Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cam Choices What to Do!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 05:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Choices What to Do!

So as some of you know, I was able to pickup some Kook 1 3/4 LT's and catless mids for $600. I was going to get them installed but I know later down the line, I want to add a cam so since I got a really good deal on the LT headers, I may as well spend another $700ish or so on a CAM setup and then save on labor costs to get the headers and cam installed and tuned at once.

What I'm looking to do is #1 be able to get equal or greater than 450hp to the wheels (maybe no after the header/cam install, but will be getting FAST 90 and heads later in the future), #2 drivability/torque it is my daily driver, however, I don't drive it too much as I live a couple of blocks away from my college so I walk, would also still like to have SOME torque in the low end #3 have a aggressive and mean sound to the car (going to have cutouts in the future).

I've been debating between the

TSP MS4 (239/242 .649/.609 111 LSA)
FTI Original StreetSweeper (236/240 .630/.610 111 LSA)
HPE S2 (239/242 .651/.610 112 LSA)

Both the MS4 and S2 are the larger/same cam. With a lower LSA on the MS4, the power band should be broader and come in a little earlier along with a more aggressive sound however, the lift on the S2 is a little larger than the MS4 possibly creating higher peak HP but also putting more strain on the valvetrain.

I've heard nothing but great things with the StreetSweeper and although it is a smaller cam than the two others, it makes great power and the power range starts around 2k. Low end torque is also not missing compared to the other cams.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Teching In

No replies?!?
Old 10-29-2007, 11:51 PM
Teching In

What about the streetsweeper II? Same as the original, but intake and exhaust are .630. This is the cam that went into my LS2. With this cam I made 432/398 with Kooks 1 3/4 and catless mid through an M6. You are right about not losing the low end, but your power band is off about 1K. The car pulls good to ~3200, then it pulls hard to about 6750 when the torque falls off. By hard I mean you can feel it hit the power, and it sets you back in the seat a bit more. I love the way it sounds, very lopey. I drive the car every day. I drive it hard, and still average 16.8 mpg. With the cruise set at 70, it gets 22-27 instant. Just some things to consider.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:31 AM
Teching In

StreetSweeper II?

Where is this on their page? Or did you custom grind it?
Old 10-30-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have the ms4 (111) and absolutely love it. puts down great cam only #'s...
Old 10-30-2007, 11:57 AM
Teching In

damm brian your everywhere!!!
Old 10-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HardHitter
StreetSweeper II?

Where is this on their page? Or did you custom grind it?
It may be a custom grind. Ed will have to chime in on this one. It is a flowtech grind, though. I told my installer what I wanted, and this is what he came up with for me. I liked the numbers, and it went in. Sorry I can't be more help.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Any problems with the MS4, I'm scared of the lift on all of these big cams. I am asking Ed what to go with, either the original streetsweeper or the hellraiser with my wants of sound/power/drivability
Old 10-30-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ed won't chime in here.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any problems with the MS4, I'm scared of the lift on all of these big cams. I am asking Ed what to go with, either the original streetsweeper or the hellraiser with my wants of sound/power/drivability
I would trust what he tells you.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:37 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by woffman5
It may be a custom grind. Ed will have to chime in on this one. It is a flowtech grind, though. I told my installer what I wanted, and this is what he came up with for me. I liked the numbers, and it went in. Sorry I can't be more help.
Ed is no longer a member here, so I doubt he can chime in on this one.
I am sure if this is the cam you want google can assist you in geting his number or email.

Also I will say it will be damn tough to get to 450 RWHP cam only. The heads and lack of compression is going to hold the combo back.
Good luck.
I believe I could assist you in geting you as close as possible to you goals and we have some sweet cam packages with Patriot springs, gaskets, Pushrods, etc.
Give us a call at 1800-364-1975 any time.
Jeremy
Old 10-31-2007, 09:28 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really depends on what kind of driving u do...
Most races are light to light (Not condoning street racing) so lowend TQ is king..
Track racing can give up alittle TQ down low for better HP up to (U will hook better)

I like TQ so these cams all look alittle too big..
I would contact FTI (ED)

We just did a CAM ONLY LS2 GTO 6sp
Comp 232-234 595-598 with ALL boltons including the FAST/90
No Cats and a loudmouth,The only mod we didnt do is a EWP

We made 450RW with the CAM ONLY setup
It can be done...
Old 10-31-2007, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

If you are looking for a true Daily Driver cam, I don't think you will be happy with any on that list. I had the TSP 233/239 in my camaro with all the other mods (heads, LT's, etc..), and it was a bit much for a dd. It felt like a dog until you revved up to 3 or 4 K rpm. It pulled like crazy up top though

If you want a peak hp cam, those are all good choices, and I would imagine they will all get you to 450 rwhp easily a set of decent heads.

IMHO a good street cam is one that sacrifices 10-15 PEAK rwhp for 20-30 more torque and hp through the lower rpm (2-4K). I have seen a lot of dyno's lately where a big cam like that will not pick up ANY hp over stock till 4K rpm. That would feel really lazy on the street, but at the track, it would be a blast.

Keep the duration smaller for the DD cam, but if you decide you really want a big cam, at least run a wider LSA to help the driveability.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:29 PM
Teching In

I just got back from meeting up with Tim and he just finished installing his StreetSweeper HT in his 06 GTO

First of all, I absolutely LOVE the sound that the cam gives the car (especially with the cutouts open) but I learned that the sound I love and want means that the car isn't tuned that well and when it's tuned well that sound will go away :-(

Tim let me drive the car and also more observations. #1 I need to get a GMM shifter because the stock one sucks hah. #2 I almost stalled it the first time I went to drive but once I got used to it, it felt pretty much the same as driving a stock car, just had to gas it a tiny bit more.

So with that said, it's again a debate between the original StreetSweeper cam or a S2/MS4 type sized cam like the HellRaiser.

Ed emailed me back basically saying he can make the HellRaiser with a lower lift but it is going to sacrifice power. I want a lower lift because I don't want any problems happening with my springs.

I think ill be happy with the original streetsweeper but I don't want to buy the cam and then a month or two later end up saying, I should of gone bigger.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

so what did u go with??
Old 05-10-2008, 09:21 PM
12 Second Club

I just got back from meeting up with Tim and he just finished installing his StreetSweeper HT in his 06 GTO

First of all, I absolutely LOVE the sound that the cam gives the car (especially with the cutouts open) but I learned that the sound I love and want means that the car isn't tuned that well and when it's tuned well that sound will go away :-(

Tim let me drive the car and also more observations. #1 I need to get a GMM shifter because the stock one sucks hah. #2 I almost stalled it the first time I went to drive but once I got used to it, it felt pretty much the same as driving a stock car, just had to gas it a tiny bit more.

So with that said, it's again a debate between the original StreetSweeper cam or a S2/MS4 type sized cam like the HellRaiser.

Ed emailed me back basically saying he can make the HellRaiser with a lower lift but it is going to sacrifice power. I want a lower lift because I don't want any problems happening with my springs.

I think ill be happy with the original streetsweeper but I don't want to buy the cam and then a month or two later end up saying, I should of gone bigger.
I had the Streetsweeper-HT, then the original and now bigger yet. This is the last cam for me. With a good tune the original is not much different to drive than the HT.

Quick Reply: Cam Choices What to Do!