-11-2007, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Alex @ CMS
In a race car thats ok, but for a dd it takes quite a bit of modification to run elbow/tb combos or 4bbl throttle bodies not to mention that specing a cam for a single plane is totally different.

Airflowdevelop,

What splayed and canted valve heads are you talking about? the R07 Stuff?
Would you mind throwing me an example of a Fi intake cam vs a carb intake cam?

Just curious.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard@WCCH
Great question
I'm constantly asked about a maxxed out CNC version for the L92 heads and I always answer the question with "why?". Most street dirven cars can barely use what the Stage 2 version can dish out. Furthermore the L76 intake will not keep up with the current port programs so what's the point? As head porters we always want to give our cutomers the best port designs we can, but in this case the intake tract upstream becomes the bottle neck. Perhaps when a new performance oriented intake becomes available we can proceed with further development. Instead of the L92's, we've been focusing on the All Pro LSW castings.

Richard
As the L92 and the LS3 engines become more in use maybe a vendor can come up with a cost effective street manifold that will keep up with these heads. Even on my L92 setup it's the L76 manifold now holding it back. I really don't feel like having a big honking elbow sticking out the top of my C5 hood.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Richard@WCCH
Great question

Richard
Richard,
what happens when you add FI to the equation? Does it overcome the shortfalls of the intake to make better use of the available airflow produced by well ported heads?
Old 08-16-2007, 12:16 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by john_sblendorio
Richard,
what happens when you add FI to the equation? Does it overcome the shortfalls of the intake to make better use of the available airflow produced by well ported heads?
The pinch point is still a pinch point even in FI applications. The pressure differential is raised and so is the net power level. However the blower may run out before the pinch point has an effect on power or they may both occur at or near the same rpm in which case it's not an issue.

Richard

Quick Reply: How much market for full tilt L-92's