Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LSX Questions???

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LSX Questions???

Figured this would be the best forum to post this in, but am getting a LSX block and want to make it look absolutely stock. It will be punched to a 427-455(original Pontiac motor. Everything will be forged inside no doubt, but do have a few questions?

1) The LSX has a 6bolt/cylinder head bolt pattern, has anyone seen LS-series heads that are 6 bolt pattern?

2)I'm pretty familar with cam specs, but for a 427+ don't know how big I would have to go to get 600-650whp???

3)Which intake manifold flows more, LS7 or L92?

My end goal is to be able to pop the hood and (unless someone knows what they're looking at) have really no idea what the hells there. Ultimate Sleeper. I want to build this block as strong as possible and not push it as far as it will go atleast not yet. It will see a 200 shot and bigger cam down the road but will worry about that later because this car will see street more than strip for the time being. Looking on some feedback if anyone wants to chime in, if you do I greatly appeciate it. Thanks,
-Mike
Old 08-28-2007, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

#1 (will answer #2 and #3) get an actual builder who knows what the hell they are doing and they can take care of everything. I would also suggest avoiding a lot of the so called "experts" on this board as there is quite a bit of fodder here. Just find a competent builder that has been around for a while and can avoid most of the hype and you'll be okay.

Marty
Old 08-28-2007, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.MartyStone
#1 (will answer #2 and #3) get an actual builder who knows what the hell they are doing and they can take care of everything. I would also suggest avoiding a lot of the so called "experts" on this board as there is quite a bit of fodder here. Just find a competent builder that has been around for a while and can avoid most of the hype and you'll be okay.

Marty
Interesting concept!

That is excellent advice, Marty. Too bad most folks ignore it.

Jon
Old 08-29-2007, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Advise taken, but always open to others views. Believe me I'm no knucklehead. Thanks Marty and Jon
Old 08-29-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DVS99TRANS
Advise taken, but always open to others views. Believe me I'm no knucklehead. Thanks Marty and Jon
No offense was intended. Just see a good amount of people on this board invest money on "custom" cams from the "newer sponsors" that are just shots in the dark. You need to contact an actual shop, not a "cam expert" who has a 9-5 job working on something other than cars. It just pains me to see guys who pick two lobes out of a comp catalog, put it on an lsa just to get high dcr, and call it a day...there is much more to it than that.

Marty
Old 08-30-2007, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

A really good friend of mine is going to UTI right now and is going to be building a motor for class. He is going to build this motor for me with a GM/vette fanatic instructor. My friend asked him if he could build it for me if I provided the parts. Got the O.K. and the instructor was talking about even installing it in the Trans Am for me. I don't think I want to pass up on this, it will save loads and loads of money just getting the block punched alone let alone everything else. i have been doing research for a long time and know what I'm going to get inside, just don't know about the valvetrain. the cam will be custom no doubt, want a 116 lobe pushing big #s means big *** cam. The heads are my true worry because I would like to get the 6 bolt pattern if they are made, but have heard and seen nothing about them. I have written messages to a couple of companies but heard nothing back from them.

Last edited by DVS99TRANS; 08-30-2007 at 01:15 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-30-2007, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know, but I have full confidence on my friend along with the instuctor shadowing him the whole time too.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Already deciding that your cam is going to be on a 116 lsa is the first mistake. Call up bret bauer, ed curtis, or a few of the other real ls1 cam grinders and send them a check...they will get a lot closer than you will or 99% of the people on this board fwiw.

Marty
Old 08-30-2007, 06:46 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to contact an actual shop, not a "cam expert" who has a 9-5 job working on something other than cars.
Marty
Old 08-30-2007, 06:54 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A really good friend of mine is going to UTI right now and is going to be building a motor for class. He is going to build this motor for me with a GM/vette fanatic instructor. My friend asked him if he could build it for me if I provided the parts. Got the O.K. and the instructor was talking about even installing it in the Trans Am for me. I don't think I want to pass up on this, it will save loads and loads of money just getting the block punched alone let alone everything else. i have been doing research for a long time and know what I'm going to get inside, just don't know about the valvetrain. the cam will be custom no doubt, want a 116 lobe pushing big #s means big *** cam. The heads are my true worry because I would like to get the 6 bolt pattern if they are made, but have heard and seen nothing about them. I have written messages to a couple of companies but heard nothing back from them.
Lemme get this straight. You're gonna spend 10 grand on engine parts, and let a STUDENT put it together to save a few bucks? Because it'll save money on "punching it"? Hate to break it to ya, but "punching it" only costs a couple hundred bucks or so. Thats for boring and honing with a deck plate. A drop in the bucket for a build like this.
And then you wanna run a cam with a 116 LSA? And make 600 at the wheels?
A build like this and 'budget' dont go together.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:05 AM
TECH Addict

Already deciding that your cam is going to be on a 116 lsa is the first mistake. Call up bret bauer, ed curtis, or a few of the other real ls1 cam grinders and send them a check...they will get a lot closer than you will or 99% of the people on this board fwiw.

Marty
Good to see good advice. Between you and Jon, there is hope yet
Old 08-30-2007, 08:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ETP and All Pro have 6 bolt heads for your application.

D.J.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:17 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

1) Yes, Have seen many 6 bolt heads

2) Need to talk to a builder who actually has engines that meet you goals.

3) They are both on their tongue at that level with the LS7 being the better choice.

I would be concerned having your buddy build this type of engine. It's not something that will "bolt" together. At that cubic in level the package has to be well planned prior to buying parts. As stated above there are some very good builders out there.

Good Luck!

Robin
Old 08-30-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^That is what i was looking for^^^ 6 bolt heads thanks. I know it has to be blueprinted and balanced and yadda yadda yadda. I'm not trying to be a dick, i won't let him do this if I DIDN"T HAVE CONFIDENCE IN HIM!!!. I'm no water-head. that's why i'm doing the research now and the block won't even be started on until late spring. That's why I'm getting everything together. The end specs are in his ball-court, but in anycase thanks.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:08 AM
TECH Resident

listen- i have bought most of the parts for my lsx base engine build- slowly-

waiting on good heads for my needs-

i also have a lot of trust worthy freinds who i trust-but their is no way i will let them touch it wether they have done 1 or not-

i am going to a source who knows chevs-ls1,sbc,bbc and has built over 50 of each and has results and been in business for over 5 years+

freinds are good but when big dollar things stuff up-it destroys relationships-

u asked for advice- i will give it to u- 1. wait a bit longer and save for the cost of machining ,boring etc etc

2.find a good engine builder-

thats it really-

i mean if u got the money to even buy the a lsx block-i am pretty sure u can save up some extra cash- to get the best for your money-

i am young-but i have learnt 1 thing i really care about

u can beat cubes and cubes dont come cheap and is not built over night

My 2 cents.

i can't say i have been their done that-its just i already know the answer for that road-= no good-

at the end of the day we are all lefted with choices-which one? up to u i guess-

Take care-
Old 08-31-2007, 06:59 AM
On The Tree

Life lessons are hard to accept. But there several things you will never do if you enjoy peaceful relationships.

never lend money to friends or relatives

never buy or sell to/from relatives or friends

never let your 'buddy' build your engine

Don't care that you think you have it figured out.......you don't if you let him do this.Just think about his expression on his face when you call in that warranty claim.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:38 AM
On The Tree

I have several friends who I would trust to work on my car. One even was a sponsor on this site whio is out of business now. My TA was built by him and I had to sell it because it was not tuned right and blew a nice hole in the #7 piston. I could not afford to rebuild the motor at that time and he did not do anything to cover the cost for a rebuild.
Its great to be loyal to a buddy, but if anything goes wrong your friendship will be tested. go with a builder who actually can back up their builds and maybe even have some kind of warrenty on their work. I am sure your buddy will help fix anything but he might noty be in a position to pay for a rebuild if he messes up anything.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Finally heard back from some one I messaged about the motor (non-sponsor) so won't name 'em and am going to have them build it for me. They specialize in LS-series motor performance, but am going to get them to build it instead. Thanks for the feedback and appeciate it very much. Thanks Guys,
Mike
Old 08-31-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Finally heard back from some one I messaged about the motor (non-sponsor) so won't name 'em and am going to have them build it for me. They specialize in LS-series motor performance, but am going to get them to build it instead. Thanks for the feedback and appeciate it very much. Thanks Guys,
Mike
LMR in houston has alredy done a few 454 lsx engines.
they are a sponsor, and the prices are hard to beat
Old 08-31-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looking into LMR also then. Thanks NemeSS

Quick Reply: LSX Questions???