Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LSX Block Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 07:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LSX Block Question

We have an LSX Block. We were going through the parts that come with the block. There is a groove cut in the block side of the cam retainer plate, but no seal?
Where do you get the seal for the LSX cam retainer plate? I can't seem to find any info on this. Anyone have any insight?
Old 07-03-2008, 11:05 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It should have had the seal included with it. Whoever sold it to you should have the seal to send to you

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 07-03-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks!

That is what I thought! I bought it frrom a major GM Dealership, who is not a sponsor here. I just sent then an email.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

FYI

This is the response I received just a few minutes ago.

"Actually, the seal is not included with the LSX block. It must be purchased separately. The only items included with the block are the front and rear plates and tappet guides. The P/N for the seal is 19166178 and it can be purchased on our website. I should also mention that neither GM nor we currently have stock on them. We will do our best to procure one and I will go ahead and send it to you at no charge once we get it. I do not know why GM doesn’t include it and we need to do a better job of pointing that out on our website so I feel sending one to you is the right thing to do. I will update you as soon as I have a better idea when we will get it."

I thought that it is strange that GM does not include the seal. I think I will email GMPP and ask them why it isn't included.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:10 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It comes with all the LSX blocks we have bought. You did get the o-ring seal for the rear cover right? There should be 3 black o-ring seals total, 2 for the rear cover, and 1 for the cam thrust plate.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...not to mention cam bearings, lifter guides, etc...had the crate been opened before you got ahold of it?
Old 07-03-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah. It was sealed up. Bagged was sealed I got everything else. Just missing that retainer seal. Maybe someone had a bad day when they were bagging the parts.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:48 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's definitely included...sounds like they were covering their A's and making weak excuses expecting nobody else to read the response. It's not that hard to "procure" a seal either...let me know if they don't get it done and I can get one fairly quickly in most cases

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 07-03-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
It's definitely included...sounds like they were covering their A's and making weak excuses expecting nobody else to read the response. It's not that hard to "procure" a seal either...let me know if they don't get it done and I can get one fairly quickly in most cases
Thanks Matt!

I will let you know if it they don't come through.

This is not a rush thing. This is going to take a 3 or 4 months to get everything together. The block was sitting in my garage for a couple of weeks. It is a good thing I decided to check it out.

I think I am going to take it to my machine shop next week, and let them check it over, just to make sure the block is OK.

Quick Reply: LSX Block Question