Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Titanium valves?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
I dont doubt what you are saying, and you sound like a sharp guy. I just wanted to warn the lessor knowledgable ones reading that just because the add says titanium, doesnt mean it really is. IE. if the set of valves are $100, you can bet they arent Ti. About what is that guy charging to rework valves, our of curiousity sake? I ask, because I know of two guys that do it locally and its not really viable.
lol, that's me! j/k, i know enough not to trust ebay and i know the differences between Ti and Ti coating.

i'm just wondering why i would need Ti exhaust valves to suit a cam if Ti exhaust valves would be a problem. in other words, why spend the money on a cam that requires a valve that won't last? why not Ti intake valves and some type of other lightweight exhaust valve? what's the closest subistitute, hollow-stem, sodium-filled, inconel, what? i won't be running boost, and N20 is only a possibility in the distant future, and if it come to fruition it would only be about a 150 hit.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:49 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ I like inconel for exhaust valves. It dissipates heat extremely well, is still decently light, and is readily available at a reasonable price.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:30 AM
TECH Addict

well i just found out the set of ET heads i want to run are in the $4000-4500 range all of the discussion is moot unless my dirtbike sells
Old 03-26-2008, 06:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
lol, that's me! j/k, i know enough not to trust ebay and i know the differences between Ti and Ti coating.

i'm just wondering why i would need Ti exhaust valves to suit a cam if Ti exhaust valves would be a problem. in other words, why spend the money on a cam that requires a valve that won't last? why not Ti intake valves and some type of other lightweight exhaust valve? what's the closest subistitute, hollow-stem, sodium-filled, inconel, what? i won't be running boost, and N20 is only a possibility in the distant future, and if it come to fruition it would only be about a 150 hit.
If you are running N/A you can run the factory exhaust valve. It weighs roughly the same as the much larger TI intake valve.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a pic of the Lingenfelter 383 that swallowed a Ti exhaust valve, save the money on the exhaust side and get a sodium filled. I'd hate to see this happen to someone else. This may have worked on other motors but why take the chance? After the motor was built I talked to a guy who races vintage Corvettes and they had the same issue there motors were swallowing Ti exhaust valves. I'm not saying that it hasn't worked in the past, I'm just saying why take the chance.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:54 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ That's quite the carnage picture there. I like how it completely trashed the block.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

holy sh*t that picture makes me wanna sell the car and buy a Huffy

i'll probably go with a Inconel ex valve and Ti intake....this is all budget-permitting though

thanks for all the help guys. this is why i love this board
Old 03-26-2008, 07:52 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by LT-4Play
Here is a pic of the Lingenfelter 383 that swallowed a Ti exhaust valve, save the money on the exhaust side and get a sodium filled. I'd hate to see this happen to someone else. This may have worked on other motors but why take the chance? After the motor was built I talked to a guy who races vintage Corvettes and they had the same issue there motors were swallowing Ti exhaust valves. I'm not saying that it hasn't worked in the past, I'm just saying why take the chance.

What seat material was he running? Be-Cu?
Old 03-26-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
holy sh*t that picture makes me wanna sell the car and buy a Huffy

i'll probably go with a Inconel ex valve and Ti intake....this is all budget-permitting though

thanks for all the help guys. this is why i love this board
Unless you are going to run boost, there is no reason to run the inconel. For a strictly NA engine, the factory hollow stems are great. You could run a 100 shot on them also with no problems.

That is what is going in mine. And no I did not scrimp and save. I have more in my factory ls7 heads than the price that ET quoted you. I spent money everywhere it would make me power, but no where it wouldn't.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
What seat material was he running? Be-Cu?
They where copper berlynium (sp?) The valves were 1 piece Ti.

Quick Reply: Titanium valves?