Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Titanium Will Bend

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of LS7s been breaking the stock single behive valve springs over on the corvetteforum.....
Old 12-13-2007, 07:04 PM
TECH Resident

Cool

Originally Posted by chriswtx
Lots of LS7s been breaking the stock single behive valve springs over on the corvetteforum.....
why is that? is that a production fault or aftermarket single coil spring fault-

i will upload some pic's later of what a freinds ls2 spring problem and what it did-
Attached Thumbnails Titanium Will Bend-ls2-pistion-damage.jpg   Titanium Will Bend-ls2-rod-only.jpg   Titanium Will Bend-ls2-sleeve1.jpg   Titanium Will Bend-ls2-sleeve2.jpg   Titanium Will Bend-ls2outside.jpg  

Titanium Will Bend-ls2sleeve3.jpg  

Last edited by njc.corp; 12-14-2007 at 03:20 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by njc.corp
why is that? is that a production fault or aftermarket single coil spring fault-

i will upload some pic's later of what a freinds ls2 spring problem and what it did-
who knows...cheap metal, single beehive and 7000rpm red line, pretty big cam for a production car, etc...one or all of the above
Old 12-13-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

who knows...cheap metal, single beehive and 7000rpm red line, pretty big cam for a production car, etc...one or all of the above
Agreed 7000 RPM with that cam is a kinda tall order for those springs IMO
Old 12-13-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

so its a production problem-
Old 12-13-2007, 07:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

If you look around and do some investigating the LS7 block does have a pressed in liner that is very cheap.They have been slowly showing up at shops in need of dry sleeving with a new type of Ductile liner.They have been cracking, some under N/A power.The reason the LS1,and LS2 blocks are stronger and handling more power is that they do come with a as cast in sleeves.Also the cheap $2.00 single behive spring has been taking these engines out left and right.Just head over to the Corvette Forum and you'll find some interesting stuff!Traver
Old 12-13-2007, 08:33 PM
Launching!

I understood that Comp re-engineered the beehives - or at least they're in the process of it. I hope they get it worked out, the technology makes sense with helping stop spring surge and dampening harmonics.
Every search I did came up with the same info about the sleeves. I'll give NF at Scoggin-Dickey a call and see what he says.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:40 AM
TECH Resident

Cool

u would expect a bit better for the amount of money u paying for the car-
Old 12-14-2007, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
I don't know about your dealership but when I was working at mine we had 1 guy that worked on corvettes no matter what the problem was from interior to motor work he did it. Well, to get to the point a customer came in and was complaining about a trans noise in his lt4 vette really nothing was wrong with the trans. It was a very loyal customer of the dealer and they replaced the trans and the old trans didn't go back to gm and the tech ended up with it and sold it on ebay. So, nothing made it back to gm for analysis.
Beleive me when I tell you that this LS7 is going back to GM..we had a sick LS3 a month ago get sent back to GM for analysis..I monitor this stuff..cause if anybody is going to snag it ... its going to be me...
Old 12-14-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slt200mph
I have been keeping a close eye on that junk myself....wish there was a way ......but it is destined to go back to GM to be analyzed...

Well phuch it, I'll just come up that way and we'll drink
Old 12-14-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u would expect a bit better for the amount of money u paying for the car-

Expect all you want, GM doesn't give a ****- This is a game of bragging rights, and they win, period. Buy it, and brag, Don't, and whine like the rest of us. It's a factory hot rod with Technology and beyond...
Old 12-14-2007, 04:50 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW! That's definetly some major carnage. How many springs let loose on that one?
Old 12-14-2007, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Cool

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
WOW! That's definetly some major carnage. How many springs let loose on that one?
1 spring- that one spring broke in 3 spots- i have never seen that before-

the piston was stuck to the cyclinder head when they rip the head off-

that was something i never saw before-

major carnage was a understatement-@ the time i warn him not to try and use those springs-as they were the bad batch-

but others know a bit more on how to blow ****-

the car has been off the road for 6 months now as i am doing him and new engine-with a better top end-

i will try and get that pic of the piston stuck to the cyclinder head-now thats funny-last time i looked at it looked like someone welded them together-
Old 12-14-2007, 09:56 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

major carnage was a understatement-@ the time i warn him not to try and use those springs-as they were the bad batch-

Was that a 918 victim?
Old 12-14-2007, 10:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

^that's exactly what I was thinking?
Old 12-15-2007, 02:05 AM
TECH Resident

Cool

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Was that a 918 victim?
nothing else to say-
Old 12-15-2007, 07:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ramairws6
If you look around and do some investigating the LS7 block does have a pressed in liner that is very cheap.They have been slowly showing up at shops in need of dry sleeving with a new type of Ductile liner.They have been cracking, some under N/A power.The reason the LS1,and LS2 blocks are stronger and handling more power is that they do come with a as cast in sleeves.Also the cheap $2.00 single behive spring has been taking these engines out left and right.Just head over to the Corvette Forum and you'll find some interesting stuff!Traver
Can't do CF its to phuchin gay plus to many folks interested in high performance floor mats and high speed fuel rail covers...
Old 12-15-2007, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm, I didn't realize this problem existed in large quantities beyond an anomalous statistic.
Def. a little bit of a problem. So are these valvesprings "safe" at 6500? Or is it a flaw throughout. I'm probably mistaken, but would these springs fail from going that extra 500rpm to 7Krpm? I'm also quite curious if the problem has been located to a batch number and if so, I'm going to remove those craptastic springs, get some nice ones, and put the originals in a box or something for the collector or whatever.

**** like that rarely/if ever gets posted at cf, lest I see spam for some gay floor mat or partition or bling item. I'm quasi-surprised they would have this item as a discussion item really.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well since we are playing "you show me yours and I'll show you mine" carnage photos..here are a couple more bloody photos.... a little LS2 rod bolt failure..GM didn't want this one back..the customer who did it had a history of blowing up motors in his Corvettes..he paid the bill for the new crate engine.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:03 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

^ I think that's what happened to mine except it was on startup so not as extreme. The damage looks really similar though. I haven't torn it down yet.

Crappy 98 rod bolts.

That guy must have tried something stupid to have a rod bolt fail on a less than two year old engine.

Quick Reply: Titanium Will Bend