Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Looking to start Frankenstien

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to start Frankenstien

I'm not sure if this is the proper thread and apologize if it's not. If so please direct me to the proper location. Thank you.

I'm getting ready to graduate college and start bringing in more money. Naturally most of it will go into my '01 WS6. I pretty much want to do a heart transplant. Basically pull the whole motor and start a new one from scratch. I want to know every piece of the engine and leave no doubt.

Before I'm told to start else where and the engine can wait, I am planning on starting with the suspension and drive train first. How ever in the mean time I want to be assembling the new engine on the side so when the rest of the car can handle it I can make the swap.

I want to start with an LS2 based bottom end but thats about as far as I have gotten. All I know is that there are a lot of similarities in the LS1 and LS2 but I'm not sure what they are. So while I'm looking for heads, cam, intake manifold, etc., I'm not sure what will be compatible as far as what is called a LS1 part but will work fine on a LS2 platform.

I guess my question is where can I find he shake down of what I can do and what is universal between the engines like a LS1 based top end on a LS2 bottom end. Also what I would have to do to the car itself to make the swap seamless. Like I said it's going into an '02 WS6.

Don't get me wrong, I know my fair share about engines and assembling them and have been around the block a few times as well, I just hate to say I'm not as familiar with the whole LS based family as I would like to be.

I also want every thing to be new!! I've had a lot of trouble with little stuff biting me in the *** and I want to just put it to bed!!!!

Thank you in advance for any input.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As someone graduating college I'm sure you know how to research and read. There are hundreds of threads and posts here with the information you're requesting.

Search is your friend.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

I did search but didn't find answers that were to my liking. This was all that I found:
You need new:
Valley cover
Timing chain cover
Timing chain and gear
Timing chain dampener
Cam sensor and electrical connector
Tap block for LS1 knock sensors
Plug PCV outlets on rear of each valve cover(2)
Run PCV lines per LS6
LS2 head bolts

Is this correct/everything?

I want to know every little detail.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

what are you trying to do with it? do you just want a ls2 or a stroked ls2? are you trying to run forced induction, or nitrous, or just heads and cam?

everything swaps over from your ls1 except what you mentioned. you dont need to tap for you knock sensors unless you are running some big headers. but it dosnt hurt to do it anyways.

read the stickies at the top of the subcategory that you post in. it has all the info you need on the swap. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/659189-ls2-conversion-info-inside.html
Old 08-03-2008, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

Perfect. That helped a lot. Thank you.
I'm wanting to go all motor and just a built LS2.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats most of it right there. Look at the LS2 conversion package from TSP as it has most of the stuff you need. Other than that, you figure things out along the way. You'll keep having more questions until its finished.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, I guess now I just have to configure the intake, heads and cam to all complement each other with the given displacement.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

if money is no object on this build i would buy a set of trickflow heads high compression heads, a vengeance racing vindicator cam, and a ported fast 90/90
Old 08-04-2008, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

I would go AFR or Livernois before trick flow. The only thing that decides the budget is my patience but I want to do it right and one time.
I was thinking a cam with 229/242 .631/.631 114 lsa

My next issue would be what size primaries to use on the headers:
1 3/4
1 7/8
1 3/4 stepped to 1 7/8
Old 08-04-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

well that is your decision on the heads. but i would do the opposite.

that is a small cam for what you probly going to want horsepower wise.

go with a 1 3/4 stepped to 1 7/8 if you are going with that small of a cam. if you go bigger go with a 1-7/8 stepped to 2"

what kind of power range are you shooting for?
Old 08-05-2008, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Shooting for about 550 to 600 NA. I won't be a DD but I want it to be as reliable as it can be. I need something better on gas. I know the more you squeeze out of it the shorter it lives, but with the technology today I'm thinking 600 NA should be feezable.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

that should be no problem but not with that cam.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

I checked out the vindicator and the number impressed me. So do you concur that with that cam or the equivalent, the rest built to par and one hell of a tune I could touch 600?
Old 08-05-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

you should be deff be around that level. you should also look in to high compression it will get you to that level with that setup. look for around 11-12:1cr
Old 08-05-2008, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I was for sure gonna run 11:1, that way pump gas isn't that bad.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you really want to get the best heads money you can buy arao just came out with a 4valve per cylinder head, and its a direct bolt on. no modifications to your motor. but they are 7500 for the heads, lifters,valve,springs,and covers.

this cam should give you what you are looking for with heads also makes about 593rwhp. looking at dyno results on here.

VRX7 244/248 .612/.596 112/113/114 LSA. the closer the LSA the more top rpm's you will have. so the more rpm you can get without valve float the more power you should make, as long as that cam makes power that high.

so the more rpm's you can get your motor to spin the more power you will make.

Last edited by Disturbed Bird; 08-05-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FireChickenws6
I'm not sure if this is the proper thread and apologize if it's not. If so please direct me to the proper location. Thank you.

I'm getting ready to graduate college and start bringing in more money. Naturally most of it will go into my '01 WS6. I pretty much want to do a heart transplant. Basically pull the whole motor and start a new one from scratch. I want to know every piece of the engine and leave no doubt.

Before I'm told to start else where and the engine can wait, I am planning on starting with the suspension and drive train first. How ever in the mean time I want to be assembling the new engine on the side so when the rest of the car can handle it I can make the swap.

I want to start with an LS2 based bottom end but thats about as far as I have gotten. All I know is that there are a lot of similarities in the LS1 and LS2 but I'm not sure what they are. So while I'm looking for heads, cam, intake manifold, etc., I'm not sure what will be compatible as far as what is called a LS1 part but will work fine on a LS2 platform.

I guess my question is where can I find he shake down of what I can do and what is universal between the engines like a LS1 based top end on a LS2 bottom end. Also what I would have to do to the car itself to make the swap seamless. Like I said it's going into an '02 WS6.

Don't get me wrong, I know my fair share about engines and assembling them and have been around the block a few times as well, I just hate to say I'm not as familiar with the whole LS based family as I would like to be.

I also want every thing to be new!! I've had a lot of trouble with little stuff biting me in the *** and I want to just put it to bed!!!!

Thank you in advance for any input.
so what do you actually have??? in the 2nd paragraph you state you have an 01' ws6 and in the 5th paragraph you state its going in your 02' ws6. so what do you have??? or are you just tire kickin??
Old 08-07-2008, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Brain Fart. I have a 2001 Trans-am WS.6 M6 NBM.

I'm looking to spin it about 7 grand and that is way to much for a set of heads. If I don't get 600 I won't cry over it but I'm not trying to have the baddest thing out there. I just want it respectable and to be able to kick the '03 cobras *** that live down the street If I have to I might spray it but it won't be a nitrous built engine. A small shot to top it off won't hurt if it is tuned right.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont know how your going to spend $7,000 and get a moded ls2. lets say $4,700 for the short block, $2,500 for the AFR heads all ready at $7,200 not including new intake manifold, injectors, cam, pushrods, lifters, clutch, oil, gaskets, headers, and getting it tuned. and some other little things i left out. be prepared to spend around $12-$15,000
Old 08-08-2008, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

I was talking 7000 rpm I'm willing to spend what it takes and yes I have realized it is going to be 12 large+ to do this how I want.

Quick Reply: Looking to start Frankenstien