Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

ls1 broken-rebuild or go with lq9/l92 pkg.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 broken-rebuild or go with lq9/l92 pkg.

Since my bearings went bad on my 99 formula over the weekend I've been searching and educating my self on what to do with my cars new engine choices. I have an in so I can get GM parts for wholesale and thats where I am thinking to build an lq9 block with l92 head package. The performance shop owner whom I trust and who built my trans, told me instead I should look into reusing as much as I can put a set of cnced 5.3 truck heads and maybe a stroker kit. He said I should not need the iron block because plans do not include FI or nitrous. I want the most bang for my buck which is streetable, but it won't be my daily driver I got a 91 GTA 2 weeks ago. I have a budget of about 5k total and I want to try and stick to it as best as humanly possible. Either route I go I will have a nice custom cam to make the most of my package. Please offer your help and opinions and experience as I continue my research. I've had the car for almost 3 years and I don't have any money into the engine except an intake so I don't have much into that part of the car. I just want to be happy with my decision at the end of things thanks for the input in advance.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If your going with him to do the build why aren't you following his advice is the bigger question?

I know how I would advise my customers and its contrary to what your getting for advice so I'll leave it at that.

You've already decided on your builder you should have at least enough faith in him to trust his decisions.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:50 PM
Launching!

if you've got 5 grand to spend go the 6.0 with the l92 heads. there is no replacement for cubic inch's. your machine shop guy is most likely trying to save you some money. this may be an oportunity for you to upgrade, so take it!
Old 08-12-2008, 01:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'd spend about 2000 in a rotating assembly & probably $800 in machine work & assembly building your ls1 into a 383. From there a good camshaft & a ported set of heads like our PRC 5.3l heads or the PRC LS6 heads would be a nice combo. I think you'd spend close to that $5000 mark & get a built forged bottom end rather than a stock piston stock rod setup.

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=884&catid=88

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...id=84&catid=20

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=898&catid=44
Old 08-13-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 68 RS Convertible
if you've got 5 grand to spend go the 6.0 with the l92 heads. there is no replacement for cubic inch's. your machine shop guy is most likely trying to save you some money. this may be an oportunity for you to upgrade, so take it!
I'm going to turn this deal into an upgrade either way I go. Its just his initial thought was work with what I've got and the fact that he says unless I'm boosting or FI I simply don't need the expense of a new iron block. Decisions decisions...

My dad says he will help me with the funding on the condition that I get a shortblock and put it back stock. He wants no part of more performance, but I'll be working on that...

The weight isssue is not a big deal with the iron block because I would delete the AC to save 100lbs . I know this is my decision to go down different routes, but I need some kind of information to stand out to me either way about which way to go.

Thanks for the opinions so far keep em coming.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:21 PM
9 Second Club

L92 castings, intake etc are pretty cheap so there's no reason you can't do a stroker with L92's if you're considering a larger cube motor. Plus you can sell some of your stock stuff to make up some cost.
5k budget can get you a nice heads and cam that will put you in the 10's no problem with the right set up.
Not sure how many shops have experience with the L92's, not sure if your shop does or if they can tune it so it works right.
You're in NJ, why don't you give Cartek a call?
They've been doing work with the L92's and they have very fast heads and cam packages that are very streetable.
My motor has L92 heads (441 cu.)
Hydrolic roller and street driven. Mid 9's so far

-Mark

Quick Reply: ls1 broken-rebuild or go with lq9/l92 pkg.