Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

My LSX 454 Buildup (Pics in side) & Tips I learned along they way!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Idle tuning

I've been tinkering with the car some more. I just reinstalled the A/c into it, and that aggravated my crappy idling. Also even after the dyno tune it had some surging or bucking at low throttle or no throttle at lower Rpm's. I have been fighting the throttle body for weeks now. If I screw the throttle open far enough to bring the Iac counts down to a reasonable level, the tps reads 2-4% open even though there is no throttle.

I was reading the post; Stop Drilling those Throttlebodys
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/177230-stop-drilling-those-tbs-fix-stalling-without-computer-tuning.html

So To fix my problem I had to drill the Throttle body. I ended up with a 3/8" Hole in the blade. This brought the Iac steps down to a reasonable level, I show about 5-10 Iac steps at hot idle no a/c, and about 100 Iac steps with the A/c on. And WOW did that make a incredible difference in the driveability and stability of the car!! Day and night difference, It has no bucking or surging anymore!!!!

So with that big of a engine and cam, and a small throttle body it needs a hole. No amount of resetting the tps will fix it if the blade is open so far that the tps dose not go back to zero.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:06 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ That's good that you figured out those issues. Are you going to have it retuned / dynoed soon?
Old 07-22-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
^ That's good that you figured out those issues. Are you going to have it retuned / dynoed soon?
This coming winter I will be adding at the very least a custom ls6 intake with a 90mm t.b. front, a 90 mm t.b., and probably a 100mm maf.

If the budget is there I will be doing a Complete Ls7 Ported top end. Heads, intake, throttle body, maf, ect...

Either way It will need another Dyno tune!! With some bigger number I Hope!!

I still have to fix my dana 60 leak. I just ordered a new gasket and oil so that should do it. It was also leaking from the case but I have that fixed now.

Drove it today And I think my pinion angle is off. It vibrates at anything over 60MPH on or off the throttle. Dose that sound like pinion angle or a drive shaft that needs balancing???
Old 07-23-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default The car is back!!

Got the car back today, it drives straight!!! I measured the pinion angle and it was only about .5-1 Degree so I bumped it to 2-2.5 degrees, I will give that a try this weekend.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=MPHmotorsports;7872810]
Originally Posted by 1Hotbird
I'm at a stand still with the assembly of the engine, Weds night I reolized the head bolts would not work So thursday I ordered the ARP LSX head bolt kit and instructed them to overnight ship them. Friday No Bolts I called and they said they shiped them saturday special They never showed up So now it will probably be the weekend after next when I get it in and running.

Andrew..... looking good.
Sorry about the bolts. I will check to see why they didn't arrive first thing tomorrow morning.
Of course I will call you once I get it straightened out.

To add a few more things. Andrew and I put together a setup that will hopefully work nicely for now and even better for a future top end. We used a piston that works for a 15 degree head or a 12 degree head that way we can do a LS7 top end in the future. We also specked a cam that will hopefully work ok now but really come alive with the LS7 style heads and the 1.8 rocker's. A lot of little things to think of when trying to put it together for now but have room to grow for later.
Also the headers are actually American Racing 1 7/8" race headers.
I am looking forward to seeing the results.
ya i was just going to say it looks like you have LS1 studs in that thing
Old 04-07-2010, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

old thread I know but was a new top end ever installed?? I read through all the pages and was hoping for some new numbers with the better top end. Really great numbers considering the intake and heads!!
Old 04-07-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sscamaroburn02
old thread I know but was a new top end ever installed?? I read through all the pages and was hoping for some new numbers with the better top end. Really great numbers considering the intake and heads!!
Have not had money for it yet. If I don't sell it I want to install them next winter. getting pricing now.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any news ??
Old 08-03-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I sold the car.

Quick Reply: My LSX 454 Buildup (Pics in side) & Tips I learned along they way!