Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Best way to choke a 408 N/A..... unported GMPP L92 Intake FTL!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WizeAss
I am sold on the fact that the intake needs work. It does not distribute evenly, and I would assume by porting it properly in the front for more air to move forward you can compensate for the lack of flow to the front 2 runners. I dont think the short turn effects a smaller cube motor as much as one would think, regardless the elbow flows much better than a composite. The increased runner length is definately a concern, but isnt the point of using the elbow to gain more runner volume back that the intake lost?
You are making some grave assumptions that will cost you time and money. As others have explained, the intake flow capability is not the problem, nor is the flow capability of the elbow. But the eblow is 90+% of your problem. You are not going to be able to port your way out of it. Your distribution issues are directly related to what the elbow is doing to the air as it enters the intake manifold plenum. You are going to have to change parts to fix it. Do yourself a huge favor and get a hold of a 2" carb spacer, take your car to your local chassis dyno guy, dyno it as it sits and then try it with the 2" spacer. The spacer will essentially fix the short turn issue (not 100%, and not perfectly, but much better) and show you that the elbow is in fact the problem. I know you can't run it like that, but it'll prove my point.

Now, if you were to put a blower or turbo in it, you'd probably be fine, but naturally aspirated (with or without nitrous), you will continue to have woes with the path you're planning. In fact, I would not even consider nos until you get it running right n/a.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1
Good idea with a carb spacer, quick simple test to prove the issue.

I listed nitrous last on the "to do list" because it's pointless/dangerous
to spray it until the car runs properly N/A.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSX Wizard
You are making some grave assumptions that will cost you time and money. As others have explained, the intake flow capability is not the problem, nor is the flow capability of the elbow. But the eblow is 90+% of your problem. You are not going to be able to port your way out of it. Your distribution issues are directly related to what the elbow is doing to the air as it enters the intake manifold plenum. You are going to have to change parts to fix it. Do yourself a huge favor and get a hold of a 2" carb spacer, take your car to your local chassis dyno guy, dyno it as it sits and then try it with the 2" spacer. The spacer will essentially fix the short turn issue (not 100%, and not perfectly, but much better) and show you that the elbow is in fact the problem. I know you can't run it like that, but it'll prove my point.

Now, if you were to put a blower or turbo in it, you'd probably be fine, but naturally aspirated (with or without nitrous), you will continue to have woes with the path you're planning. In fact, I would not even consider nos until you get it running right n/a.

I already have a plate on it for nitrous.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:56 PM
Tenured Member

have you had the n2o spacer in there the whole time try pulling that out for ***** a giggles. I would bet it would help the elbow work how it was designed.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SMOKY
have you had the n2o spacer in there the whole time try pulling that out for ***** a giggles. I would bet it would help the elbow work how it was designed.
Come on man. You know there was no mathematical calculations designed into that elbow...It was made simply to clear the cowling on a stock hooded car.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Howie Felterbush
Come on man. You know there was no mathematical calculations designed into that elbow...It was made simply to clear the cowling on a stock hooded car.

If that was true then it would fit. But it doesnt without some modifications. I am there with you on the not mathematical calculations though.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Tenured Member

Just throwin some easy ideas out to the guy. Other people are using that intake and not runnin into trouble they also dont have a maf either.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:08 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SMOKY
Just throwin some easy ideas out to the guy. Other people are using that intake and not runnin into trouble they also dont have a maf either.
they also dont have heads with ports big enough for a big block and only stock RPM's.....

combination of 265-270cc intake ports, valve shrouding from only a 4.030 bore and 2.125 intake valve combined with only 7000 rpms and a restrictive front end make for a weak combination. I hope that it does decent on the bottle.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So...

Have you run a 4-bbl on that sucker yet?

If not, what's stopping you?
Old 05-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Teching In

I have contemplated that exact elbow for my next setup. One thing that jumped out at me as a possible shortcoming is the abrupt transition from round to square and the resulting diffusion loss.

If it were me I would spend a little time with Bondo or JB Weld and fill in those corners and create a taper from the tb opening towards the bend. You got nothing too lose and some other people could benefit from your R&D.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:04 PM
10 Second Club

my car just made 455/515 with a retune and different converter. Heads up... honestly I think that if it had wheels other than the 42lb TT2/28tall combo and a 6 speed it would make 490/530 or so..... not too shabby. Sent the car to a lil speed shop in Lewisville and they spent some time fixing loose ends and getting it ready for goin fast.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Don`t feel bad. I`ve got a ton of money in my heads and my fast stops me at 5400rpms all the way threw! I could have gotten more with a better intake set-up. But thats life!! When something better comes along I will switch to it! Until then my numbers in sig are all I have( A4 tranny). I bet yours runs strong!! Good Luck!

P.S. Greg Good did my heads and fast intake so you know they flow there *** off!!
Old 05-20-2008, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

Mine makes that on a Dyno Dynamics with the 20" rims and it's a 6.0L auto. Something isn't quite right with it if your not getting 100 map @ sea level.

cheers
Old 05-20-2008, 06:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by beardWS6
Don`t feel bad. I`ve got a ton of money in my heads and my fast stops me at 5400rpms all the way threw! I could have gotten more with a better intake set-up. But thats life!! When something better comes along I will switch to it! Until then my numbers in sig are all I have( A4 tranny). I bet yours runs strong!! Good Luck!

P.S. Greg Good did my heads and fast intake so you know they flow there *** off!!
Brian at Real Performance Motorsport in lewisville tx spent a few minutes on the intake. He also corrected the lack of PCV with a LS2 valley cover, and KPA went from the previous 91 to 93...... The car went from 429rwhp to 456 or so and the tq went from 430 to 515..... the biggest change was the change from an Art Carr to a Neil Chance converter.

To be honest, I am very impressed with the gains! If you take he 75rwhp for drivetrain loss, with those huge port heads it would be about 490-520 or more on a typical 6 speed car. Not bad for a restrictive intake, 236 duration cam and 265-270cc intake port heads if you ask me.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:29 PM
10 Second Club

Those numbers sound more like it. That A3 w/ stall will rob HP on the DYNO. My guess for My car was arund 470rwhp and 520rwtq so you are right there on what the combo should do.After all it is a N2o motor so it will shine on the bottle. Get some drag stars for the rear and I bet you go Mid to high 6,s NA in the 1/8. Good Luck.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by IH8FORD
Those numbers sound more like it. That A3 w/ stall will rob HP on the DYNO. My guess for My car was arund 470rwhp and 520rwtq so you are right there on what the combo should do.After all it is a N2o motor so it will shine on the bottle. Get some drag stars for the rear and I bet you go Mid to high 6,s NA in the 1/8. Good Luck.
Hoping to go 7.0's on motor. If I can do that I am sure I can get to a 6.0 on the jug. Hell, I ran a 7.67 on motor and then went 6.4 with a crap converter in the car before.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

So you haven't yet considered a 4 BRL and mafless tune? I think it would get you 100kpa no worries and more hp/torque .
Old 05-22-2008, 09:12 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ true, the elbow is an easy fix due to fittment issues but, IMO, the only way to feed those heads is a 4brl tb, accufab, wilson, fast, 1200+ cfm should do it. The air speed in those chambers is slow enough, IMO elbows are restricting airflow plus how hot does that elbow get? Good on forced induc. but laggy on na's. The ultimate if cash is not an issue is a kinsler. Youve already cut the cowl so ur comitted. You can try a carb cap or cover from the likes of procharger or others, to fab a filter. Might be able to save the hood that way. I also beleive that the 4brl tbs helps with intake air temps.

Last edited by 3fingas; 05-27-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Are all elbos that restrictive, or just the one wizeass has? If they aren't, which ones aren't?
Old 05-22-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well, I'd look into the edelbrock elbows...they maintain the circle shape of the TB.

Quick Reply: Best way to choke a 408 N/A..... unported GMPP L92 Intake FTL!