Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Is your LSx overheating?? HERES WHY..[PICS]

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 02:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My calipers are powdercoated, and acetone does the same thing.

But I have to agree, the powdercoat/paint job SUCKS on these blocks.
BUT....Its not so much for looks, as it is for protection. I could honestly care a less what the bottom side of my motor looks like..
Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles
Those blocks are NOT powdercoated. Take a rag with acetone and rub it - it comes off. They're PAINTED!
Old 03-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Launching!

The Wilwood calipers I have just shine up with acetone, I get no color off of 'em at all. I've seen CNC big blocks powder coated from the factory, there's no overspray on 'em and the powdercoating is stuck like it should be. Of course, these are cast here, not "wherever". If the LSX block is powdercoated, it's a junk job, thanks for the alert.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:02 PM
FormerVendor

Does ANYONE have the phone number to GM Performance Parts?? I have searched everywhere. All I get is "Please email us your comments"

I even have their new 2008 catalog, and it lists ZERO phone numbers..
Old 03-07-2008, 04:48 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Were did you get the block from Jeff?
Old 03-07-2008, 05:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn thats SUX big time I would be pissed for sure.

Good luck man and PLZ keep us posted.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:11 PM
FormerVendor

When/If the engine builder see this thread and cares to comment, then that can be discussed. I hope you can understand.

I AM NOT pointing fingers at my builder. As a matter of fact, I use them weekly, and will continue to do so.

Although I wish this would have been caught, its GM's fault for such pizz poor QC.

My suggestion: EVERYONE with an LSx block needs to pull their waterpump and radiator. You can even go as far as removing the threaded waterjacket plugs and jetwash the block out. It wont hurt anything. Then, I would have the radiator inspected..

Anyone who PM's me with an LSx block, I will add them to the list of people I am already collecting.
This should be enough to get GMPP to make a few corrections and start compensating for the shop time to correct the problem..
Originally Posted by JPH
Old 03-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AMERICAN_HP
Does ANYONE have the phone number to GM Performance Parts?? I have searched everywhere. All I get is "Please email us your comments"

I even have their new 2008 catalog, and it lists ZERO phone numbers..
PM Robin L
https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=58967
Old 03-07-2008, 08:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by TAF Motorsports

I have looked at the pictures and I have my own thoughts.
I will hold off until I have the opportunity to inspect a block that I have in the garage. It's a new block in an un opened crate.

I have forwarded a note to my contact at GMPP.

Robin
Old 03-07-2008, 09:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by JPH
That is where you need to start. The dealer that sold you the block.

Robin
Old 03-07-2008, 11:41 PM
TECH Resident

I heard that those blocks are forged in India, and that gmpp is looking at new factory's in the US to start making them state side. At least thats what a gmpp rep told me. So I wouldnt doubt that the fit and finish on that is kinda shotty.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:22 AM
Launching!

I showed the pics to an engine builder I know, he said that his understanding is that the blocks are powdercoated but it looked to him like it wasn't cooked long enough for the powdercoat to fully cure and adhere to the metal. The overspray is another issue altogether - I guess it takes too long to mask something off to be cost effective when you're paying your workers almost 75 cents an hour.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Resident

I showed the pics to an engine builder I know, he said that his understanding is that the blocks are powdercoated but it looked to him like it wasn't cooked long enough for the powdercoat to fully cure and adhere to the metal. The overspray is another issue altogether - I guess it takes too long to mask something off to be cost effective when you're paying your workers almost 75 cents an hour.
Exactly
Old 03-08-2008, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

GM Powertrain contact center 1-866-453-4123. I would start with your local dealer first though.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:04 PM
FormerVendor

I would love to hear your thoughts via "Confidential" pm.

Every LSx block I have searched soo far in this forum has shown powdercoating in the waterports.

I think its plain and simple.. GM didnt take proper PREP procedures before coating the block. Its aparent by the overspray in the valley. There is no reason for it to be there. There are multiple posts complaining about the pizz poor painting/coating of this block.

I have seen builds where they intentionally painted it for oiling reasons, but in this case thats clearly not the case.

Originally Posted by Robin L
I have looked at the pictures and I have my own thoughts.
I will hold off until I have the opportunity to inspect a block that I have in the garage. It's a new block in an un opened crate.

I have forwarded a note to my contact at GMPP.

Robin
Old 03-08-2008, 03:06 PM
FormerVendor

I have spoken to them..

I guess the real question is, is is it a NORMAL procedure for an engine builder to wire brush the waterports on all their motors??

Robin
Old 03-08-2008, 04:23 PM

Robin
I love it. They made it, but go to the person who sold it to you. Good luck & let us know how you made out.

I assume they are going to say that these are bare blocks and you need to clean them up before assembly.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not really sure who would build a motor and NOT clean that out first... that to me seems odd.

First thing that should be done with a block is clean the entire thing very, very well before even starting assembly, if the paint/powdercoat came off that easy, it surly would have been found with a wire block cleaning brush at the get go.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Launching!

If the builder didn't know of the LSX's powdercoat problems, there was no reason for him not to believe that it would stick like any other powdercoat and never cause a problem.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:38 PM
FormerVendor

Exactly,

Plus how many shops have gone throught the effort of polishing the valley area to get the overspray off?? I would bet NONE.

Unfortunately, the powdercoating on these blocks come off in the cleaning process. Do a search on this issue. It was either Katech or W2W that brought up the question.

Dont you DAARE use a cleaning chemical on the block, it turns into an orange gooey mess.
If the builder didn't know of the LSX's powdercoat problems, there was no reason for him not to believe that it would stick like any other powdercoat and never cause a problem.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We grind/polish the valley area to remove the powdercoat in the engines we have built and smooth oil return to the pan. The LSX is a foundation for many different type of builds right up to 2000+hp power adder builds, but the engine builder needs to prepare the block for its intended purpose/use. GM has provided a serious foundation for the custom builders to work with and with the help of sites like tech we can stay informed of preperation that will help all. Maybe a sticky with "Things to check" at different power levels would be cool?

Kurt

PS: I don't think the powder coat in the water jacket will do any damage, but removing it can't hurt either!

Quick Reply: Is your LSx overheating?? HERES WHY..[PICS]