Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Low Oil Indicator/Dipstick smells like gas

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Oil Indicator/Dipstick smells like gas

White smoke from exhaust was present at engine start up for less than 2 minutes. The low oil indicator light came on than off during a 20 mile drive. The engine cooled overnight and when started in morning had low oil light on again. I added 1 qt. and ran engine to operating temp. Checked oil dipstick and noticed steam (blow by) coming up as well as tiny air bubbles on dipstick. Oil filler cap and dipstick have smell of gasoline. This engine only has 3000 miles on it. Head gasket failure? Or should I look somewhere else?
Old 06-24-2008, 07:54 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your oil smells of gasoline check your fuel injectors. I had a leaky one and it caused my engine to blow up. I hadn't driven the car in about 5 days and it wiped the cylinder wall down and diluted the oil. When I went to start it some of the residual gasoline detonated and snapped something internally taking out the block and oil pan.

Head gasket symptoms are usually the milkshake like oil, coolant consumption, and smoke. You have at least two of the three and possibly the third. I'd do a compression and leakdown test to see where you're leaking from. The lack of proper lubrication from a leaking fuel injector could also over time cause ring failure. That's where you're blow by could be coming from. Either way it sounds like you're having some problems. What engine is it?

Quick Reply: Low Oil Indicator/Dipstick smells like gas