Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Need L92 Help Please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need L92 Help Please.

I recently aquired a L92 short block out of a '07 escalade and I think that I'm confusing myself with all the searching that I've been doing. From what I can tell, it will fit in my '04 GTO with some minor parts changes. My question would be what internal parts fit. The cylinders are slightly scarred and therefore need to be bored a little to clean them up. Can I get just a normal LS stroker rotating assembly and it will work or is there minor differences? Also where is the best place(sponsors by chance) to get L92 internal performance parts? Thanks for the help, my eyes are hurting from all the searching.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:26 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You could go with a 4" stroke, clean the bores up .005 if that's all it takes (4.065 factory bore) and have a 416

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/499059-ls3-l92-info.html
Old 06-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Teching In

^^^^^ listen to this man.. he knows that hes talkin about.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:25 AM
Teching In

So any LS2 rotating assembly will fit? I'm taking the block to the machine shop in a couple weeks to make sure it can be cleaned up. Also, can a L92 block be resleeved? I have a second block, but it has a nasty gouge in it and is cracked. Thanks again.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:33 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Call Steve at RED (Race Engine Development) to talk to him about sleeving. Yes blocks can be resleeved.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:57 AM
Banned

Thumbs up good friend

He is a good friend that speaks well of us behind our backs.----------------------------------Do you look for free wow gold? Welcome to our WoW Gold , Our links:wow gold, wow gold, wow gold,WoW Power Leveling.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lovingttu
He is a good friend that speaks well of us behind our backs.----------------------------------Do you look for free wow gold? Welcome to our WoW Gold , Our links:wow gold, wow gold, wow gold,WoW Power Leveling.

^ this douche was on a few other car sites today too polluting the boards.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:21 AM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Originally Posted by '02blackz28
So any LS2 rotating assembly will fit? I'm taking the block to the machine shop in a couple weeks to make sure it can be cleaned up. Also, can a L92 block be resleeved? I have a second block, but it has a nasty gouge in it and is cracked. Thanks again.
I've rebuilt a few L92's for use in LS1 equipped cars. It probably dropped a valve and thats why you have it now.

The main functional differences from an LS2 (4.0" bore) is the crankshaft reluctor wheel (58x signal) and the VVT setup implemented to the front of the camshaft. You would have to swap the crank gear from the newer 58x to the older 24x setup like the LS1's and LS2's used and also swap the camshaft to a non-VVT camshaft, you cannot use the 4x L92 gear anyway as the LS1 cars use a 2x signal. Use the LS2 upper timing gear to ditch the VVT phaser setup, then use the LS2 timing cover, not the L92.

The LS2 rotating assembly would not work due to bore sizing, LS2 = 4.00", L92 = 4.065".
Old 06-29-2008, 03:39 AM
TECH Regular

You are looking to transplant a L92 into a 2004 GTO correct.

That is the LS1 GTO and will need a couple of things that a 2005/2006 already have.
1. LS1 to LS2 Cam Sensor conversion
2. Rotating assembly will need the 24x timing gear on the crank (just ask for this on your 416 rotating assembly).

Along with what Joseph listed above about the Non-VVT cam's.
Have the heads checked and if they are good then get a L76 manifold/injector/fuel rail assembly (usually around $500 at the OEM like GM parts direct or SDparts). Note the Manifold assembly comes with a drive by wire 90mm TB. Your 2004 GTO uses a mechanical TB so an aftermarket 90mm (Nick williams, FAST, Holley, etc) will work. Holley's includes the cable bracket (I'm not sure about the others).

With the heads go ahead and have them cleaned up and upgraded to better springs (.600" capable bee hives or .650" capable dual springs) and get a decent cam to match up with the 416 bottom end.

Note: if the 04 is a manual you will definitely want to swap out to a stronger clutch. If its an automatic you will need to match up the converter with the cam choice.

And when all is said and done you will need to have the vehicle tuned. Hell you'll have to do the crank relearn on the ECU just to get it to crank on the GTO's (most of the time for motor swaps).

Check out ls1gto.com That is a forum dedicated to the 2004 to 2006 GTO. There are even specific write ups on doing LS7 conversions to 2004 GTO's (and they left that motor with the Ls7's Wet sump oiling system.

Oh that reminds me... Since you will probably be doing away with both AFM and VVT you will need to get a different oil pump. The one that is in that L92 is designed to put alot of oil for the AFM lifters. It has been stated at a couple of places that that oil pump is not good for Non AFM motors due to too much pressure. Look for a ported LS6 oil pump.

You can keep your GTO oil pickup and oil pan (they should just bolt directly up to the L92's bottom).
Old 07-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info. Yes it did drop a valve on two different motors. So I have two good heads and one good block. My car now makes 415rwhp cam only with the stock bottom end LS1 and manual trans, so I already have a better clutch(Spec 3+). I have someone to do the head work and I planned on a healthy cam. I was just unsure if the crankshaft and camshaft journals are the same size as a LS2. I'm actually thinking of going 427 now as the rotating assemblies are the same price as the 416. I've got to get it to the machine shop as I'm sure that labor on getting it to a 427 will probably be a bit more. Again thanks for all the information, i'm pretty sure I'll have more as the build and swap progresses.

Quick Reply: Need L92 Help Please.