Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

poor performance new combo L92

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default poor performance new combo L92

Well I have always had solid roller small blocks my last one was a 383 that made 603hp N/A. And my other car I bought the engine from LME. I just built another car a 2001 camaro with a 408 and a L92 topend I had it tuned and the problem I have is I have been back to the tuner 5 times at $200 a rip because the car has a weird hesitation when you hit the throttle to rev it up in park it just waits about 3 seconds the jumps to 3000rpm. In gear it will sound like it want to stall then smoke the tires or stubble a couple seconds more then burn the tires. I have had it on the dyno on the street everywhere and one secopnd its fine and the next its cutting out from an idle. You cannot punch the gas anything lower than 1300-1400 rpm ? What could this be ? The guy that tuned it came very highly recomended on here ? I am starting to consider going to a carb ? I have never had a problem like this with a carb setup. The other thing is this seems worse in closed loop ? could it be the cam 248/250 112 hydraulic roller ?
Old 08-15-2008, 11:51 AM
Banned

Feel free to give us a call, we can figure it our for you

We have over 20+ years tuning experience with EFI and 10+ years with the LS series of engine.

Max
Old 08-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Launching!

I will be calling this is my last resort for a tune I have tried 3 other places New Era being one and they do not seem very experienced in a setup like mine with a bigger cam and street driven alot. Every time I go back to get one problem fixed another pops up and its not the car because it will go from being a dead spot at 3000 rpm to 1200 rpm
Old 08-15-2008, 04:34 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a lot of overlap for those heads. That seems to be a common thing with the L92 heads. I don't cam designers have them quite figured out yet.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

i had similar problems with my l92 headed 427 (255/264@.050"114lc),went to a top tuner and he had not picked up that the coolant sensor wiring was internally touching each other.giving a false reading making it sense wrong (rich,rich,and richer,dam).long story short swapped out cam and fitted in a 236/246@.050"114l/c,and changed my tuner all is sweet now it hammers and better on fuel too.
just be aware l92s on the street/strip vehicle dont like too much overlap,different story for cathedral style......just my experience anyway.....
hope this helps out and let us know how you go....
cheers dave.

vn commodore,iron 427,dd,waiting on street warrior.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

My 403 has got 236-248 but on a 115+1 and I have it idleing pretty good. I think I still have a similar hesitation issue to what you are talking about though. I think it needs more tip-in air, but I haven't had time to mess with it. Mine just barely does it and only from a stop.

My personal opinion is that your tuner is screwing you, too. $200 a pop to fix the tune? That is crap.

-Geoff
Old 08-15-2008, 05:36 PM
9 Second Club

Cartek built and tuned my N/A L92 441 cu. motor.
Drives great on the street and runs in 9's at the track.
I would definately call them if I were you.

-Mark
Old 08-15-2008, 06:36 PM
Launching!

The car idles now except for the hesitation and in gear it doesnt want to go until about 2500rpm and ran great on the original tune from my tuner but its was a half tune with just the MAF settings and TPS he had the 02's deleted i dont know why ?

I just tossed on a carb setup with the msd 6010 and it runs incredible with a holey 950hp so i know its not the engine. I have always had carb stuff and cannot tune my own injected stuff so it really sucks i am very hands on.

I have another L92 car with basically the same setup with injection and it runs incredible its strictly a nitrous race car it has been low 9's but its speed density and was tuned in CA were i bought it from.
I dont see how this car being almost indentical would be so much different acting ? the only difference is i need it to run in closed loop for inspections in NY
Old 08-15-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 3timeracin
The car idles now except for the hesitation and in gear it doesnt want to go until about 2500rpm and ran great on the original tune from my tuner but its was a half tune with just the MAF settings and TPS he had the 02's deleted i dont know why ?

I just tossed on a carb setup with the msd 6010 and it runs incredible with a holey 950hp so i know its not the engine. I have always had carb stuff and cannot tune my own injected stuff so it really sucks i am very hands on.

I have another L92 car with basically the same setup with injection and it runs incredible its strictly a nitrous race car it has been low 9's but its speed density and was tuned in CA were i bought it from.
I dont see how this car being almost indentical would be so much different acting ? the only difference is i need it to run in closed loop for inspections in NY
those people that tuned your car before just took your money, i would be inquiring about a refund or something.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Launching!

It was new era last 2 times they seemed very capable ? But everytime I would ask a question the answer was "cars like this are very hard to tune the big cam....the carb intake with elbow....all makes it very hard then you add closed loop its really tuff". I dont know I have never done Hp tuners but the car acts like a carb car with a flat or lean spot like not enough accelerator pump ? but its injected so I have no idea and I cant find anybody near by to tune ? it takes me 3 hours and $150 in gas to trailer there everytime and I cant afford to keep spending $350 every week to go back and have it tuned on. If there is anybody that can help me and i dont mean charge me $500 to look at it please chime in ? I have spent 1 year building this car and every dime I have and dont have trying to get it running right. I was so excited to have an injected car till now this really sucks summer is almost over and i have not been able to even drive this car 1 time. I read alot of happy customers from those guys but I dont know ? I am calling new era monday to talk to Mike to see what the deal is ?
Old 08-16-2008, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 3timeracin
It was new era last 2 times they seemed very capable ? But everytime I would ask a question the answer was "cars like this are very hard to tune the big cam....the carb intake with elbow....all makes it very hard then you add closed loop its really tuff".
Wow, I guess the fact that they can get it idleing and driving in closed loop is somewhat of an accomplishment! Usually you have to do some tricking of the PCM to get it to idle with the O2 sensors because a high overlap cam passes so much raw fuel. When it transitions between the idle tricks and regular driving, you can get that little blip you are describing. Ask your tuner what he has done to get it to idle and post it up here.

You might want to try a thread in the tuning forum too. Go buy some tuning software too. It sounds like you know your way around a motor. You should be able to figure out tuning.

-Geoff
Old 08-16-2008, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

I had to tune without o2's up untill 1200 rpms and then turn them back on. my car idles and drives great like this.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:27 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by AINT SKEERED
I had to tune without o2's up untill 1200 rpms and then turn them back on. my car idles and drives great like this.
My car has no O2's at all. Interesting, how did you figure that out?
Old 08-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Launching!

I have had several cars and been in the low eights even before so i can tell what somehting is doing even if i cant fix it like now, but Im old school never had injected stuff like this always big carbs it makes me feel hopeless because I am usd getting there and tuning myself now I am at someone elses mercy and the closest shop is 3 hours away. New York makes it tough too, for inspection it has to run it closed loop to pass ? I dont know what they did for the 02 setting I just know he tols me to put 2 new ones in for tuning the closed loop ? I have gone 9.36 with this engine a different cam 242/250 .620/.620 112 and a speed density tune a friend did half *** he said. I guess I need to look foward to next year maybe I'll get to drive then ?

Quick Reply: poor performance new combo L92