Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

WHich engine oil for break in?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default WHich engine oil for break in?

Engine is 402 LS2 w/forged pistons. So which oil and for how long?
Old 08-13-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to talk to your engine builder for that.

If you have already done that and are looking for other opinions do a search, there's a lot of threads on that.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:19 PM
FormerVendor

Shell Rotella-T 15/40 Organic Oil. It can be gotten pretty much anywhere for 11 bucks a gallon.. well, it is shell oil, so its probably gone to about 90 dollars a gallon now..

Why?? Cause its one of the few remaining oils without all of the detergent bullshit, that doesnt help protect the bearings.

I use it 100% of the time.

I use it for 2 full oil/filter changes. One after no more than 15 minutes or full operating temp, and one after 100 miles. After that, I switch to castrol for about 2500 miles. Then, I go synthetic..
Old 08-14-2008, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jermzz
You need to talk to your engine builder for that.

If you have already done that and are looking for other opinions do a search, there's a lot of threads on that.

Originally Posted by Jeff@TotalPerformanceEng
Shell Rotella-T 15/40 Organic Oil. It can be gotten pretty much anywhere for 11 bucks a gallon.. well, it is shell oil, so its probably gone to about 90 dollars a gallon now..

Why?? Cause its one of the few remaining oils without all of the detergent bullshit, that doesnt help protect the bearings.

I use it for 2 full oil/filter changes. One after no more than 15 minutes or full operating temp, and one after 100 miles. After that, I switch to castrol for about 2500 miles. Then, I go synthetic..

Thanks for the USEFUL info. When I used to fly, we used mineral oil in new engines. I never really asked the mechanics why, but the engines always ran good later.

I guess I just never really thought about anything but synthetic after buying a few new LSX engines that come with Mobile-1 Syn. Then again, I guess the hyper-Eutectic pistons had tighter wall clearances.

So far my engine has used about a quart of oil in 800 miles, but it has no lack of power. Just trying to stop any problems before they begin.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:31 AM
TECH Resident

Look back at old file>>>>>>
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=oil+break

Very interesting to read..I think about using Shell 30WT with Camp cam #154 for first inital 200 miles on my newer LS2 carbed.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 03EBZ06

Thanks for the USEFUL info. When I used to fly, we used mineral oil in new engines. I never really asked the mechanics why, but the engines always ran good later.

I guess I just never really thought about anything but synthetic after buying a few new LSX engines that come with Mobile-1 Syn. Then again, I guess the hyper-Eutectic pistons had tighter wall clearances.

So far my engine has used about a quart of oil in 800 miles, but it has no lack of power. Just trying to stop any problems before they begin.
haha. Ok smart guy, you're the boss.

Who buys an engine and doesn't ask the builder what breakin procedure they recommend?

in 800 miles your rings have seated all they're gonna.

Are you using synthetic to break in the motor?
Old 08-14-2008, 04:55 AM
FormerVendor

Ever since the EPA forced the oil companies to reformulate their oil a few years ago for cat efficiency, their is significantly less ZDDP in the oil. ZDDP is what helps keep your bearings nice and slick while your breaking in your rings. Diesels are not regulated like gasoline engines, so you can still buy it.

After a few hundred miles, you've had sufficient break in to switch to a low ZDDP oil. (Which is basically every other street oil out there.)

DO NOT...I repeat.. DO NOT run synthetic oil in your car for the first few thousand miles. If you do, you will be drinking oil for good. Synthetic doesnt allow your rings to seat.

GM uses a special rings that seats right away, so they can get away with it. But the ne hardened rings we use in aftermarket motors, dont have that same luxury...

HTH,

Jeff
Originally Posted by 03EBZ06

Old 08-14-2008, 06:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff@TotalPerformanceEng

I agree with Jeff on Rotella for 2 oil changes but I like to run Valvoline NFS Racing Oil where Jeff runs Castrol Dino oil. Both Rotella and Valvoline NFS contain ZDDP which was taken out of other oils a few years back. ZDDP is an anti-scuff additive.

My 403 burns or uses no oil whatsoever!
Old 08-14-2008, 08:27 AM
11 Second Club

i am running the valvoline nfs oil with the zddp, and will always run it in this engine, i change the oil on a very regular basis, maybe the max is every 1500 miles. On break in i even added a zddp additive that i have for older flat tappet cam vehicles i change oil on.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:47 PM
Launching!

Rotella. It's high in zinc and good for break-in.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:04 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I use the Joe Gibbs break in oil.

Robin
Old 08-14-2008, 02:26 PM
10 Second Club

Pretty much the same for me; 2 oil changes with Rotella and switch to synthetic after that. After assembly, I had left over GM Engine Oil Supplement, so I added that to the oil for the first change.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:29 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you run the Rotella, you'll want to add in a bottle of the GM EOS. Rotella does not have the high levels of ZDDP that it used to, and the EOS is a great way to supplement that. We also like the Valvoline Racing oil and Joe Gibbs's as well!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 08-14-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

What about Comp Cam#154 come with Shell Rotella-T ? I plan buy Shell Rotella T at Walmart.
I never see Valonline NFS around the auto parts store. O'Riley's???

What about roller valves? Ok to use it???

Last edited by Jeff Smith; 08-14-2008 at 04:29 PM. Reason: add
Old 08-14-2008, 05:16 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?product=50

Be sure it is their RACING oil as shown above. Around here you can get it at Advance Auto Parts in several weights. If you grab the part number off their site for whichever weight you want, you can also order it online from several places at good prices.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 08-14-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

napa also carrys the valvoline NSL oil
Old 08-14-2008, 05:32 PM
11 Second Club

+10000 on the non detergent. Atleast thats what I"ve always been told

Quick Reply: WHich engine oil for break in?