Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Have Pilot Bearing leak, causing oil in clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff@TotalPerformanceEng
Its physically impossible for engine oil to come out of the flywheel bolt holes. Their machined into the crank. Thats equivelant to brake fluid coming out of your wheel studs..
Not true at all. The flywheel bolt holes are drilled through the flange. Remove a bolt, look into the hole, and you'll see the back side of the rear counterweight INSIDE THE ENGINE.
That being said, it sounds like its coming from the plug in the back of the crank.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As much a I appreciate the correction, I decided to go out to my shop and have a look for myself. What I found was that I was in fact RIGHT. But just for ***** and giggles, I decided to make a few phone calls to determine if their was any recent changes. So I called Jimmy over in the tech dept at Eagle, and Art over in the tech dept at Callies. They BOTH said neither of ther cranks allow the flywheel bolts to go through into the internal cavity of the motor, and that it is physically impossible for oil to leak from the flywheel bolts. Nor have they EVER produced them that way.

Again, I appreciate the attempt at correcting me, but you my friend are the one who is incorrect..

With that said, even if you COULD see into the motor (which you dont), you would NOT see the counterweight. You would see the reluctor wheel.

But I do agree its the rear plug..
Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Not true at all. The flywheel bolt holes are drilled through the flange. Remove a bolt, look into the hole, and you'll see the back side of the rear counterweight INSIDE THE ENGINE.
That being said, it sounds like its coming from the plug in the back of the crank.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sometimes you just need to see (Callies 3.622) to believe.
When you look in the flywheel bolt hole you see the rear (#5) main cap.

Kurt
Attached Thumbnails Have Pilot Bearing leak, causing oil in clutch-2008_0720callies0012.jpg  
Old 07-21-2008, 01:59 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a callies 4.125" on my bench, as well as a Eagle 4.0". I've never used their 3.622"

Hence the reason I called them this morning to verify. I'm definately not doubting what your saying, cause you've got pictures. But all I'm saying is I called to verify with the company myself.
Originally Posted by 427
Sometimes you just need to see (Callies 3.622) to believe.
When you look in the flywheel bolt hole you see the rear (#5) main cap.

Kurt
Old 07-21-2008, 02:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff@TotalPerformanceEng
. They BOTH said neither of ther cranks allow the flywheel bolts to go through into the internal cavity of the motor, and that it is physically impossible for oil to leak from the flywheel bolts. Nor have they EVER produced them that way.

Interesting, we have engines here with a Callies Compstar and Callies Dragonslayer cranks and both of them have the flywheel bolts clear through.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:33 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, yeah, so its not the counterweight. It is inside the motor.
AND, every crank I've ever seen for an LS motor, the bolts were drilled through.
EVERY ONE. That includes the factory cranks. Eagle, Callies, etc. Maybe the people at their respective tech departments should get away from their desks, go out in the shop, and take a look see.

Quick Reply: Have Pilot Bearing leak, causing oil in clutch