Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Is your LSx overheating?? HERES WHY..[PICS]

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 11:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 427
PS: I don't think the powder coat in the water jacket will do any damage, but removing it can't hurt either!
You don't think it will cause an obstruction in the coolant passages?
Old 03-09-2008, 03:01 AM
FormerVendor

I agree with you 100%.

If your building an all out race motor, then I could see polishing the valley. But were not talking about 25K dollar motors here. If I had you build me a 25+ thousand dollar motor, i'd expect nothing less.

But were talking about 600-1300hp motors. I'm willing to bet, 1 out of 100 take those precautions. Gawd I'd hate to see the bill if I asked my engine builder to polish the valley of my motor..

But honestly, when an average buy drops 2 grand on the BLOCK she he really have to clean up GMPP's mess??

I COMPLETELY disagree about the cooling issue.. WILL/Could it get cought up in the coolant passages around the cylinders? Probably not. But multiple 1"x1" pieces of powdercoat is NOT gonna make it through the radiator every time. All it takes 1 blocked passage in the head, 1 blocked coolant row in the radiator, or one of those pieces to get caught up in the rear passages of the head, and your chasing your tail..
Originally Posted by 427
We grind/polish the valley area to remove the powdercoat in the engines we have built and smooth oil return to the pan. The LSX is a foundation for many different type of builds right up to 2000+hp power adder builds, but the engine builder needs to prepare the block for its intended purpose/use. GM has provided a serious foundation for the custom builders to work with and with the help of sites like tech we can stay informed of preperation that will help all. Maybe a sticky with "Things to check" at different power levels would be cool?

Kurt

PS: I don't think the powder coat in the water jacket will do any damage, but removing it can't hurt either!
Old 03-09-2008, 07:11 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

A wire wheel and about 15 min would probably clean all the coating off the valley. The water jackets, I suspect only the first bit of them have any coating in them, a small wire wheel would probably fit in there as well.

You're not talking about 20 hours of work, this is about an hour fo cleanup/prep, guy that built my motor ( not an lsx, ls2, but it's irrevelant at this point) went thru every single opening/crevase/nook/cranny wi9th a wire brush I watched him do it, to make sure there was no loose debris on any of the surfaces, it was explained that one little tiny nub of casting is all it takes to eat a bearing, so that being said he takes the time. I would expect all good builders to be on the same page with stuff like that.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:18 AM
Launching!

I might be more afraid of a wire coming off the brush and ending up somewhere in the motor than a little bit of casting flash. It takes a small cup brush to do water passages and it would be very easy for wire to end up in the coolant passages.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:22 AM
Race your car!

that's why you use a air hose and blow it out very very good after you're done.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Launching!

Bottom line is that the blocks should have been masked off during the powdercoat process.
Keep in mind, too, that friction can temporarily magnetize anything with iron in it and make some of this stuff almost impossible to move.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 03-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Race your car!

a good air compressor and a good air hose with a fine tip should be able to blow most of it out of the block, if you have loose stuff in there.

just sucks that ya find it after the motor is built.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It certainly could, but will it? I would just clean it out when its built if you are worried about it.

Kurt
Originally Posted by Azrael
You don't think it will cause an obstruction in the coolant passages?
Old 03-09-2008, 08:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well guess im sorry/glad to hear about it...sorry that its a problem, glad i saw that before I ran my own LSx block

Quick Reply: Is your LSx overheating?? HERES WHY..[PICS]