Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

4.00 inch stroke/ potential piston rock

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MAC4264
LSX block bored to 4.155, Eagle 6.125 rods, 4.00 stroke, 4.155 Wiseco pistons.
The orange one. I will agree that most are 5.5 and I stated that 5.625 in first post. In the bottom the LSX has a small relieve on the bore. That is what my claim has been since the very first post. Yes I know it will work on something with longer cylinder but there still is alot of 5.5 length stuff out there and the major size of the piston comes out of the block (Also what I claimed on my 402 some do learn from mistakes). Here is my theroy, that piston was designed for a large bore (obviously) and the only way to get there until now was to do a resleeve and it would work. Now you can do the LSX block and not resleeve and guess what it does not look like it will work. If Brian would have just heard me out that day on the phone and truly talked to me it could have been fixed and resolved behind close doors. But here I'm.
In other words I was trying to help Wiseco and they would not listen. Maybe now you can see my fustration with this, and I was not trying to start **** with anyone or tell them they did not know how to build pistons but just LOOK.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:46 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

I understand Chris. Wiseco has some skirts that do work and most of the 4.000 and longer stuff uses them unless it's a power adder type piston and then I am not a million percent sure as I have not used the one you are referring to at least yet. I have seen the next "looser" skirt that was the one you usually measure .800 down still work in the 4.000 stroke depending on the ring stack but I like the one that is even less taper they normally go with. I do know that both will work with no smoking but the tighter one would probably be nicer if you weren't trying to make 1000 hp and we have made that much even with that tighter skirt with no troubles but I no I am not a piston engineer so I leave that up to them.

Remember that the really bad stuff I was talking about was more than double the rock you were seeing and this stuff even had been running a few years but did smoke and use oil. I've even seen worse that was using a 4.250 stroke and the bad pistons with like probably over .200 rock and yet it ran for years but again consumed oil regularly. I know Wiseco is very knowledgeable about this limitation and they know the short bore length too so I was just saying that I do not think they would run anything that would cause any problems knowingly. I will see though when I get that one also and I will let you know too. Still after seeing hundreds of strokers and extreme strokers I am not worried about even D1 in that app and I don't think it would smoke at all.

FWIW though I also wish GM would have run a little more cylinder length in that block because the really huge diplacements I agree with you do not work well especially for guys wanting to run power adders AND run big strokes in those blocks with taller ring stacks. I usually don't say anything but I will not do that myself as I also do not think it is a good thing whatsoever. The thing is that me and Brian at Wiseco have gone over all my stuff and he knows all of this as well so I am sorry he and you got off on the wrong foot because he is a great guy to do stuff with as he is very aware of all the stuff involved with this. I also like that Diamond has cylinder length right on there build sheet as I don't know of anyone else that does.

Anyway sorry to also get off on the wrong foot with you as well and I do think your concerns are legit but I know Wiseco wouldn't knowingly again make anything that would be "bad" and I truly have never had any of those problems either with any of their stuff in my engines and all we do almost are the bigger engines. I also see a whole lot of them dynoed and rear wheel dynoed so I know if there's any big time smoking really fast and then there's the feedback as well with all the regulars in Houston here and it just has never been an issue. Of course we do a lot of stuff other places don't do but that is another story.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by racer7088
All the NOS deals we do are 4.000 stroke and they work great and always have. As I said on several of the JE deals I have seen they have some crazy taper and this effect can happen more when you have that. Steve Reinhard who won the overall trophy and event at the pump gas drags also had a 4.000 crank in an OEM block and his pistons looked great after he ran some pretty big NOS. The tuning is what will make or break a NOS in the end although that's the top we are talking about! We have had again great luck with Wiseco and Diamond and do not have the oil burning issues.

Remember if you really collapse the skirts for other reasons you will certainly have probelems no matter what pistons you are running.

Trust me guys ERIC knows his ****. if he told me to mill my right foot down .050 to make better contact with the pedal id listen to him .LOL

We pushed my 408 pretty hard on pumpgas and i drove it a couple thousand miles on the street.

Quick Reply: 4.00 inch stroke/ potential piston rock